Cadillac Owners Forum banner
4K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  RealmCenter 
#1 ·
Hi, after driving my Audi A4 1.8T. I have decided to move on to V8. with lots of search in my budget with 4 door, Sporty and cars with a class. I have narrowed down my search to CTS-V or Jaguar S TypeR.
I want to know how reliable your CTS-V is. I couldnt do any search for the reliability of S TYpe because there arent any forums or if any they are not big enough to carry all that info. What is the Big Difference in Handling? I need 1 which handles good in Twisties and is Stable in High Speeds. Because i will be doing more mods towards the engine rather den suspension.
Now i know you guys are Die Hard Cadillac Fans but i need some Honest Opinions on the pros and cons. Thanx

#4 ·
Are you looking for a used one? Depending on how the year, most of the little stuff (NAV buttons, battery, radiator, sail panels <-- I've had none of these, btw) will probably have been taken care of for you.

The motor is, for all practical purposes, positively bullet proof as is the trans ... no timing belt to break and destroy the valves (ala Audi 1.8), bottom end has had zero problems that I'm aware of (no rod problems ala BMW), and synchros in trans don't wear prematurely (again ala BMW). Oh, and the motor will also handle a nice array of mods, too.

Differential is weak point. If it doesn't whine, don't abuse it, and it should last a long time.

Can't help you with the Jag.

#5 ·
I've driven both. The TypeR was automatic (not sure if it even comes in manual) and is more ...refined I guess. Smooth ride, smooth power, and seemed heavier. My current V is no comparison if you're looking for a the best combination of ride, handling, and power. Between these 2 the Ford factor of that Jag is enough to even out the reliability field. My MIL's X-type....biggest POS I've ever been in, true story.

For me I was between the M3/M5 (I needed 4 doors) and the V. Everything else was a distant third.

#6 ·
I too have driven both.

If you want luxury and status get the Jag.

If you want the "fun to drive factor" get the V!!

I chose the V because there are a lot of mods out there for it and the "fun to drive factor". There are very few mods for the Jag and what are available are super $$$$!!!!

#13 ·
I too have driven both.

If you want luxury and status get the Jag.

If you want the "fun to drive factor" get the V!!

I chose the V because there are a lot of mods out there for it and the "fun to drive factor". There are very few mods for the Jag and what are available are super $$$$!!!!
i definitely have to disagree with on the jag outshining cadillac in status and luxury. as far as i and those around me are concerned, cadillac far exceeds the levels of luxury and status of a jag....especially status. they are sort of like the 'not quite good enough' kind of car that makes you wonder why they are even made. when it comes to luxury cars benz, bmw, lexus, cadillac, porsche, hell even lincoln seem to always be the selected option - think about it, do you ever even see jags on the road? very rarely.

imho, those who own jags are either fans that are in love with them for a personal reason, or they just didn't have enough sense to see all of the options that their budget allowed.

but of course, it all comes down to how you feel when you're behind the wheel...drive them both and judge for yourself.

#7 ·
I too looked at the S-TypeR. Sweet looking ride and has had good reviews. Resale is crap on the Jag which if you are buying used puts that car at a slight advantage. Anyone east of the Azores will say go with the Jag. But when you get down to it I think the CTS-V has an American style that puts the argument to rest. A matter of taste perhaps.

One point you might want to consider:

lostkhan said:
"I couldnt do any search for the reliability of S TYpe because there arent any forums or if any they are not big enough to carry all that info.
I would have to ask "WHY" there isn't a good forum for these cars as there seems to be for every other specific model out there. Seems that the Cadillac enspires enthusiam and the Jag is just a car.

my $.02

#9 ·
That MT article is a good read. It has some good quotes in it too:

The CTS-V's styling speaks to Bad Boys with Money, and the clubby atmosphere and feel of the S-Type R is for stylish, sporting types who look like they've just stepped out of a Ralph Lauren Polo ad in Vanity Fair.
All this road aggression, the good and the bad, emerges from the CTS-V in an overt manner. It screams, "Yeah, I'm bad!"
Which is the better piece? Both do their jobs so well; your personal choice will depend on which attitude, marque, and perhaps transmission suits you best. If you like BMW's M cars, the Cadillac CTS-V is more likely your taste. If you prefer Mercedes AMGs of any and all stripes, and you're happy letting the car shift its own gears, buy the Jaguar S-Type R.
Our choice, in spite of the CTS-V's not-insignificant price advantage, is the Jag... Yet if your needs shout "sedan" while your psyche shouts "Corvette," you won't be unhappy with the hot-rod-hearted CTS-V. This pair represents two cool, different-yet-similar ways to carry five--and haul buns.
The "not-insignificant price advantage" is about $12,000. But as the article states, it comes down to one question. Do I want to pay a premium for the European "Ralph Lauren" style and give up a slight hp and straight line performance advantage or do I want what I want and could give a frack about what other people think?

Obviously, this MT writer isn't trading in his ascot any time soon.

#12 ·
Drive them both.

#16 ·
Jaguars are fantastic cars. The 4.2L AJV8 is a marvel of engineering, a masterpiece. Its reliable and powerful. Jaguars of the late BL era are something that one would only buy because they are in love with the car. one would certainly not by one for economy or as a daily driver. I use to refurbish XJS's etc and can tell you that a Jag is a status symbol very different from a BMW or MB etc, Jags are for people who see a car not unlike they see a person In the words of Jaguars founder Sir Henry Lyons "The car is the closest thing we will ever create, to something that is alive". A Jag is for a person who is not concerned with money or anything else other than pure driving pleasure, that moment midturn where you feel like you are a part of the car not unlike the engine. When running properly and well maintained Jags offer a driving experience unlike anything that the Germans or Japanese can. While I am a big fan of Cadillac I would have to say that any vehicle with a S/C 4.2 is going to amaze you with its broad power band and word class smoothness. Just make sure you take extra good care of it. I love Jaguars!!

#17 ·
My short list was XJ-R, S type R and CTS-V.

The S type R was very nice, fast, pretty and handled exceptionally well. I thought the drivers postion was to cramped. I spoke with a local Jag tech, he said the top end springs oil leaks that drowns coils and a few other issues that he felt were a long term problem and to expect to shell out big for repairs once the warranty expires.

The XJ-R was very, very nice, fast, pretty but the description of a carnival ride comes to mind for handling "fast, loose and all over the place". What a pig. Since then I've driven the current XJ-R, WOW! Awesome car!

The V is a bit of a brute compared, unrefined, edgy, outstanding handling and it has a Corvette motor so I bought one.

I buy my cars slighty used, so the current XJ-R was $12,000 more than what I paid for my V so it really wasn't in the running at the time.

No regrets.

#18 ·
As a Jaguar technician and a DTS owner both, I feel compelled to chime in on this. Although I have never driven the CTS-V I am pretty sure that it does eek pask the S-Type R in straight line drag racing performance and would definitly have the "fun factor" of a manual transmission. However, the S-Type R is pure sexy, expecially finished in Jaguar racing green. As far as a head turner goes there is no doubt if you are into that, the S-Type R is the way to go and will get you more attention. The S-Type has now been replaced by the XF (to some people's dismay), which now makes the purchase price more approachable though. The material quality and fit and finish are absolutely top teir. The interior is as gorgeous as the exterior. As far as the cam cover gaskets leaking oil into the spark plug tubes as a prior post stated, that was the older AJ engine problem and we have not seen any do that on the 4.2 yet. There are so many trick things on the S-Type mechanically I could go on for pages, but the water to air twin intercooler setup is a thing of beauty just for starters, and the suspension is top notch as well. I love Cadillac and I love Jaguar, there is no denying they are both beautiful and respectable cars but as far as this comparison goes I have to give the S-Type R the 1st place award here.
Just my opinion though, and you know what that say about those :D
Darren

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.