Lexus, Lexus and more Lexus... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Lexus, Lexus and more Lexus... in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; IMO, it is best to get any car used.... You could get a 2002 caddy with less than 3000 on ...
    elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
    IMO, it is best to get any car used.... You could get a 2002 caddy with less than 3000 on the odo and save 20k......

In any case, depreciation by just taking it off the lot is extreme...

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Originally posted by elwesso
    IMO, it is best to get any car used.... You could get a 2002 caddy with less than 3000 on the odo and save 20k......

In any case, depreciation by just taking it off the lot is extreme...
    I agree, if you know the owner. Many leased vehicles, in general, may not be as well maintained, for example the people leasing know they will get rid of it and not change the oil as often. Mind you, there will still be some warrenty. There are some women in my large apartment complex who are leasing and one has gone more than 8,000 kms on her Toyota Avalon without an oil change! 4000kms is my limit for guilt. Elvis said it best and has a firm grasp on reality, "The public perceives the Lexus to be superior than the Cadillac, but no stats on the subject." Sal, I would never call the interior of a Lexus MORE luxurious than a Cadillac, thats subjective in my opinion. Beauty in the beholder and all that. PS Did you know that 1991 was the first year that Fleetwood started using real American Walnut for its interiors? It's in my brochure. Anything mechanical will break down eventually. Gee this sounds like the "Cadillac VS other manufacturers" thread.

On depreciation, true the first few years on Caddies they sink like a rock, but after that they level off a bit. It's the exact opposite for foreign luxury cars, they hold the first few years AND THEN depreciate. Especially after 100,000 kms or 62,000 miles. (here anyway)

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
    The interior thing certainly isn't a fact - just my opinion. Being in both cars, I can tell one is better than the other - atleast to me. The Caddy's feel loose. Otherwise - the depreciation is just ridiculous.. A 1995 Lexus LS still sells for $25k. Have you seen what the 1995 DeVille's are going for? It's a damn shame...
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

There may be a SMALL quality difference, but its definitely not worth 20k.....

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Value, is what someone is willing to pay. Unfortunately, that makes automotive values very subjective. Cars that are worth the most are generally "percieved" to be better cars. This, however does not mean that better cars, hold their value longer. Perfect case in point would be the Impala SS. They hold their value MUCH better than any other of the B or D body cars from the same period but are actually the cheapest of the bunch. Popularity rules in resale value.

So are you saying you could get more from a 95 impala than a 95 fleetwood....

Well yes, just like the movie F&F made Toyota Supra values skyrocket, popularity or demand certainly has a way of raising value for anything including cars. I guarentee that if someone used my type of Caddy in a movie, same color and external physical appearance, my car's value would escalate. The movie "Vanishing Point" made white Hemi Challengers quite collectable from what I understand. So popularity, image, reputation and quality play important roles for value of cars.

Hell yeah. Not that I like it but you can generally buy a Cadillac Fleetwood cheaper than a Chevy Impala SS. Check the ads for yourself.

That seems weird, their basically the same car, but the caddy is better in almost every aspect where they are different...... What aftermarket/performance parts CANT be used on the caddy that CAN be used on the impala...

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black
    For a '95LS to get 25K it would have to be in exceptional condition and very low miles.

To my mind the Lexus LS is simply the best luxury car out there. I am not talking about the fastest or best handling but the one that has the lowest cost to operate and that has incredible ride quality.

Things to look for on older Lexus's. LCDs in the radio and ip going out. Bent seat frames, air conditioning. Suspension issues which are normal with mileage.

And stay away from the cars with air suspension.

I am starting to hear about LS's with over 300K miles.

Certainly a superior car to anythng tha Cadillac has to offer right now in that segment.

How do you come up with [based on what]

"Certainly a superior car to anythng tha Cadillac has to offer right now in that segment."

"lowest cost to operate"

I'll agree to not having any northstar cadillacs goto 300k, but im sure there are plenty of 4.9 and LT1 cadillacs approaching 300k. I suppose there may be more lexus running at high mileages because the owners respect the cars more and will pay to keep them running.

I'm sorry, but i dont see how you coming up with their low operation costs. Their maintenance schedule is complex, and dealers can charge more than cadillac does for the major maintenance items... Most high operation costs of used cars can be traced down to a lack of maintenance on the first/second owners part.... Nowadays there is almost something you could be doing to prevent a certain part from failing, minus consumable items such as rubber, alternators, etc. Obviously EVERYTHING is going to fail at some point in time, but their life can be lived to the fullest with the best of maintenance...

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
    Lexus is just as expensive to maintain when something breaks - just things break less. That's a fact, Wes. That's why they're the lowest to operate. Unfortunately, that part is true. But, when something goes wrong - you have to pay for it and it's not cheap...

As far as the other stuff - their top performers out-perform the Cadillacs and they have much softer rides. Unfortunately for them, that means they don't handle as well. For people who love the old Caddy's where you never felt a bump, you'd be happy in a Lexus... For a better handling car, you buy a Caddy - but you're not as quick to 60 or the 1/4 mile.. It's all give and take and about what you want...

At any cost, GM is pushing Buick to get those soft, cushy interiors for their next generation of vehicles - labled the Domestic Lexus - while Cadillac is aiming for the Big Germans - Mercedes and BMW...
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

That is a good point, but i dont think that their differences would be substantially different.... I'm sure if you took a new LS400 and a new STS, drove them for 50k, doing all the same maintenance, I can assume that their costs (under warranty) would be about (differential of about 500, insignificant when were talking about a $75k car) the same.... Although, i have never owned a cadillac

Now in the long run, I can agree that they hold up better, but to some degree that is relative. If someone drives a lexus (lets say 95 LS400) with 100k on it, and it is still worth 15k, they are going to make sure it still runs. Now a 95 STS with 100k may only be worth 7k or 8k, and obviously someone isnt going to want to drop a ton of money into it, it only makes sense..... Nonetheless, i can still agree that lexus does hold up better..... But IMO, cadillacs CAN be as reliable....

Several magazines have "test fleets" and they report all the things that happen to the cars during the period of time they have them. Usually, they have the cars for at least 10-15K miles. Unfortunately, the domestic cars seem to have many more "issues" in these fleets from what I've seen. And quite often, the dealers inability to fix the cars properly is a BIG part of these "issues". Recently, I remember one magazine having SO much trouble with a Chevy Trailblazer that they actually had to have Chevy take it back to the factory guys to get it fixed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.