Opinions on Chrysler Corp. - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Opinions on Chrysler Corp. in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I work at a used car dealership and throughout my years there I have seen Chrysler be consistant in one ...
    Slick Black Cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Opinions on Chrysler Corp.

I work at a used car dealership and throughout my years there I have seen Chrysler be consistant in one aspect: manufacturing crap. It it nothing more than a grab bag of junk parts tossed into a very pretty box. Last month we had 2 Intrepid (99-00) transmisssinons go out and a 99 300M (whose driver and pass widdows were inop.) spin a bearing. This is a joke. How about a 03 Neon with 32K miles that leaks oil and knocks! The one thing Chrysler has that keeps them afloat is one heck of a design team. The 300C, Prowler, Crossfire, Viper, Pacifica, even the PT Cruiser (simply for popularity reasons) all set the bar in consumer vehicle dynamics. Chrysler had better pick up some clues from Mecredes quality pretty damn quick or they should take a lesson from Kia and just start including a free vehicle with every purchace (a back up you know).

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

"'59 Imperial "

didnt that have the pushbutton shifter ? or am i thinking about the fury again ?

there still isnt a beatter sound than an old chrysler v8 starting up

i see alot of 2.4l chrysler 4s going up in smoke , something in the head goes and instaly looses all oil and coolant and greandes the engine all in about 1 minute , ususly does this at highway speeds , just all at once out of nowhere "BOOM". Rare to see any engine do that but very common on the older design 2.4

Raze is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 90 Eldo -SOLD-, 98 ETC -SOLD-, 86 XR4Ti Track Car, 07 Ranger

My father has had 2 Intrepids over the last 7 years, both are company cars. The first he put 170k on with minimum maintenance in 5 years, I think it went to the shop for a new AC compressor, fuel pump, and waterpump, and 2 sets of tires. He went 10kish between oil changes due to his schedule. The company basically gave it to him and gave him a new one. The old one was a 1997 which my younger brother now drives happily at 215k on the clock and still running fine (though it does leak oil). His new one is a 2002 and he's already put 78k on it and it has never had a problem. These are different style years as well as they were redesigned in 2000/1ish.

Some of our neighbors have Intrepids as well and all of them are very satisfied with the reliability of the car. It's not fancy and not the most comfortable, but they LAST...

I know most on this board are biased toward GM but I have to say that I was mighty tempted to go get an Intrepid because they're dirt cheap new, ride well, and are fairly bulletproof. I can't speak on any other Chrysler/Dodges

Imprl59 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneage_Caddy
    "'59 Imperial "

didnt that have the pushbutton shifter ? or am i thinking about the fury again ?
    Yes. Pushbutton trans was common across the Chrysler line up until 64ish.

Steve B.

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by Imprl59
    I own two classic Chryslers. '59 Imperial and a '68 Newport convertible. Both of those are tanks that will out live me.

Had a '96 Ram that had five transmission rebuilds before 60k.
    Steve B.
    Obviously...they don't built them like they used to.

Vesicant is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None :(

By far the transmission, the shift points and their engineering' were terrible, as were the V6's of the 90's- 2000.

I remember a friend who called up a GM dealer and asked how many transmissions he had in stock ... 1. Called up a Chrysler dealer and asked them...

13 transmissions. :drinker

Msilva954 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

Rolex, They already do that, its called the SLK320.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

I like MB drivetrains and interiors, but it would be nasty if MB electronics made their way into Chrysler cars.

JoeKr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS 3.6l SFI 6MT

My experience with the following...

'00 Cherokee - leased for three years @ 50,000 miles.
    Rotors needed to be replaced every 5,000 to 7,500 miles.
    Had to argue with dealership all of the time.
    HVAC problems @ 35,000 miles.
    Wouldn't buy it after lease due to these two issues.
    Positive - the old time 4.0 l straight six is a great, reliable engine. No need for the V8

"00 Intrepid ES 90,000 miles
    Very poor interior fit and finish.
    Noisy
    Replace the electric door locks on all doors.
    2.7 l V6 is just too small for this size vehicle.
    Positive - larger interior room.

Great exterior styling - mechanical and interior are inferior to other mfrs.

I have the impression they design systems to last the warranty period then they just wear out when compared to other brands I have owned.

This is the primary reason why I did not bite on the 300C as my next purchase . I went with the CTS.

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

I've owned several Imperials, and never had any major problems with them. My son has a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4X4 and at 20,500 miles it needs rotors & pads, and the speed control quit working. Other than that, it's been okay. The electric seat heater (driver side) quit, and they installed a new one under warrantee. The 4.0L is great and shes quite and pulls like a tank in the snow. If they didn't discontinue it, I'd buy another.

68CoupeDeVille is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I know four people with Jeep products (2 Grand Cherokees, 1 Cherokee, 1 Liberty). All three have less than 80k miles. All three have had or currently suffer from tansmission and/or electrical problems. I know anectodal evidence shouldn't be used as a basis for far-reaching conclusions but there seems to be a lot of people out there having significant quality issues with these vehicles. Maybe the rest of the Chrysler line up is better, but IMOHO I avoid Chrysler, at least for now.

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

My friend has a dodge NEON RT and its a really nice car..... I mean its no Q45 or anything, but for what it is its pretty nice... interior is really nice, feels very solid, the "carbon fiber stuff" around the radio and stuff is unnecessary and hurts an already nice looking interior... The only thing I hate is when its at idle (idles at like 900) the idle is VERY rough.... Very bouncy...

For the money its quite a car I think......

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

My experiances

My 86 Dodge Omni - 2.2l, good little econobox, about 160k on regular maintenence, only complaint is the water temp is always almost in the red.

My uncle's 96 Plymouth Breeze - 2.0l, the 2.0 is too weenie for the car, but great mileage and no major problems.

My friends 93? Cherokee - 4.0 i6, this vehicle is solid. The 4.0 is a great engine, and everything else seems to always work.

I'm considering picking up a nice used 94-99 LHS. There aren't many problems with them, they're about the size of the Devilles from the same years, but they only have a 3.5 v6 (214hp), better mileage though.

FSU_Noles is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 Allante, 06 CTS

Granted Dodge/Chrysler is coming out with some really aggresive looking vehicles (300 & Magnum) and while at a Saab dealer I looked at a 300 out of curiosity. The interior and dash was sparse and cheap looking even by Chrysler standards. The biggest problem with a Chrysler is that they depreciate so much when you drive them off the lot they never recover to have a decent resale value.

And there is that little thing about being owned by a foreign company....

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Chrysler has a couple of MAJOR issues that they need to work out... Transmissions and Paint.

No domestic has more paint problems than Chrysler, and for some people, this can be worse than rebuilding a transmission when youre talking about a Full sized van, or SUV. Look around, you will see countless Neons and Intrepids with layers of paint quite literally "peeling" off like a bad sunburn. This is absolutely unacceptable, and I hope theyve been working to correct it.

I owned two Grand Cherokees, a 97 and a 99. I always wanted a Jeep for as long as I could remember, but in all honesty, after having those two I will probably never consider any Chrysler product again EXCEPT for a cherry 2001 REGULAR Cherokee 60th Anniversary or Limited. Mainly because thats really an AMC Design with the bulletproof 4.0L Inline Six and a great 4wd system. HOWEVER, as if tranny and paint problems werent enough, for the LONGEST time, the Jeeps and the RAM Trucks also suffered from PISS POOR Dana 35 and 44 aluminum axles which were known to go out for no reason whatsoever and were cheaply built. Luckily Chrysler learned its lesson on this one and is now sourcing its axles elsewhere.

The 300C and company are great cars, dont get me wrong, but I will personally not purchase another Chrysler product, short of the above mentioned Cherokee, or perhaps the SRT-10 which is really just a Viper with a truck body, and no problematic auto tranny.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.