Cadillac Owners Forum banner
18K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  2blackcaddies 
#1 ·
Went to play tennis late this afternoon, and got to park right next to one. Black, with black powdercoated rims, blacked out lights (including headlights), and orange-ish brembo brakes. took some pictures, but on the phone, so i'll post them in a little bit.

guy was really cool. said he'd just picked it up last week.

personally, this is the first time i've ever seen one on the streets. i'd seen them at shows, but never actually driving.

the car looked awesome in the day, and even better when he left at night.

got to talk to him a little bit. i asked him if the car was "everything they say it is". he said "oh yeah. and more".
only had the car for a week, but he's already been to the track 3 times =P

#5 ·
Actually its take every measure to squeeze every ounze of power and lighten it as much as possible..That the jap methodology....

How many here earthed their cars?
Have Hyper voltage to control alternator spikes?
How many changed out as many parts for lighter composites?

#13 ·
Actually its take every measure to squeeze every ounze of power and lighten it as much as possible..That the jap methodology...
So in other words you hate Japanese cars. But just for arguments sake

Chevrolet Corvette Z06

0-60 mph: 3.7
1/4: 11.7
Source: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0612_2006_sport_coupe_comparison/specs_pricing.html

Nissan GT-R

0-60 mph: 3.6
1/4: 11.6
Source: http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/2009/02/2009-nissan-gt-r-reprogrammed-our-gt-r-gets-quicker.html

Japanese methodology > huge displacement engine

#17 ·
The GT-R. Godzilla. The Prince of Peace. Savior of Mankind. Zeus. Also the dead last place finisher in this recent comparo!

The summary from Pro race driver Didier Theys:

Theys had this to say: "With the other cars you can control understeer with the throttle. But in the GT-R, more throttle means more understeer. When you reach the limit, though, it suddenly goes into snap oversteer. Engine response is very nice. Linear torque. Steering and braking feel are quite good. But mostly it understeers like a pig."

GT-R lap time: 58.1 seconds.

The GT-R finished a mere tick behind the Ferrari, but well off the pace of the Porsche and the ZR1. And while Theys had mostly good things to say about the handling of the top three, in general he was critical of the Nissan. "Lack of power is a reasonable excuse," he said, "but lack of handling is not."

#18 ·
Base Prices for cars in said comarison

Corvette ZR1: $106,520
Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano: $317,595
Porsche 911 GT2: $192,560
GT-R: $77,840

0-60 mph from said comparison:

ZR1: 3.3
599: 3.2
GT2: 3.4
GT-R: 3.2

1/4:

ZR1: 11.2
599: 11.3
GT2: 11.4
GT-R: 11.6

Lap Time:

ZR1: 56.9 seconds
599: 58.0 seconds
GT2: 57.5 seconds
GT-R: 58.1 seconds

So in other words the GT-R didn't beat a stripped down race car in the GT2, or a $300k+ Ferrari (even though it was right there with it in damn near every test), or the ungodly ZR1 but with the GT-R being cheaper by more then $28k to the next cheapest car in the test and giving up 50 hp to the next lowest powered car it's numbers are damn impressive. But my big question from that test is the part you quoted Tony. They dog the GT-R for "understeering and having a lack of handling" but yet it was .1 seconds behind the Ferrari and in the figure 8 test they got a 25.0 seconds @ 0.79 g (avg) while the GT-R did it in 24.1 seconds @ 0.86 g (avg). The ZR1 averaged 0.87 while the GT2 averaged 0.90 so it was right there with the ZR1 when it comes to how well it handled in that test so who knows what they're talking about. We love the Ferrari and it's $300k+ price tag but the $77k GT-R handles for crap but yet it beat the Ferrari in many handling tests and was only .1 second behind the Ferrari in our fastest lap but were going to give second place to the Ferrari and last place to the GT-R. :cookoo:

#19 ·
Haven't you argued against Domestic manufacturers playing the "value card" in other threads before?

So let me see if I understand the "Blackout Logic": An XLR-V outperforms an SL550 AND is $25,000 less, but you consider it a joke because the interior isn't quite as well put together. A Nissan that "understeers like a pig" however, is totally amazing just because it's $29,000 less than a ZR-1 and "sort of" hangs in the same performance league? Pfffffffft.

The proximity of lap times can be attributed to several things, not least of which is that a Pro race driver can overcome weaknesses in the handling. The GT-R also went last, at which time the driver had become more comfortable with the course and conditions. Had he run the Ferrari or ZR1 again, I'm sure the lap times would have been even faster.

GT-R: Cool, but not as great as everyone makes it out to be.

#20 ·
But it doesn't make sense with the GT-R and 599. The 599 costs almost 4x as much as the GT-R but yet it's .1 faster then it around the road course, came in last place in the figure 8 test, has the same 0-60 time, is a couple of tenths of a second faster in the 1/4 but yet the GT-R's handling was the worst of the group so then if that's the case the 599 would beat the GT-R in the corners for the road course, well then the 599 should have the acceleration advantage on the straights seeing that it has 132 more hp then the GT-R? So it has all of the advantages but yet still only runs .1 second quicker and on top of which comes in 2nd place? The GT2 shouldn't have even been in the test seeing that it's a stripped out race car while the other 3 have full interiors. Something is fishy with the numbers and/or with the way they came to the conclusion that they did come up with. But you say the GT-R is cool but not as great as everyone makes it out to be but yet it's beating cars that are over 3x it's price. Like it or not the car is amazing

#22 ·
What's the latest word about the trans failures that plagued the first run of GTRs? I would be one P.O.'d dude if I dropped 70k on Nissan's "supercar killer" only to have the slushbox take a dump on me, and then be denied warranty coverage.

#23 ·
#24 ·
The Ferrari is an underperformer. Even on the 'Ring, its 20 seconds off the pace of the other 3 in this test. If I could afford it thats what Id buy, even if the other 3 are better performers. In fact, If I had the money for the 599, Id have it AND a ZR1.
IF I could only afford the GT-R, Id have some kids instead, buy a van, and wait for death...
Seriously, Id rather have a much slower M3 or CTS-V than a GT-R.
Theres no way I could buy a car that sounds as boring as the GTR does...And apparently drives as boringly. A sports car should make you want to leave the bed of a beautiful women, late at night, and go for a drive. The GT-R makes me yawn.... And a car loses any sense of 'cool' when you have to keep explaining why it is...

#27 ·
Like Ive said in the past...theres no way I could ever own a sports car that sounds horrible and boring and uninspiring. The GTR has the most timid exhuast note of a high performance sports car IVe ever heard. To others this might be a small point, but its a deal breaker for me. Its a great performer, and the looks have grown on me tho.

#33 ·
Wow a lot of haters here. I almost bought a CTS-V. Had the coupe been out when I was looking I may have, considering the deals they were offering at the time (late last summer here in Detroit). I was seriously impressed with the interior, the 6 speed, the engine, the clutch everything apart from the bland 4 door look. I don't have any kids, don't haul stuff, don't even need a backseat. After driving many cars and doing some comparisons I ended up buying a GTR (slightly used) for $65K. I couldn't be happier. Raced a new V last night. Not sure if anyone on here. He kept up ok but no comparison even on the highway. Looking at the numbers the GTR guys are laying down and the numbers the V guys are laying down, I am glad I made the choice I made. Is it everyone's choice? No not at all but I certainly get almost celebrity like status everywhere I go and the car performs exactly like what I wanted (well not exactly, trans and turbo upgrades coming next month). I respect the V as well as the Z-06 and of course the ZR1 but that is why we have different cars, we all have different priorities.
Youd need to be around here longer then 4 minutes to realize that this thread wasnt about hating the GT-R, but about hating the GT-R fanboys. This thread was another in a long line of GT-R discussions, generally started by some japanese fanboy with too much access to the intarweb. At some point, every single vehicle that GM ever made was compared to the GT-R. And this didnt just affect GM boards. Every single board I was a member of had comparisons to the GT-R. Got an F350 with a chip and a tow package? Its no match for the GT-R's immense 4wd tq. Got a van that can haul 7 people? A GT-R could do it faster. Like to work in your garden? A GT-R is better then a rake, because its has awd and turbos, obviously.

#35 · (Edited by Moderator)
*****OPINION PIECE******

The GTR is ugly as sin, sounds terrible, DOES NOT allow the driver to control much of anything cuz the computer does it all (no manual trans either), and had the dashboard designed by some video game guys. That is lame. It's also too expensive. If a GTR and a C5 were offered to me for free, and I couldn't sell whatever I picked, I'd pick the C5.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.