G8 gxp or cts v 07 - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, G8 gxp or cts v 07 in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I'm not saying Bose is tha shit by any means.....but Blaupunkt??...
    lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Re: G8 gxp or cts v 07

I'm not saying Bose is tha shit by any means.....but Blaupunkt??

Civardi is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 V Raven

Quote Originally Posted by vegasVowner View Post

GXP...VXR8 same thing so here ya go...

YouTube - Top Gear: Vauxhall VXR8

They broke the rear diff when they were tossing it around the track.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

The link doesnt work...I wanna see that $hit

brotherv is offline Cadillac Owners Member

WOW....

Lots of positive comments (I thought I would get a few flames) but there are some really good folks on this list!!!!

A couple of comments:

- The current G8 has a sort-of-nav with the On-Star. On-Star will download the directions to the G8 and then give you turn by turn instructions. It is featured here in the R & T Review - [I tried to post it but because I am such a newbie the forum won't allow it]

- I know a few folks got confused because the thread grew but I am specifically comparing the G8 GXP (not the G8 GT) and the CTS-V. The CTS-V is a better deal in my opinion.

- The rear end issues with the CTS-V DO concern me because every once and I awhile I will be spinning the rears...I am pretty sure the G8 rear will have a Corvette rear like the Holden in OZ (or something strong enough to not cause wheel hop).

- The styling is definitely a per-person preference! I like them both but whenever the GXP shows up in person then I can really compare.

- The thing I can really get comfortable about is that this is NOT a new car (it has been for sale in OZ for years!) and I think most of the bugs have been worked out. If we were comparing the CTS-v 09 and the GXP then it isn't much of a contest (0-60 in 4.5 secs...DAYUM!)

- The prices of low milage good condition Vs are not that cheap (around mid to high 30s for 07s). With this new GM employee pricing, I think the price for the GXP vs. the V will be a wash.

- The final point...I HAVE TO DRIVE THEM BOTH!! Has anyone driven the G8 GT and compared it to their V???

Again...great group of folks and even better discussion!

Thanks!

helogene is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Not sure where you live. We test drove an 06 CTS-V a few weeks ago in Phoenix. They had a G-8 on the lot, brand new. Bright RED exterior. BIGGEST PROBLEM....Only ONE COLOR interior...BLACK...LEATHER....PHOENIX....Not gonna end pretty....

I have had Two Impala SS's, have a couple of Caprice's, and ended up buying a CTS-V. Slightly smaller than those cars, BUT....FAST AND FUN!!!

vegasVowner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Civardi View Post
    They broke the rear diff when they were tossing it around the track.

Gen 1 CTS-Vs are the fastest cars on earth.

Psssst.......link/proof/ SOMETHING or its just a random statement like the one I just said.

bguild is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Guys,

I like the guy who commented on improved GM build quality across the lines. He's on point. I've been in multiple G8 GTs and this is not your typical Pontiac. For some reason, the Aussie built cars appear to be twice as nice build quality wise as what we get here from Pontiac. The doors close with a soft thud. A stainless steel ball bearing rolls down the trunk lid seam straight! :-)

Heck, I owned a 2001 GTP and I can tell you the doors on that car sagged slighly when the car was on a lift. And that is a four door! Seams are wide, and build quality on that car is clearly subpar.

These Holdens are nice vehicles, and have been proven. Someone said it before but this is not a new car, and shouldn't be compared as such. If you go with a G8 GXP you will be getting a car that is well sorted, and has a massive aftermarket already. $10k Twin turbo kit already in development by APS will easily get you to 500-600 whp. No stock Cadillac, even new CTS-V will compete for the money. Stock for stock, new CTS-V is going to blow it away.

Believe me I am a huge Cadillac fan, and they are doing great things that I am very excited about. But, let's not get too carried away saying Caddy build quality is better than G8. I think you are probably wrong about that. A US built GM is a US built GM, Pontiac or Cadillac.

Let's talk about nav and entertainment systems. A) in car nav makes no sense for so many reasons. I will only list a few

1) cost for the option is typically 5-10x that of a portable unit
    2) portable unit can be moved from auto to auto, or taken on business trips
    3) portable units are much more "software upgradable" generally. And, if you are good on the net, you do not have to pay for map or software upgrades.
    4) portable unit can be fully replaced every 3 years for a few hundred dollars to get the latest and greatest technology (ie. live traffic, text to speech). For example, try to explain to me how you are going to get traffic updates on the Nav in a 2003 Nissan Maxima SE? Well, you are not. BTW, That nav was a $3k option in my wifes car. $3k down the toilet IMHO

B) entertainment systems

1) Blaupunkt is a nice unit in the G8 with clear crisp highs and good bass reponse. Stereo sounds excellent. Stereo sounds better than any recent Bose unit I have heard. My brother in law works for Bose in Framingham, MA. I understand Bose sources their components from Taiwan and China. Not too much of a surprise. BUT, what is a surprise is that the components in Bose units are typically cheap PAPER cones with proprietary enclosure designs to make them sound better. Low tech technology, high tech marketing budget. Bose has you folks all fooled. It's some of the cheapest crap out there, with a GOOD name. The typical US consumer doesn't take time to research their technology purchases. That's sad.

Best factory entertainment system these days is the Lexus Mark Levinson systems.

Aftermarket stereo manufacturers are hurting because of the poor economy and the fact that a good number of factory systems sound "good enough" for the general public. Look for modular components in the future. For example, GM will include a connector in their cars which is universal. Kind of like USB for cars. Buy a car with a universal connector, and select "optional" aftermarket tuner of your choice when car is ordered. Everything is plug and play. Same for nav. All you will get is a display screen. You select the plug and play unit. Wouldn't that be the greatest!! It's going to happen folks. The standards bodies are already been developed. The car of the future will be completely modular and customizable. For a current example, consider how many manufacturers integrated iPod connectivity into their factory offerings in only a couple of manufacturing cycles.

You'd all be better served to listen to the Blaupunkt system and judge for yourself. It beats Bose stuff hands down. I could go on for hours on this, but my rambling is already outside of the scope of this thread.

ba83 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): V

its a tough call
    I am leaning towards the LS3 as far as mods are concerned but I havent seen the GXP in person so cant say,
    Pontiac tends to destroy a perfectly good car by putting their own front end . Look at the GTO and G8 . they ruined the looks of the cars.

So to the talentless people at pontiac, if you cant make anything better , leave it as is

MONARO

GTO

VXR8

G8

Attached Images

SRCeaze8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I'd say the GXP!

Deuuuce is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Charger SRT-8

Old thread but now the test data is out for the GXP.

The 1st gen. CTS-V makes the GXP look irrelevant. The V has a nicer interior, weighs less, better brakes, better handling, more aggressively geared and bolt-ons away from the same rated hp.

Unless you must have the 6.2, the V is the way to go.

trukk is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon

Quote Originally Posted by Deuuuce View Post
    Old thread but now the test data is out for the GXP.

The 1st gen. CTS-V makes the GXP look irrelevant. The V has a nicer interior, weighs less, better brakes, better handling, more aggressively geared and bolt-ons away from the same rated hp.

Unless you must have the 6.2, the V is the way to go.

I'd say, unless you must have an Auto, go with the GXP. Both are nice though, I plan to take a look at the GXP as a possible replacement for my V as a daily driver.

-Chris
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Twin-Disk ClutchMustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq
    2012 CTS-V:No Roof|Wagon|M6|Recaros|Bone stock (for now)

What about the new V instead?

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by Deuuuce View Post
    What about the new V instead?
    First post...not in his budget.
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
    First post...not in his budget.
    Saving for 6 months plus 6 months of depreciation could do wonders.

Then again, if speed and refinement are priorities, a used E55/E63/M5 are excellent options.

As far as "American Built", the G8 only has 8% US/Canadian content, not much more than the Europeans.

inurok is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS-V Black/Black

GXP G8 all the way

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.