Cadillac Owners Forum banner
5K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  92EldoTC 
#1 ·
It's been a while since I last visited this forum. I sold My 91 Deville and decided to go on over to Ford's side and buy a Taurus SHO.
I figured the only way to have a SHO is if it's a stick and a 5-speed it is.
Its cherry red with a dual exhaust and 3 inch chrime tips. $15k in reciepts came with this car so I know it's been well maintained for a 92. It has only 135,xxx miles. That yamaha engine is really a screamer and i love the kick in the ass it gives when the secondaries open up at 4k rpms. It diesn't have the low end torque of the two 4.9's I previously owned but where the 4.9 runs out of breath this engine starts breathing.
Compared to the Caddies, it is much more stiff suspension wise and doesn't float when going over uneven road.itjust goes over and sets right away.
I like have the leather bukets with the adjustable bolsters for both the passenger and driver seats.
Handling is really good for a 3,700 pound 4 door sedan with brand new 215/55/16 h rated tires.
I like how the speedo says 140 mph. I like the car and I figured it was time for me to go over to a sportier sedan than I've previously owned while saving gas with the 24 valve v-6. This car really screams.

#2 ·
Cool! Oddly enough, when I was first test driving 91-93 deVilles back in '04, I test drove a 1994 SHO with the 3.2L and four speed auto, just to cure my curiosity and because the dealer had one on his lot. I (sadly) did not get to open it up at all, so I wasn't very impressed with it. But I did like the seats and I remember it having a lot of the features the deVilles did.

#4 ·
ILuvCaddy's, I believe even with the automatic, If you could have gotten a chance to get on it and feel the secondaries open up you definately would have been impressed.
I like the color red on this car, it more than makes up for the moonroof that it doesnt have.
Im going to have to get it up to 140 one of these days but that might be a little challenging in a red car without being seen by the Highway patrol.

#6 ·
yeah, i see your point.
The guy I bought the car from gave me $15k in reciepts from the life of the car so most of the major stuff has already been done including new brakes, clutch, timing chain, belts, 4 new tires, full tune up and the list goes on.
The reciepts date back to 92 when the car was purchased. I think I got a good deal for $2k

#8 ·
Nice car, I had a '91 with the glass hood and I painted the side mirrors body-color. It weighs well under 3,700lbs if memory serves.

That's a lot of miles - make sure the valve job was done (it uses solid tappets, not lifters) and if it ever smokes from under the hood, it's the notorious valve cover seals. Not too expensive.

Also, check the motor mounts and subframe connector bolts. Both failed on mine (clutch dumps + Ford quality = $$).

If you change the t-stat the bolts are made of pot-metal. Be careful.

Finally, there is an A/C line under the battery tray that can leak - expensive to find and fix.

Enjoy, it's a fun car.

#9 ·
Nice car, I had a '91 with the glass hood and I painted the side mirrors body-color. It weighs well under 3,700lbs if memory serves.
What color was yours? But that model your talking about is the
"Plus" model. Came with the slicer wheels (same wheels that the 2nd gen SHO's had but colored the same color as the car on the Plus model) painted side mirrors, fiberglass hood, painted trunk emblems (same color as the car) and something about the A-pillar IIRC. But I had a white SHO+. Best looking of the SHO models IMO

#15 ·
why is it that in magazine articles and statistics on the internet about SHOs they always put the 92 0-60 and quarter times for the automatic version which is 0-60 in 7.6 and quarter at 15.7-15.9 (varies from magazine to magazine).
From my understanding most of the 92's came with the 5-speed, it seems logical to put the 5- speed times up instead and from what i've been reading it is 0-60 @ 6.6 and the quarter @ 15.2 @ 91 mph.
The only years they put the 5- speed times up for is the 89-91.
Maybe it has something to do with the competition from its big brother the Mustang 5.0. They didnt want it to be known that a Taurus would outrun the pride of Ford motor company.

#16 ·
1992 SHO's only came in 5 speeds. Once they started offering the automatic option then you would get a 3.2 liter V6 instead of the 3.0 V6 for the 5 speed. The main reason behind giving the automatics bigger displacement engines is because they put out slightly more power to make up for the drive train loss. But there was a few years that the SHO was actually faster then the Mustang

#17 ·
I too used to have a 90 SHO. Red exterior with the black interior (very desirable) but I had the partial leather seats not the all leather ones. And yes, like may have siad they truly could do 140 MPH and then some. all 89-92's had manual shift, from 93-95 you could choose between manual and automatic, the latter making up about 80% of the total production of SHO's. Unfortunetly, as with the regular taurses, the automatic tranny on SHO's was crap. 96-99 had a 3.4L 32 valve V8 which ONLY came with automatic and even though rated at 235hp, they couldn't touch the original 3.0L/manual trans. SHO's. It was also notoriously known for the cam sprockets seperating from the camshafts, typically around 50k mile mark. It was remieded if caught early enough by having the sprockets "pinned"

#18 ·
I hit an indicated 145 in my '92 although who knows about speedo error when going that fast.

And the V in that vid was mine. Boosted Yamahas are no joke...

(Just remember the V in the vid was loaded down with people and a car full of luggage on a cross country trip. The SHO had 2 people and was empty. Granted, the SHO still would've won but not by as much...)

#19 ·
I went to the track for the first time in my SHO.
My timeslip shows how inexperienced I am at drag racing.
I didnt have the smarts to go around the pool of water that is sprayed down before each race which I probably lost a good half second spinning.
My shifts were all perfect, never missed a gear except I could have put each gear a little closer to redline than I did.
My reaction time was an elderly .7xx.
So say .5 sec spinning tires plus .7xx equals about 1.2 seconds lost but of course a .0xx r/t is impossible so say a .2 or .3 r/t is ideal. .7xx r/t-.2 or .3 equals .4 to .5.
Adjusted lost time is now about .9xx to 1.0 seconds
My best time was 16.38. take .9 or 1.0 seconds off of that and that gives me 15.48 to 15.38 e.t.
.2xx seconds off of what a new stock 92 SHO mtx should run.
.2xx seconds off of the tested time is probably due to higher mileage (133000) and more than 3/4 tank of gas in the tank.
Those lovely secondaries still open up @ 4k and produce a good thrust with a lovely sound. I actually feel the tires fighting to pull the car to the left when the secondaries open up under full throttle.
I've gotten considerably better at driving this manual transmission car since going to the track.
Wonder if I can beat a 93-97 sts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.