From A Caddy to A SHO!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, From A Caddy to A SHO! in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; It's been a while since I last visited this forum. I sold My 91 Deville and decided to go on ...
    92EldoTC is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Ex:'92 ETC 4.9 Current:'91 Sedan Deville 4.9

Wink From A Caddy to A SHO!

It's been a while since I last visited this forum. I sold My 91 Deville and decided to go on over to Ford's side and buy a Taurus SHO.
    I figured the only way to have a SHO is if it's a stick and a 5-speed it is.
    Its cherry red with a dual exhaust and 3 inch chrime tips. $15k in reciepts came with this car so I know it's been well maintained for a 92. It has only 135,xxx miles. That yamaha engine is really a screamer and i love the kick in the ass it gives when the secondaries open up at 4k rpms. It diesn't have the low end torque of the two 4.9's I previously owned but where the 4.9 runs out of breath this engine starts breathing.
    Compared to the Caddies, it is much more stiff suspension wise and doesn't float when going over uneven road.itjust goes over and sets right away.
    I like have the leather bukets with the adjustable bolsters for both the passenger and driver seats.
    Handling is really good for a 3,700 pound 4 door sedan with brand new 215/55/16 h rated tires.
    I like how the speedo says 140 mph. I like the car and I figured it was time for me to go over to a sportier sedan than I've previously owned while saving gas with the 24 valve v-6. This car really screams.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Re: From A Caddy to A SHO!

Cool! Oddly enough, when I was first test driving 91-93 deVilles back in '04, I test drove a 1994 SHO with the 3.2L and four speed auto, just to cure my curiosity and because the dealer had one on his lot. I (sadly) did not get to open it up at all, so I wasn't very impressed with it. But I did like the seats and I remember it having a lot of the features the deVilles did.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

Quote Originally Posted by 92EldoTC View Post
    It's been a while since I last visited this forum. I sold My 91 Deville and decided to go on over to Ford's side and buy a Taurus SHO.
    I figured the only way to have a SHO is if it's a stick and a 5-speed it is.
    Its cherry red with a dual exhaust and 3 inch chrime tips. $15k in reciepts came with this car so I know it's been well maintained for a 92. It has only 135,xxx miles. That yamaha engine is really a screamer and i love the kick in the ass it gives when the secondaries open up at 4k rpms. It diesn't have the low end torque of the two 4.9's I previously owned but where the 4.9 runs out of breath this engine starts breathing.
    Compared to the Caddies, it is much more stiff suspension wise and doesn't float when going over uneven road.itjust goes over and sets right away.
    I like have the leather bukets with the adjustable bolsters for both the passenger and driver seats.
    Handling is really good for a 3,700 pound 4 door sedan with brand new 215/55/16 h rated tires.
    I like how the speedo says 140 mph. I like the car and I figured it was time for me to go over to a sportier sedan than I've previously owned while saving gas with the 24 valve v-6. This car really screams.
    Congrats on the pick up! 1992 SHO's only came in stick shift. The red color is nice looking on the 2nd gen's. I see a guy around here with a red one every once in awhile. As for the speedo saying 140, it will do 140. I had my 1991 SHO+ up too 138 before I let off

ILuvCaddy's, I believe even with the automatic, If you could have gotten a chance to get on it and feel the secondaries open up you definately would have been impressed.
    I like the color red on this car, it more than makes up for the moonroof that it doesnt have.
    Im going to have to get it up to 140 one of these days but that might be a little challenging in a red car without being seen by the Highway patrol.

ILuvCaddy's, I believe even with the automatic, If you could have gotten a chance to get on it and feel the secondaries open up you definately would have been impressed.
    I like the color red on this car, it more than makes up for the moonroof that it doesnt have.
    Im going to have to get it up to 140 one of these days but that might be a little challenging in a red car without being seen by the Highway patrol.
    Just be careful with the car. Still to this day nobody wants to work on those engines and when you find someone that will they charge an arm and a leg

yeah, i see your point.
    The guy I bought the car from gave me $15k in reciepts from the life of the car so most of the major stuff has already been done including new brakes, clutch, timing chain, belts, 4 new tires, full tune up and the list goes on.
    The reciepts date back to 92 when the car was purchased. I think I got a good deal for $2k

yeah, i see your point.
    The guy I bought the car from gave me $15k in reciepts from the life of the car so most of the major stuff has already been done including new brakes, clutch, timing chain, belts, 4 new tires, full tune up and the list goes on.
    The reciepts date back to 92 when the car was purchased. I think I got a good deal for $2k
    Yeah you did. It's hard to find a SHO that was taken care of. People usually treat them like any other Taurus

Deuuuce is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Charger SRT-8

Nice car, I had a '91 with the glass hood and I painted the side mirrors body-color. It weighs well under 3,700lbs if memory serves.

That's a lot of miles - make sure the valve job was done (it uses solid tappets, not lifters) and if it ever smokes from under the hood, it's the notorious valve cover seals. Not too expensive.

Also, check the motor mounts and subframe connector bolts. Both failed on mine (clutch dumps + Ford quality = $$).

If you change the t-stat the bolts are made of pot-metal. Be careful.

Finally, there is an A/C line under the battery tray that can leak - expensive to find and fix.

Enjoy, it's a fun car.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuuuce View Post
    Nice car, I had a '91 with the glass hood and I painted the side mirrors body-color. It weighs well under 3,700lbs if memory serves.
    What color was yours? But that model your talking about is the
    "Plus" model. Came with the slicer wheels (same wheels that the 2nd gen SHO's had but colored the same color as the car on the Plus model) painted side mirrors, fiberglass hood, painted trunk emblems (same color as the car) and something about the A-pillar IIRC. But I had a white SHO+. Best looking of the SHO models IMO

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Ive always wanted an SHO... Theyll do every bit of that 140 and more. With mods they were boatloads of sleeper, even moreso then the supercharged 3.8L w-body's from GM...

Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    Ive always wanted an SHO... Theyll do every bit of that 140 and more. With mods they were boatloads of sleeper, even moreso then the supercharged 3.8L w-body's from GM...
    There's a guy who used too a guy who would lurk around on here every once in awhile. He had a turbo charged SHO and he had a video of him beating a CTS-V posted on up on here long time ago. Doing F/I applications to an SHO is

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
    What color was yours? But that model your talking about is the
    "Plus" model. Came with the slicer wheels (same wheels that the 2nd gen SHO's had but colored the same color as the car on the Plus model) painted side mirrors, fiberglass hood, painted trunk emblems (same color as the car) and something about the A-pillar IIRC. But I had a white SHO+. Best looking of the SHO models IMO
    Black and actually mine was a "partial plus". I had to have the mirror's painted and I had the cable shifter vs. the solid linkage.
    I liked the slicer wheels - oddly it had the identical wheels on both sides - the fins went in the opposite direction on the other side. Cost savings at the factory?

Quote Originally Posted by Deuuuce View Post
    Black and actually mine was a "partial plus". I had to have the mirror's painted and I had the cable shifter vs. the solid linkage.
    I liked the slicer wheels - oddly it had the identical wheels on both sides - the fins went in the opposite direction on the other side. Cost savings at the factory?
    That's funky. Never heard of anything like that before. Did you buy your SHO new or used? Because if it was used it sounds like someone was trying to build their own SHO+ but didn't do too good of a job. This is exactly what my SHO+ looked like

Brand new from Al Piemonte Ford in Arlington Heights, IL. Just didn't get the mirrors or rod linkage, that's all. Incomplete mid-production changes at a domestic plant in the early 90s are not unheard of.

why is it that in magazine articles and statistics on the internet about SHOs they always put the 92 0-60 and quarter times for the automatic version which is 0-60 in 7.6 and quarter at 15.7-15.9 (varies from magazine to magazine).
    From my understanding most of the 92's came with the 5-speed, it seems logical to put the 5- speed times up instead and from what i've been reading it is 0-60 @ 6.6 and the quarter @ 15.2 @ 91 mph.
    The only years they put the 5- speed times up for is the 89-91.
    Maybe it has something to do with the competition from its big brother the Mustang 5.0. They didnt want it to be known that a Taurus would outrun the pride of Ford motor company.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.