Lots of positive comments (I thought I would get a few flames) but there are some really good folks on this list!!!!
A couple of comments:
- The current G8 has a sort-of-nav with the On-Star. On-Star will download the directions to the G8 and then give you turn by turn instructions. It is featured here in the R & T Review - [I tried to post it but because I am such a newbie the forum won't allow it]
- I know a few folks got confused because the thread grew but I am specifically comparing the G8 GXP (not the G8 GT) and the CTS-V. The CTS-V is a better deal in my opinion.
- The rear end issues with the CTS-V DO concern me because every once and I awhile I will be spinning the rears...I am pretty sure the G8 rear will have a Corvette rear like the Holden in OZ (or something strong enough to not cause wheel hop).
- The styling is definitely a per-person preference! I like them both but whenever the GXP shows up in person then I can really compare.
- The thing I can really get comfortable about is that this is NOT a new car (it has been for sale in OZ for years!) and I think most of the bugs have been worked out. If we were comparing the CTS-v 09 and the GXP then it isn't much of a contest (0-60 in 4.5 secs...DAYUM!)
- The prices of low milage good condition Vs are not that cheap (around mid to high 30s for 07s). With this new GM employee pricing, I think the price for the GXP vs. the V will be a wash.
- The final point...I HAVE TO DRIVE THEM BOTH!! Has anyone driven the G8 GT and compared it to their V???
Again...great group of folks and even better discussion!
Not sure where you live. We test drove an 06 CTS-V a few weeks ago in Phoenix. They had a G-8 on the lot, brand new. Bright RED exterior. BIGGEST PROBLEM....Only ONE COLOR interior...BLACK...LEATHER....PHOENIX....Not gonna end pretty....
I have had Two Impala SS's, have a couple of Caprice's, and ended up buying a CTS-V. Slightly smaller than those cars, BUT....FAST AND FUN!!!
I like the guy who commented on improved GM build quality across the lines. He's on point. I've been in multiple G8 GTs and this is not your typical Pontiac. For some reason, the Aussie built cars appear to be twice as nice build quality wise as what we get here from Pontiac. The doors close with a soft thud. A stainless steel ball bearing rolls down the trunk lid seam straight! :-)
Heck, I owned a 2001 GTP and I can tell you the doors on that car sagged slighly when the car was on a lift. And that is a four door! Seams are wide, and build quality on that car is clearly subpar.
These Holdens are nice vehicles, and have been proven. Someone said it before but this is not a new car, and shouldn't be compared as such. If you go with a G8 GXP you will be getting a car that is well sorted, and has a massive aftermarket already. $10k Twin turbo kit already in development by APS will easily get you to 500-600 whp. No stock Cadillac, even new CTS-V will compete for the money. Stock for stock, new CTS-V is going to blow it away.
Believe me I am a huge Cadillac fan, and they are doing great things that I am very excited about. But, let's not get too carried away saying Caddy build quality is better than G8. I think you are probably wrong about that. A US built GM is a US built GM, Pontiac or Cadillac.
Let's talk about nav and entertainment systems. A) in car nav makes no sense for so many reasons. I will only list a few
1) cost for the option is typically 5-10x that of a portable unit
2) portable unit can be moved from auto to auto, or taken on business trips
3) portable units are much more "software upgradable" generally. And, if you are good on the net, you do not have to pay for map or software upgrades.
4) portable unit can be fully replaced every 3 years for a few hundred dollars to get the latest and greatest technology (ie. live traffic, text to speech). For example, try to explain to me how you are going to get traffic updates on the Nav in a 2003 Nissan Maxima SE? Well, you are not. BTW, That nav was a $3k option in my wifes car. $3k down the toilet IMHO
B) entertainment systems
1) Blaupunkt is a nice unit in the G8 with clear crisp highs and good bass reponse. Stereo sounds excellent. Stereo sounds better than any recent Bose unit I have heard. My brother in law works for Bose in Framingham, MA. I understand Bose sources their components from Taiwan and China. Not too much of a surprise. BUT, what is a surprise is that the components in Bose units are typically cheap PAPER cones with proprietary enclosure designs to make them sound better. Low tech technology, high tech marketing budget. Bose has you folks all fooled. It's some of the cheapest crap out there, with a GOOD name. The typical US consumer doesn't take time to research their technology purchases. That's sad.
Best factory entertainment system these days is the Lexus Mark Levinson systems.
Aftermarket stereo manufacturers are hurting because of the poor economy and the fact that a good number of factory systems sound "good enough" for the general public. Look for modular components in the future. For example, GM will include a connector in their cars which is universal. Kind of like USB for cars. Buy a car with a universal connector, and select "optional" aftermarket tuner of your choice when car is ordered. Everything is plug and play. Same for nav. All you will get is a display screen. You select the plug and play unit. Wouldn't that be the greatest!! It's going to happen folks. The standards bodies are already been developed. The car of the future will be completely modular and customizable. For a current example, consider how many manufacturers integrated iPod connectivity into their factory offerings in only a couple of manufacturing cycles.
You'd all be better served to listen to the Blaupunkt system and judge for yourself. It beats Bose stuff hands down. I could go on for hours on this, but my rambling is already outside of the scope of this thread.
its a tough call
I am leaning towards the LS3 as far as mods are concerned but I havent seen the GXP in person so cant say,
Pontiac tends to destroy a perfectly good car by putting their own front end . Look at the GTO and G8 . they ruined the looks of the cars.
So to the talentless people at pontiac, if you cant make anything better , leave it as is