Domestic Lexus? GM to remake Buick in Toyota’s lux marque’s image - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Domestic Lexus? GM to remake Buick in Toyota’s lux marque’s image in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I would have prefered Oldsmobile to go head to head with Lexus as well. But, Buick does make great automobiles.. ...
    BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: Domestic Lexus? GM to remake Buick in Toyota’s lux marque’s image

I would have prefered Oldsmobile to go head to head with Lexus as well. But, Buick does make great automobiles.. It'll take much longer than it would have taken Oldsmobile - but it'll happen. They're going to have some really nice looking cars within the next few years.. I still can't believe they went from Grand National - to nothing...
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

scourge Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
    I still can't believe they went from Grand National - to nothing...

Agreed. When the GN died, Buick died for me. Now, all they want to be is a pseudo-luxury pretender geared only toward old people who cannot afford anything better yet failed to realize that a Buick loses over half its value in less than 3 years. This is the reality that Buick has to change. Olds would have had a better shot because they had already changed their image and were going more toward a youthful market.

03EscaladeAWD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Pfff, Buick calls themselves "premium" automobiles. The wood in the interior is plastic, doesn't sound very premium to me. Heres what they need:

1. More wood in that plastic interior, and no more plastic. Only premium matterials.
    2.Advertisement-Most people dont know who Harley Earl is, (but we all know he is great) and their commercials dont say much about what the car is. Just that its made by some dead guy.
    3.A better logo. People look at the L and think Lexus. People look at the tri-shield, and they dont know what it is. Maybe use the logo from the 50s.
    4.A RWD 4 door V8 sedan. Every American manufacturer should have one, especially a premium one.
    5.Scrap the supercharged V6. Its un-american. Their moto is "The Spirit of American Style" Supercharging a V6 isn't very American. Go V8 instead, even if it means stretching the front a bit. I'm sure consumers woudn't mind.
    6.Go RWD with AWD as an option. Some people hate FWD, some people hate RWD. Make them all happy and leave AWD as an option, and since more people hate FWD, make RWD standard.
    7.Stop Saturn production. They ruin the American theme for GM. Put their cars in Chevy with a little restyling, if you need some of Saturn's moneymaking cars.

I'm sure theres more I haven't thought of. I'll edit it in if I think of more.

Brett is offline Watching the Watchers

The Harley Earl thing is ridiculous. It's like ummmm, isnt that the crooked police chief from The Shield. "I'm Harley Earl, and i've come back from the dead, and puked when I saw the current Buick line-up"

banstyle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Since I'm a young'in, I've always seen Buick as this confused luxury car line. GM never really did anything 'cool' with it.

After watching what happened with Oldsmobile.. I think to myself, damn... what is this company doing? I guess they have their 'performance' company [Pontiac].. they have their trucks [GMC], they have high end luxury [Cadillac], they have value [Saturn], they have a generic catch-all [Chevy], and so now what.. value luxury?

I just don't know what they could do with it. Damn freaks. Olds was putting out some nice looking cars!

I hope somebody from Buick comes here to read this. There's a lot of useful information and good suggestions here...
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

scourge Guest

Quote Originally Posted by banstyle
    Since I'm a young'in, I've always seen Buick as this confused luxury car line. GM never really did anything 'cool' with it.
    When Buick kiled the Grand National and went to an all FWD platform (save for the Roadmaster for a short time), they firmly positioned themselves to be "Cadillac lite." Today, Bucik has absolutely NOTHING in their range that a sub-50 year old looks at and say, "DAMN! I gotta have me a Buick _________." The Reatta looked like Buick's best attempt at a younger generation, but with the insanely high price when compared to a Miata, it being FWD, and having the garbage GM interior of the time, it was a flop.

Buick has nothing that stands out to make a statement as a marque. Olds had the Aurora that garnered acclaim. Buick has ?????? I certainly hope Buick and Lutz are successful. I am not anti-America in any way, but I don't sugar coat posts either. Maybe if Lutz can make Buick viable again, maybe then Harley can borrow him for awhile so they can actually make a technologically advanced bike that can actually compete with the world on quality instead of nostalgia....make a racing bike that can not only compete with the Japanese, but beat them too!

You know, I wonder just how hard it would be to swap out the FWD Buick Reatta engine and swap in a Northstar in a RWD configuration? Hmmmmmmm, RWD Reatta. Now that would be bad ass!

Buicks most luxurious car is the Fifth Avenue.. It's nice but not very stylish... But overall it's a pretty nice car..

mnymaker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Seville STS

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
    Buicks most luxurious car is the Fifth Avenue.. It's nice but not very stylish... But overall it's a pretty nice car..
    Don't you mean "Park Avenue"? Chrysler made the "Fifth Avenue". Or is it Chry-cedes now? You know those guys who stole one of our American Car Companies, in a so called merger then kicked out all of the American board members and high level management, but hasn't really tried to merge in the Benz legend of reliablity and class with Chryslers styling and price range.

Yes, my mistake. I keep getting them confused.. Park Avenue! Thank you...

03EscaladeAWD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Yeah, the Park Avenue is nice. I'll take a black or silver one for my jeep in a heartbeat. You could put sales up at least 10,000 if you make it V8 RWD.

banstyle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by scourge
    Maybe if Lutz can make Buick viable again, maybe then Harley can borrow him for awhile so they can actually make a technologically advanced bike that can actually compete with the world on quality instead of nostalgia....make a racing bike that can not only compete with the Japanese, but beat them too!
    Lets hope for GM's sake that they do get Buick going. Otherwise, I think it's just going to be another one of those car lines without a market. That's a rather important thing in a capitalistic economy! ha! :banghead2

Your right on the mark with Harley. I ride my Yammie because it has better style, better handling, better engine, better feel.. hey, guess that means it's a better bike! Harley only gets where it is now because of their heritage.. which admittedly is a proud and powerful one... one that I appreciate just as much as Cadillac's and Pontiac's.

I remember when I walked into the Harley dealer here, they didn't even give me a glance. They thought I was just a kid looking at bikes, though I was a kid (20yrs old) with a 25k credit line ready. I looked around, someone helped me out, but they wouldn't let a 'kid' (who just passed his MSF with a 100%, and has been riding mopeds since 10..) sit on any of their bikes. Heck, I really wasnt interested in anything.. save the Road King. I remember the look on the guys face when I whipped out the letter from the bank, and said, "Too bad I don't get to buy my bike from you." The Yammie dealer was 100% opposite.. and when I saw the V-Star, it was exactly the look and the bike I wanted. Great starter big-twin.

Anyhow.... <smacks self for going off topic>

We'll just have to see. Honestly, I think they should have gotten rid of Buick and kept Oldsmobile. I still love the looks of the Alero and the Intrigue.

scourge Guest

Quote Originally Posted by banstyle
    We'll just have to see. Honestly, I think they should have gotten rid of Buick and kept Oldsmobile. I still love the looks of the Alero and the Intrigue.

I couldn't agreee more. Time will tell, but I thought they made a mistake that will come back to haunt them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.