2003 Lincoln Navigator/2002 Escalade?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, 2003 Lincoln Navigator/2002 Escalade? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Well once again im looking for a new vehicle to replace the BMW as now that I have moved to ...
    Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

2003 Lincoln Navigator/2002 Escalade?

Well once again im looking for a new vehicle to replace the BMW as now that I have moved to texas it is a little bit too small.

Ive checked out tons of vehicles ranging from 2000 and 2001 Mercedes S430 and Lexus LX470's to BMW 740iL's and Range Rovers but only four vehicles really made the cut, a 2000 S430 Mercedes that is light on features but strong on power, comfort and very stylish, not to mention cheep for that model with less than 50k at 33 grand. Next sedan is the 2001 Lexus LS430 Ultra which features such niceties as laser adaptive cruise control, a cooler in the rear seat armrest and a Mark Levinson audio system. For now, the Lexus is out of the question however because the only ones under 34000.00 which is where I need to stay, have over 55k miles and the finance company wont take them. Im not really interested in the lesser models.

Finally that leaves us with the two SUV options, the 2002 Escalade AWD, or the 2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate 2WD (4wd is not really a desirable feature to me on these trucks as they both come with Trac systems standard and there is no real offroading opportunities or needs on such a huge vehicle). Despite the fact that these two beasts have terrible resale value compared to the foreign machines above, they DO combine the best of all the features im looking for. In the lead (but also the worst for resale) is the 2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate (the Luxury and Premium lack the features I desire) I found with less than 11k miles for 32 grand (this is great because it means theres still 3.5 years and 39000 miles of warranty left). What really sets the Lincoln apart is the standard feature roster, its got some truly cool stuff like Power running boards, Power fold rear seats, Climate controlled seats, HID lighting, and this one has a Dual screen rear overhead DVD entertainment system. Unfortunately the Navigator carries over its somewhat anemic 300HP 5.4L Triton motor which only gets 0-60 times of 10 seconds (damn Fords, I only recently started liking em).

The Escalade is nice, but I can only afford a 2002 in the newer body (typically with well over 30 thousand miles), and its pretty much left in the dust on the features list and lacks the newer years HID lights, climate controlled seats and all the power features of the Navigator. The only real advantage to the (AWD only) Escalade is the 6.0L engine (i.e. gas hog), and the aggressive look and of course that its a Cadillac. I think it says ALOT for Lincoln that with this model changeover, they single handedly slapped the number 1 spot right out of Cadillacs hands in my top 5 list of SUVs. The previous Navigator was so bad it is completely forgettable, the new one is almost a masterpiece in comparison, it is no wonder really since the thing was co-engineered by Jaguar engineers.

Here is a pic of the Mercedes and the Lincoln:

What do you guys think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Msilva954 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

Re: 2003 Lincoln Navigator/2002 Escalade?

If you need it now , GO GET THE NAVI. You wont be let down...hands down the lincoln has a better interior then all but the Lexus and if you wait another year the Navi will be getting a 6 sp transmission, and the new 3 valve 5.4.....that equates to about 1.5-2 secs quicker to 60.

The mercedes is getting there in age, and they arent known for reliability.

Randy_W is offline Banned

I don't know why, but BMW guys tend to drive Fords. It sounds like you've made up your mind so why ask Cadillac people to validate your decision to buy a Ford?

Caddy Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG

the s class they are changing up in a year (2006) so i wouldnt go for it unless you want an older generation (i tend to enjoy a model change for at least a few years such as my 2000 DTS) I have NEVER like the lexus's bland and boring styyling. escalades are nice, but completly played out, everyone and tehre mom has an escalade, i would go for the navi.

CMON you know you want that NAVI......to bad they dont have the PowerStroke diesel.

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

If your looking for a luxury SUV with some balls to it then get a Aviator. It has the Mach 1's engine in it so there's plenty of aftermarket for it if you desir to play around with it. And I got our's to do a 15.7 stock *might have been able to go faster but since it wasn't mine I didn't want to power brake it too much* But the Lincoln's have a lot more options then the Escalade's do and I think the Lincolns look better then the Escalade's. But it seems like you already have your mind made up.....so just go and get the Navigator!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout
    If your looking for a luxury SUV with some balls to it then get a Aviator. It has the Mach 1's engine in it so there's plenty of aftermarket for it if you desir to play around with it. And I got our's to do a 15.7 stock *might have been able to go faster but since it wasn't mine I didn't want to power brake it too much* But the Lincoln's have a lot more options then the Escalade's do and I think the Lincolns look better then the Escalade's. But it seems like you already have your mind made up.....so just go and get the Navigator!
    Why not an SRX? 0-60 in 6.2 V8 2wd or 6.5 awd!!

I love how people start recommending vehicles that are just absolutely absurdly out of the price range the original post states Yes an SRX would be nice but at a near to over 50,000.00 price tag for a new one when once again the Navigator, Aviator and 02' Escalade fall comfortably into the 30-35k range its absolutely no match.

The Aviator idea is somewhat appealing actually because of the engine, but id have to check it out size-wise.

RBraczyk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

How about a ferrari!

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

I'm interested in what you finally decide. I have a thing about Fords, they kinda scare me even though I've owned three with relatively few problems.

I don't understand the depreciation thing. The Escalades I've looked at all seemed to be holding their values very well compared to the DeVilles and Sevilles. The Navigators seem to be in the toilet fairly quickly. (But damn, those pictures DO look nice.)

I've driven the new Mercedes S-class and have been VERY impressed. Dunno about reliability yet, but I know my father's last one (previous generation) held up pretty well until 124,000 miles. It was always a pleasure to drive.

I'd go with the Escalade, and right now it looks like I will when my time comes. I had settled on the DeVille but my needs have really changed. I swore against ever considering an SUV, but having to borrow my father's Envoy every other week is geting old. Plus it's very nice, I've grown accustomed to it, and I'm beginning to like it.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I really wish you weren't so hung up on depreciation Ian. If you like a vehicle, and you plan on keeping it for a longer while, just buy it. I'm sure that 90% of Cadillac owners here don't even consider depreciation, they just buy them because they are the best! Personally I agree with Elvis and Blackout. I really like the size of the Aviator, it just makes sense! I also love the interior of the Navagator/Aviator with it's retro satin nickel dash and accents, etc, but despite this, if I win the lotto, I'd buy the Escalade for sheer size and power. I think it's easily the most well known and respected luxury SUV on the planet.

Well, it really might end up being the Navigator so the depreciation issue will just have to settle to the background. The issue with Depreciation is that a vehicle that maintains a strong resale is easier to trade out of or sell in the event that a financial crisis of some sort occurs, I really think THAT far ahead which is why ive been able to keep my finances in order for as long as ive been doing them, in other words ive always got a plan B in case theres a problem that is out of my control.

In any case the Navigator is a technology showcase even without Navigation or DVD Entertainment (which can be added later). My favorite features are actually the power running boards, liftgate and third row seat.

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

Quote Originally Posted by Randy_W
    Why not an SRX? 0-60 in 6.2 V8 2wd or 6.5 awd!!
    Because 1. He's not looking at a SRX and 2. Its butt friggin ugly

The Aviator is nice too, and could be had for a little less then the navi, you may also get better gas mpg with it. I wouldnt worry to much about depreciation as all the cars you mentioned have lost the majority of theirs already, at least your not buying new.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout
    Because 1. He's not looking at a SRX and 2. Its butt friggin ugly
    I knew they couldn't give away those pretend Navigators,AKA over priced Explorers in drag known as Aviators, but I didn't know you could buy a used one that cheap! No more than they've sold of them, I'd wonder why nobody wants them! Roll up beside a V/8 SRX sometime with that Explorer, uh, I mean Aviator sometime and tell us what that "butt friggin ugly" rear end looks like from a distance. If it's so ugly, why are they selling and the Aviator is schedualed to be discontiued because they aren't?

On top of all this, the Aviator wasn't mentioned in the original post either!

All you guys that love Fords should spend your time on Ford forums, true Cadillac lovers know the truth, that's why we don't drive Fords!

PS; Can you define 'friggin', how about beauty, oh yea, probably not, you like Fords!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.