[2009] CTS vs. E90 vs. W204 vs. IS vs. A4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, [2009] CTS vs. E90 vs. W204 vs. IS vs. A4 in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; For those of you who are in the market, which one are you leaning towards or between? (random photos) 2009 ...
    1OFAKIND is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

[2009] CTS vs. E90 vs. W204 vs. IS vs. A4

For those of you who are in the market, which one are you leaning towards or between? (random photos)

2009 - BMW (Facelift) E90

2009 - Audi (New Body) A4/S4

2009 - Lexus (Facelift) ISxxx

2009 - Cadillac CTS

2009 - M benz C Class

These are the ones i had to choose between.

These were my top 5 options. I know this is a Cadillac site but im sure some of you are in or have been in the same dilemma. Maybe you have/had other cars in mind, what made you lean towards the CTS? likes or dislikes?
    Share your thoughts here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lordbaby is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS DI FE3 PDQ Crystal Red/Ebony

Re: [2009] CTS vs. E90 vs. W204 vs. IS vs. A4

without telling us your preference and your backgroud or anything you specifically like, I'd say you can easily eliminate mb and Lexus if you are talking about cclass and is350. bmw 3 series has nothing special and nothing new and so it is boring compare to the cts, especially the exterior. if you pick bmw 3 series, i rather do Lexus for it's price, maintain cost, endurance, millage and comfortableness (i checked the BMW 08's). The back up camera is kidda fun in the Lexus too. I also considered 5 series when 3 series is not my cup of tea, but 5 series is little bit over size and meaningless because i could have get a better car with that money. I personally like MB, but not the C/E class because i feel that it is "cheap", may be it's just me, but that's how i think. Besides, the newly redesign S class is coming out soon. Also, when you purchase MB, it is not necessary to purchase it new.

CTS easily stand out, especially in da year of 2008..it is a safer ride and i wish you had gotten da CTS earlier. oh, i forgot about the audi, well who cares. perhaps, you can consider jaguar xk/xf.. a little bit more expensive but around the price range.

hopefully you schedule a test drive on the CTS. You will like it. There are different setting for the CTS. ask for DI+FE3 setting. If you live in places that snow a lot do DI+FE2+AWD

lewisforjesus is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Well, I know you've already ordered a CTS. It definitely has more style than the others (a lot more to look at). I like looking at the others because it makes me realize how incredibly good looking the CTS is. The others are nice, but they aren't Cadillac CTS's. But, between the the ones you've posted, I'd have to choose the BMW (after the CTS). Like lordbaby said, I would look at the Jag. XF as competition with the CTS (in the area of looks and styling anyway), JMO.

Was gm_eng able to help ?

Lewis

The Drakester is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS 3.6DI

The Comparisons should be CTS v E350 v A6 v GS350 v 530i

IMO You have the CTS one class low.

I looked at all those and picked the CTS - Came out of a BMW 540iSA

ajm0623 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 S550 4Matic

lordbaby - the s-class was just redesigned and introduced in 2007. there is a scheduled face lift in 2010 and a brand new s class not until 2014.

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

Having test-driven the BMWs and MBs before deciding on the 2008 CTS, I have to second TheDrakster's comment -- you're comparing the CTS to cars that cost about the same but are in a different class.

The lease on my 2006 CLS500 was up in June. Even though I can write off most of the expense, my wife convinced me to get something less costly than what I had been driving in recent years, especially since I lease and drive only about 10,000 miles a year any more. So I decided to test drive several possible replacements, including the less expensive BMW, Mercedes, and because of the review I've attached, the CTS. Didn't look at Lexus -- I've never liked their old-lady styling, nor at Audi, which IMHO makes great cars with bland looks.

My impression of the BMW 3 Series was that it's very cramped. In fact, I just sat in it, said no way (I'm 62 years old, 6 feet, 210 pounds). Reminded me of my beloved 1971 2002, size-wise. The salesman agreed and said he also found it too small for comfort. We then moved to the 5 Series, which I liked a lot more. Drove well, handled great, but the styling left me a bit cold, and I H A T E D the iDrive (Car & Driver has accurately dubbed it "a curse").

I've had several Mercedes, including a 2004 E55 and a 2006 CLS500. I L O V E D both of them. But they were VERY expensive. Having heard good things about the new C Class, I went to look. Oy, vey! Now maybe I was spoiled by my beautiful CLS500, but the C was a real turn-off. How do you say C H I N T Z Y in German? The interior reminded me of one of the El Cheapo cars I rent from Hertz, and it was cramped. The exterior was not all that attractive -- they seemed to be trying to squeeze the MB look into a package that's just too small to accommodate it. No class at all. Acceleration was so-so, handling was just OK. I said, "No," and moved on to the E350. The 2008 E had the same NAV system as my 2006, which was only OK, and the interior was very "been there, done that" for me. Nice car, but I've had two Es, and this wasn't in the same class as my E55 when it comes to cool. I briefly considered an E63, a CLS550, and even a CLS63 -- but I couldn't justify $80K to $100K+ on a car (being able to afford something is not the same as feeling comfortable about a purchase).

It became clear that the 2008 CTS was the best bet in the price range I was considering. I agonized over that for a few days, not sleeping for two nights in a row, because I don't (or more accurately, didn't) drive American cars -- I had been an import guy since 1969, including VW, BMW, Toyota, Infiniti, Acura, and Mercedes. The one exception, a 1976 (?) Dodge Aspen wagon for my wife, was a giant POS with seemingly endless problems and recalls. So I went and drove the CTS again. It was like realizing I love someone I wanted to hate. It's perfect for me, almost identical in size to my CLS500 and in the same league looks-wise, it handles well, has good acceleration, the fit and finish are superb, the interior is great, the toys are fantastic (especially the NAV/Audio system), and it looks great, standing out from the rounded, lumpy looks of the other cars you've listed.

If you're like me and need a bit of convincing, consider that in recent years Cadillac has outscored nearly all the competition in initial quality and user satisfaction surveys (there are a couple of recent threads about that on this board), the 2008 CTS was the Car & Driver Car of the Year in 2008, and it has received rave reviews from the professional critics (see attached review by Dan Neil, the Pulitzer Prize wining auto critic for the L.A. Times).

I really think you'll be happy with the CTS. I certainly have no regrets, and I'm pretty hard to please.
    Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post
    I really think you'll be happy with the CTS. I certainly have no regrets, and I'm pretty hard to please.
    Most Excellent!

BamaCaddy08 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS, DI, FE3

To be honest, they are all fine vehicles but my take on them is as follows.

BMW- Fantastic car when you can pick your BMW out of the ocean of identical vehicles in the parking lot. Fast, fun and reliable. Pricey and you always get the feeling you payed allot for, well your not quite sure what made it cost so much?

Audi- All new! Great interior, MMI is great. Audi itself is the german version of Chrysler playing second fiddle to BMW and MB. This car and the Cadillac stand out more than the others.

Lexus- Fast and probably reliable. About as exciting as Neosporin, yup sure it doesnt burn when you put it on and you know its killing everything but in the end it still just feels and looks like an greasy spot on your leg.

MB- New, great looking and its a Benz. Seems a generation behind the competition. Good at everything master at nothing. MB quality has fallen into a black hole recently.

Cadillac- New, fun, very well priced and sized. Has one of the finest interiors of the group. ITS AMERICAN!!!! One of the greatest infotainment setups out there. Cadillac has been coming on strong lately and this car is the proof of that. Could use a tad more torque as it isnt the sprinting star. From a role however she'll run like a champ.

All in all, they are all great cars that you cant go wrong with.
    Now Im going to go back to what I do best and and a bit of

blue07cts is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): None, Now an AUDI A4

as far as the C-class i didn't even look there because my mom has had 3 mercedes benzes' and the newer they got the worse they got (the last one, an 03 E320 was BAD) as far as the rest, the lexus is kind of boring and not really in the same league as the CTS,3,A4/4 now being as i'm 21 and more after a car for style and performance i love the 3 series as far as looks and handling go, but it's too small for me to live with every day, but if the smaller size isn't a factor for you i'd say it's worth a look, now the new A4, from what i have seen i LOVE this car if i had 2 decide between it and the CTS i would have to toss a coin or something because i chose the CTS for it's handling and stand out in a crowd looks however the new A4 is a stunner as well and both have well made interiors so thats gonna come down to taste but it would deff would between those 2 for me. hope this helps!

LOL man i love reading everyones 2 cents.

I respect everyones decision and i know it comes down to what "you" want besides we all have different stories.

All of these cars have patential and could also use a few changes to meet personal interests/needs. I know i left some cars out i.e. g37 sedan/chrysler 300/acura TL, feel free to add them in if you would even consider.
    Agian im open to hear everyones thoughts.

Here's my story, Im coming from a rear wheel drive w203 c320 benz and i live where it snows like 9 months of the year. I wish so bad that i could have a winter car and a summer car but for now i cant. So its best to consider an all wheel drive, and im on a time frame (buy by end of Oct) due to not wanting to buy another set of snow/studded tires and driving another winter with rear wheel drive. Here's what i was looking for:

-Interior-

Leather, interface to be simple but clean. comfort access, roomy, bluetooth, ipod adapter, nav., memory seats, heated seats, panoramic view is a plus, good stereo system w/ hd radio, fold down seats, rear/side shade, electronic everything, and so forth.

-exterior-

HID, adapt. headlights, headlight washers, dist. park control, rear cam would be nice, auto winshild whipers, projector fogs, folding mirrors i could use. Everything else is pretty much body design.

-performance-

I wanted a car that does 0-60 under 6 seconds, a good suspension, handles well and all wheel drive so this already narrowed my options to 09 335XI/S4.

The C300/IS250 = Not bad cars at all, but performance wise in these models, lets face it, its too slow. I would consider both of these if they made a C350 4matic and IS350 AWD but not in America. Benz = better ext. / Lex = better int. C350 > ISxx

The 335XI is hands down best performance all around (is, was, and prob. always will be), I was dissapointed in this facelift on some parts of the exterior. Im sure with mods this can be fixed , However I want something a bit more roomier but overall i wasnt impressed with the exterior style. Im wanting a new "09" and even though i like the previous version i wont be going backwards.

The S4 on the other hand is more "my style" Im hearing great things about the handling with the 09's. I would consider this but with my luck it wont be available till sometime next year (Q1/Q2). My thoughts on this? I like most of what they did to this version, Interior is different but sleek vs. past models. Tails are kind of ugly but i have to see it in real life. So basicly i had to X this out. S4 > E90

In the end supprisingly i went with the 09 CTS 3.6 DI. I been doing a lot of research and everything down to a test drive impressed me. I think that a lot of people are bi'est towards Cadillac but when MotorTrend gave it car of the year (2008), it was for a reason. Before these improvements i never paid Cadillac no mind and therefore was never under my radar. There are a good amount of things that i wish this car had (this goes with any car in this class) but very few that i would change.

It drives smooth, plus with a few mods, it will meet my 0-60 in less then 6 seconds but i guess that goes with every car. Also im not a big fan of the OEM grille but i can change that too.

This thread isnt just about me its about all of us. Share your story past or present.

While I realize it isn't really chic to say this, one of my decision points was to buy American if I could. While the Cadillac brand may not be a Lexus or a Benz or an Audi or BMW - it is getting close. Keeping US dollars withing the US as much as possible is a good thing - at least to me. At the rate we are sending them overseas, we may not have any to buy anything with in the future. YMMV

DavidL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 92 Allanté, 2013 ATS4

I agree with all the previous comments; and I certainly agree about the 'cheapness' of the Mercedes C class interior--my next door neighbor has one.

Today I was doing my morning walk; a new '09 CTS4 was parked in the driveway, and the owner was getting out. As it was identical to my '08, I asked him what he thought of the car. He has had it 3 weeks; has been extremely pleased with it. interestingly, he said that he had been a BMW driver for nearly 10 years; he had just traded in his '06 3 series on the CTS; felt the CTS was a much more comfortable car and a much better interior than his BMW.

Maeztro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS '08

Quote Originally Posted by The Drakester View Post
    While I realize it isn't really chic to say this, one of my decision points was to buy American if I could. While the Cadillac brand may not be a Lexus or a Benz or an Audi or BMW - it is getting close. Keeping US dollars withing the US as much as possible is a good thing - at least to me. At the rate we are sending them overseas, we may not have any to buy anything with in the future. YMMV
    Drakester...Funny you say that about the cadillac brand. It wasn't long ago (or maybe it was) that Cadillac was considered the finest brand of anything. People would refer for instance to a Rolex as the Cadillac of watches. I think around the 80's this started to change. Not sure if Caddy can even get that recognition back, but the CTS we all love is a huge step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeztro View Post
    Drakester...Funny you say that about the cadillac brand. It wasn't long ago (or maybe it was) that Cadillac was considered the finest brand of anything. People would refer for instance to a Rolex as the Cadillac of watches. I think around the 80's this started to change. Not sure if Caddy can even get that recognition back, but the CTS we all love is a huge step in the right direction.
    True enough! The 80s were nearly the death knell for US automobiles. Cadillac is regaining it's luster and is doing so against marks that are significantly more expensive. For GM and Ford to continue, we have to help. It was a long slow decline and it will be a slow return to the top, but I believe that the US of A has the where-with-all to do it.

In what order is your choice of ride?
    (Feel free to add any car in this class)

I was looking only at AWD's. (Some people are not)

1. S4
    2. CTS4
    3. 335xi
    4. IS250 AWD
    5. C300 4MATIC

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.