CTS-V or Jaguar S TypeR
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, CTS-V or Jaguar S TypeR in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hi, after driving my Audi A4 1.8T. I have decided to move on to V8. with lots of search in ...
    lostkhan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

CTS-V or Jaguar S TypeR

Hi, after driving my Audi A4 1.8T. I have decided to move on to V8. with lots of search in my budget with 4 door, Sporty and cars with a class. I have narrowed down my search to CTS-V or Jaguar S TypeR.
    I want to know how reliable your CTS-V is. I couldnt do any search for the reliability of S TYpe because there arent any forums or if any they are not big enough to carry all that info. What is the Big Difference in Handling? I need 1 which handles good in Twisties and is Stable in High Speeds. Because i will be doing more mods towards the engine rather den suspension.
    Now i know you guys are Die Hard Cadillac Fans but i need some Honest Opinions on the pros and cons. Thanx

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

Re: CTS-V or Jaguar S TypeR

if i remember right car and driver or some big name mag did the comparision of these two and the cts v won. not by much i think. maybe you can look that up online. that might help you.

razl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac CTS-V Light Platinum

odla was right - here's the link to Motor Trend's comparison for 04:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...omparison.html

Among other interesting tidbits, one of their "negatives" about the V was: Exterior styling too "distinctive"

(for those that don't want to read, they narrowly picked the Jag)

Cheers!

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Are you looking for a used one? Depending on how the year, most of the little stuff (NAV buttons, battery, radiator, sail panels <-- I've had none of these, btw) will probably have been taken care of for you.

The motor is, for all practical purposes, positively bullet proof as is the trans ... no timing belt to break and destroy the valves (ala Audi 1.8), bottom end has had zero problems that I'm aware of (no rod problems ala BMW), and synchros in trans don't wear prematurely (again ala BMW). Oh, and the motor will also handle a nice array of mods, too.

Differential is weak point. If it doesn't whine, don't abuse it, and it should last a long time.

Can't help you with the Jag.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

BacDoc is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I've driven both. The TypeR was automatic (not sure if it even comes in manual) and is more ...refined I guess. Smooth ride, smooth power, and seemed heavier. My current V is no comparison if you're looking for a the best combination of ride, handling, and power. Between these 2 the Ford factor of that Jag is enough to even out the reliability field. My MIL's X-type....biggest POS I've ever been in, true story.

For me I was between the M3/M5 (I needed 4 doors) and the V. Everything else was a distant third.

ROG
    ROG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Infrared CTS-V

I too have driven both.

If you want luxury and status get the Jag.

If you want the "fun to drive factor" get the V!!

I chose the V because there are a lot of mods out there for it and the "fun to drive factor". There are very few mods for the Jag and what are available are super $$$$!!!!

DRKSIDE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Black

I too looked at the S-TypeR. Sweet looking ride and has had good reviews. Resale is crap on the Jag which if you are buying used puts that car at a slight advantage. Anyone east of the Azores will say go with the Jag. But when you get down to it I think the CTS-V has an American style that puts the argument to rest. A matter of taste perhaps.

One point you might want to consider:

Quote Originally Posted by lostkhan
    "I couldnt do any search for the reliability of S TYpe because there arent any forums or if any they are not big enough to carry all that info.
    I would have to ask "WHY" there isn't a good forum for these cars as there seems to be for every other specific model out there. Seems that the Cadillac enspires enthusiam and the Jag is just a car.

my $.02

ROG
    ROG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Infrared CTS-V

I just googled "jaguar s type forums" and got a bunch of them.

DRKSIDE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Black

That MT article is a good read. It has some good quotes in it too:

The CTS-V's styling speaks to Bad Boys with Money, and the clubby atmosphere and feel of the S-Type R is for stylish, sporting types who look like they've just stepped out of a Ralph Lauren Polo ad in Vanity Fair.
    All this road aggression, the good and the bad, emerges from the CTS-V in an overt manner. It screams, "Yeah, I'm bad!"
    Which is the better piece? Both do their jobs so well; your personal choice will depend on which attitude, marque, and perhaps transmission suits you best. If you like BMW's M cars, the Cadillac CTS-V is more likely your taste. If you prefer Mercedes AMGs of any and all stripes, and you're happy letting the car shift its own gears, buy the Jaguar S-Type R.
    Our choice, in spite of the CTS-V's not-insignificant price advantage, is the Jag... Yet if your needs shout "sedan" while your psyche shouts "Corvette," you won't be unhappy with the hot-rod-hearted CTS-V. This pair represents two cool, different-yet-similar ways to carry five--and haul buns.
    The "not-insignificant price advantage" is about $12,000. But as the article states, it comes down to one question. Do I want to pay a premium for the European "Ralph Lauren" style and give up a slight hp and straight line performance advantage or do I want what I want and could give a frack about what other people think?

Obviously, this MT writer isn't trading in his ascot any time soon.

Ive looked at the motor trend comparison. i myself like the styling of CTS-V better and so does the power. But i live in NY and im thinking about the MT. IF that will bother me in heavy traffic or no.

Quote Originally Posted by lostkhan View Post
    Ive looked at the motor trend comparison. i myself like the styling of CTS-V better and so does the power. But i live in NY and im thinking about the MT. IF that will bother me in heavy traffic or no.
    Get an automatic S4 sissy boy!!!

To be honest I looked at the 300 SRT8 as well and I think those come in auto. Great looks, power, but a bit higher in price.

Civardi is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 V Raven

Drive them both.

korizzle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by ROG View Post
    I too have driven both.

If you want luxury and status get the Jag.

If you want the "fun to drive factor" get the V!!

I chose the V because there are a lot of mods out there for it and the "fun to drive factor". There are very few mods for the Jag and what are available are super $$$$!!!!
    i definitely have to disagree with on the jag outshining cadillac in status and luxury. as far as i and those around me are concerned, cadillac far exceeds the levels of luxury and status of a jag....especially status. they are sort of like the 'not quite good enough' kind of car that makes you wonder why they are even made. when it comes to luxury cars benz, bmw, lexus, cadillac, porsche, hell even lincoln seem to always be the selected option - think about it, do you ever even see jags on the road? very rarely.

imho, those who own jags are either fans that are in love with them for a personal reason, or they just didn't have enough sense to see all of the options that their budget allowed.

but of course, it all comes down to how you feel when you're behind the wheel...drive them both and judge for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    Get an automatic S4 sissy boy!!!

To be honest I looked at the 300 SRT8 as well and I think those come in auto. Great looks, power, but a bit higher in price.
    Dont compare that 300SRT8 to CTS-V. CTS-V got some Handling and power and that 300SRT8 only got the power. try take a corner on a 300 like a CTS-V and you slide out.

Quote Originally Posted by lostkhan View Post
    Dont compare that 300SRT8 to CTS-V. CTS-V got some Handling and power and that 300SRT8 only got the power. try take a corner on a 300 like a CTS-V and you slide out.
    Was that English?

I considered them in the range of cars I was looking at, along with the M3 and M5.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.