Cadillac Owners Forum banner
4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Kurlee Daddee 
#1 ·
The V has been gone for a little bit now and I just picked up an 05 Mercedes C55 AMG. It was absolutely flawless and with just under 15k miles it was like new in every way.

I wanted to make this thread because I don't see anyone really comparing the two although they are in a similar class being powerful 4-doors. Now that I've owned both I would like to post my observations. I am in no way claiming one car to be better than the other and the last thing I want is a flame war and bashing on one another.

Speed- I thing the V is faster up top but the C55 feels quicker down low. I think this stupid "speed shift" transmission is to blame. I truly miss the tremec.. I think the power is VERY similar and it would likely be a drivers race in a straight line.

Handling- I am by no means a race car driver nor would I consider myself a good track driver so take this with a grain of salt. Both the V and the C55 are easy to control and manipulate with the throttle. I remember the V feeling a bit heavier into turns but the C55 is no light weight either. The steering is very heavy on the C55 compared to the V. The brakes on both cars are amazing and I cannot tell which stops better. All in all I think the C55 feels more planted but again I'm not a pro racer so my opinion here holds little weight.

Ride- I was fully expecting the Mercedes to blow the V away in ride comfort but I couldn't be more wrong. I considered the V to be one of if not the most comfortable "cruising" cars I've ever owned. The C55 on the other hand makes you feel every little crack in the road.

Soundtrack- Both the LS6 and the 5.4 AMG motors sounds amazing under WOT. This is a complete draw through my ears.

Other- The seats in the C55 feel much sportier while still retaining comfort. The stereo in the V blows the C55 away and is like comparing the stock speakers on your tv to a full blown dolby system. Overall fit and finish of the interior is a no contest win to the C55. I haven't owned the C55 for long but I do not think it will take much to beat the V's reliability. I'm predicting tires/brakes will last about equal times.

All in all I'm pretty torn on which I like more. I think the C55 is a better made car as far as the fit and finish (I know I'm going to get flamed for that) but the V was just more fun to drive. I find myself forgetting the C55 has balls because I drive it more casually. I was WOT on the V at almost every stop light. It was just more fun to slam into second than to hit a button on the steering wheel.

See less See more
#2 ·
If there is one thing I would change on the V, it is the seating. I just cannot get comfortable like I think I should be able to (while shifting). The stick could bear to be back just an inch or two also, which would not only be more comfortable, but would allow use of the power outlet in the ashtray too.

#6 ·
Amen to that! I have to remove my wallet before I get into the car or else my hip hurts.

Cadillac did do better in the 08 CTS though. I'm driving one now and I don't even think about removing my wallet. The seats are soooo comfortable head to thigh.

#3 ·
:postpics:

lets check the new ride out!!

#5 ·
I'll post pics up tomorrow as the sun is already setting.

The costs of both cars are closer than you think. The MSRP of the C55 was $54,620 according to Forbes. The thing to consider is MB OVERPRICED options that the V comes standard with. The new price on the one I purchased was about 10k higher than that. Used, the c55's are going to run a lot higher than V's due to the AMG's holding their value a little more.

#7 ·
Looking forward to the pics. I've always liked the AMGs, from the wayback times (anyone remember the Hammer?), but the C is quite a bit smaller than the V, isn't it? I read somewhere (can't remember where, and I didn't bother to confirm it) that the C class actually has less interior room than a new Civic. Seriously not trying to bag on the C55; if I had the opportunity to grab one at a good price, I'd be all over it. I have a tall 3 year old who likes to try and put her feet on the shoulders of the front seats, so these are the things that go through my mind

#8 ·
I expected fit and finish to be better in the AMG.

My biggest gripe with the CTS-V is that is has more rattles and squeaks than a cheap ford. I have two squeaks that appear during regular highway cruising that drive me crazy! I am almost tempted to just get an exhaust or sound system I can be happy with making more noise. Ineed to find the rattles and squeaks or drown them out.

#10 ·
Honestly the inside is pretty spacious. It is smaller inside than the V but I don't have a big family to haul around. The only real noise I had on the V was the dang creaking rear end and it drove me nuts. Also my passenger door panel would pop outward and the dealer could never get that fixed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.