Nissan GTR - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Nissan GTR in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; how about ZR-1 0-60 in 3.3 1/4 in 11.4 And 1.1g (not 1.01) to boot Source: road and track, 2-06 ...
    timothyr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 FWB d'Elegance, 92 deVille, 93 Seville, 06 DTS

Re: Nissan GTR

how about ZR-1
    0-60 in 3.3
    1/4 in 11.4
    And 1.1g (not 1.01) to boot

Source: road and track, 2-06 cover

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

The GT-R. Godzilla. The Prince of Peace. Savior of Mankind. Zeus. Also the dead last place finisher in this recent comparo!

The summary from Pro race driver Didier Theys:

Theys had this to say: "With the other cars you can control understeer with the throttle. But in the GT-R, more throttle means more understeer. When you reach the limit, though, it suddenly goes into snap oversteer. Engine response is very nice. Linear torque. Steering and braking feel are quite good. But mostly it understeers like a pig."

GT-R lap time: 58.1 seconds.

The GT-R finished a mere tick behind the Ferrari, but well off the pace of the Porsche and the ZR1. And while Theys had mostly good things to say about the handling of the top three, in general he was critical of the Nissan. "Lack of power is a reasonable excuse," he said, "but lack of handling is not."
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

Quote Originally Posted by The Tony Show View Post
    The GT-R. Godzilla. The Prince of Peace. Savior of Mankind. Zeus. Also the dead last place finisher in this recent comparo!

The summary from Pro race driver Didier Theys:
    Base Prices for cars in said comarison

Corvette ZR1: $106,520
    Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano: $317,595
    Porsche 911 GT2: $192,560
    GT-R: $77,840

0-60 mph from said comparison:

ZR1: 3.3
    599: 3.2
    GT2: 3.4
    GT-R: 3.2

1/4:

ZR1: 11.2
    599: 11.3
    GT2: 11.4
    GT-R: 11.6

Lap Time:

ZR1: 56.9 seconds
    599: 58.0 seconds
    GT2: 57.5 seconds
    GT-R: 58.1 seconds

So in other words the GT-R didn't beat a stripped down race car in the GT2, or a $300k+ Ferrari (even though it was right there with it in damn near every test), or the ungodly ZR1 but with the GT-R being cheaper by more then $28k to the next cheapest car in the test and giving up 50 hp to the next lowest powered car it's numbers are damn impressive. But my big question from that test is the part you quoted Tony. They dog the GT-R for "understeering and having a lack of handling" but yet it was .1 seconds behind the Ferrari and in the figure 8 test they got a 25.0 seconds @ 0.79 g (avg) while the GT-R did it in 24.1 seconds @ 0.86 g (avg). The ZR1 averaged 0.87 while the GT2 averaged 0.90 so it was right there with the ZR1 when it comes to how well it handled in that test so who knows what they're talking about. We love the Ferrari and it's $300k+ price tag but the $77k GT-R handles for crap but yet it beat the Ferrari in many handling tests and was only .1 second behind the Ferrari in our fastest lap but were going to give second place to the Ferrari and last place to the GT-R.

Haven't you argued against Domestic manufacturers playing the "value card" in other threads before?

So let me see if I understand the "Blackout Logic": An XLR-V outperforms an SL550 AND is $25,000 less, but you consider it a joke because the interior isn't quite as well put together. A Nissan that "understeers like a pig" however, is totally amazing just because it's $29,000 less than a ZR-1 and "sort of" hangs in the same performance league? Pfffffffft.

The proximity of lap times can be attributed to several things, not least of which is that a Pro race driver can overcome weaknesses in the handling. The GT-R also went last, at which time the driver had become more comfortable with the course and conditions. Had he run the Ferrari or ZR1 again, I'm sure the lap times would have been even faster.

GT-R: Cool, but not as great as everyone makes it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tony Show View Post
    Haven't you argued against Domestic manufacturers playing the "value card" in other threads before?

So let me see if I understand the "Blackout Logic": An XLR-V outperforms an SL550 AND is $25,000 less, but you consider it a joke because the interior isn't quite as well put together. A Nissan that "understeers like a pig" however, is totally amazing just because it's $29,000 less than a ZR-1 and "sort of" hangs in the same performance league? Pfffffffft.

The proximity of lap times can be attributed to several things, not least of which is that a Pro race driver can overcome weaknesses in the handling. The GT-R also went last, at which time the driver had become more comfortable with the course and conditions. Had he run the Ferrari or ZR1 again, I'm sure the lap times would have been even faster.

GT-R: Cool, but not as great as everyone makes it out to be.
    But it doesn't make sense with the GT-R and 599. The 599 costs almost 4x as much as the GT-R but yet it's .1 faster then it around the road course, came in last place in the figure 8 test, has the same 0-60 time, is a couple of tenths of a second faster in the 1/4 but yet the GT-R's handling was the worst of the group so then if that's the case the 599 would beat the GT-R in the corners for the road course, well then the 599 should have the acceleration advantage on the straights seeing that it has 132 more hp then the GT-R? So it has all of the advantages but yet still only runs .1 second quicker and on top of which comes in 2nd place? The GT2 shouldn't have even been in the test seeing that it's a stripped out race car while the other 3 have full interiors. Something is fishy with the numbers and/or with the way they came to the conclusion that they did come up with. But you say the GT-R is cool but not as great as everyone makes it out to be but yet it's beating cars that are over 3x it's price. Like it or not the car is amazing

Not.

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

What's the latest word about the trans failures that plagued the first run of GTRs? I would be one P.O.'d dude if I dropped 70k on Nissan's "supercar killer" only to have the slushbox take a dump on me, and then be denied warranty coverage.
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
    What's the latest word about the trans failures that plagued the first run of GTRs? I would be one P.O.'d dude if I dropped 70k on Nissan's "supercar killer" only to have the slushbox take a dump on me, and then be denied warranty coverage.
    They are offering a reprogramming of the ECU. The reprogram lowers the RPM level for the VDC control. Everybody thought it was going to hurt the GT-R's performance but it actually got faster from it. Check this out http://www.gtrblog.com/index.php/200...-quarte?blog=4 bone stock with just the reprogramming and it ran an 11.3 @ 120. That is seriously fast

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

The Ferrari is an underperformer. Even on the 'Ring, its 20 seconds off the pace of the other 3 in this test. If I could afford it thats what Id buy, even if the other 3 are better performers. In fact, If I had the money for the 599, Id have it AND a ZR1.
    IF I could only afford the GT-R, Id have some kids instead, buy a van, and wait for death...
    Seriously, Id rather have a much slower M3 or CTS-V than a GT-R.
    Theres no way I could buy a car that sounds as boring as the GTR does...And apparently drives as boringly. A sports car should make you want to leave the bed of a beautiful women, late at night, and go for a drive. The GT-R makes me yawn.... And a car loses any sense of 'cool' when you have to keep explaining why it is...

f355c5 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

You have to drive it to believe . I own a GTR and a Cadillac STS. The GTR is my favorite car. Sold a Lingenfelter C6 to buy the GTR. No regrets. Amazing car-- I cannot believe how fast it is ,for such a large car.

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by f355c5 View Post
    You have to drive it to believe . I own a GTR and a Cadillac STS. The GTR is my favorite car. Sold a Lingenfelter C6 to buy the GTR. No regrets. Amazing car-- I cannot believe how fast it is ,for such a large car.
    Like Ive said in the past...theres no way I could ever own a sports car that sounds horrible and boring and uninspiring. The GTR has the most timid exhuast note of a high performance sports car IVe ever heard. To others this might be a small point, but its a deal breaker for me. Its a great performer, and the looks have grown on me tho.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Cool looking Cobalt.

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    Cool looking Cobalt.

Quote Originally Posted by gothicaleigh View Post

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. GM want's to be like the GT-R

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.