2000 Eldo ETC vs 1997 Riviera S/C
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, 2000 Eldo ETC vs 1997 Riviera S/C in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Since we have a couple of Riviera threads going, I thought I'd write this up while I have them both ...
    hueterm is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

2000 Eldo ETC vs 1997 Riviera S/C

Since we have a couple of Riviera threads going, I thought I'd write this up while I have them both sitting here:

EXTERIOR STYLING
    This is a toss up. The Riviera is more unique -- there is NOTHING like it past or present. The Eldorado is gorgeous, but much more conservative. I think both look best from the rear at an angle. I think the Eldo probably looks better from the side, and the Riv looks better from the front. They're both big cars, but the Riv is longer (for better or worse).

INTERIOR STYLING
    For me -- no question: Eldo all the way. The Riviera is unique, and much better than most GM parts bin interiors -- but the Eldo is much more refined. And the Cadillac Zebrano is better than even an aftermarket wood kit for the Riv.

INTERIOR COMFORT
    In terms of the seats themselves, I prefer the Eldo. They are much more comfortable and supportive -- although the headrests are HORRIBLE. WHY they don't pivot AND LOCK, I'll never understand. The Riv's seats are fine, although the headrests aren't much better. However, the Riv has more interior space. Way more headroom, way more front and back legroom. The Riv's back seat is useable -- the Eldo's really isn't. For me the only area in terms of space that the Eldo has an edge is the area under the dash, between the door and console is wider for your knees.

STOCK STEREO
    The Bose in the ETC isn't the best system in the world, however it is SO much better than the Concert Sound II in the Riv.

CUPHOLDERS/CUBBYHOLES
    They're both TERRIBLE -- however I've NEVER seen a car worse than the Eldo in this regard. I carry around a phone, a Blackberry, 2 Bluetooth headsets, sometimes a Garmin -- and there's no room to put any of them other than the glove box or center console. Plus the cupholders are big enough for 2 cans -- THAT'S IT. The Riv doesn't have any cubbyholes either, but at least the cupholders are a little larger.

HANDLING
    The ETC is much more agile/sporty than the Riv. Both have a great ride on the highway. Not a huge amount of difference here, but I prefer the ETC. I'm assuming that the base Eldo would be closer to the Riv in this area.

POWER
    No comparison -- ETC. The 3800 S/C is quick off the line, and is a powerful engine that still holds up well. However, it tends to lose steam much more at highway speeds compared to the N*, which is just getting going. The 3800 sounds wimpy though, compared to the N*'s growl.

BUILD QUALITY
    My Riv is 11 years old, and still doesn't have a rattle. The doors close w/a thud 2nd only to a big M-B. GM's paint quality in the mid-'90s could have been better, but mine is holding up well, as it is stored inside and is taken care of. If I left mine outside, though, I bet it would deteriorate rapidly. The Eldo is a little newer, and seems just as solid. The paint is gorgeous, however. The red is INTENSE and just the right amount of metallic flake.

MAJOR SYSTEM RELIABILITY
    Riv has the edge here too, in theory -- no RSS, no N* HG issues. However, trannys aren't as strong and the S/C is one more thing to break.

COLLECTABILITY
    I think the Riv has the edge here, due to the styling and the shorter run (4 1/2 years vs. 10 for the Eldo).

I'd like to keep mine, I guess, but now that I have the Eldo, I don't need it for my coupe fix. And if I'm going to have a trophy car -- it's going to be a M-B 560SEC...
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Re: 2000 Eldo ETC vs 1997 Riviera S/C

Great comparison!!
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

92EldoTC is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Ex:'92 ETC 4.9 Current:'91 Sedan Deville 4.9

That Riv of yours just might become a classic after what is it now to be a classic 25 years?
    Has it's own unique styling.
    Keep it in good shape.

hueterm is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

Yeah, not sure what I'm going to do w/it right now. If I was going to keep one as a classic, I think I'd rather have a black, red, or burgundy one (W/THE BURGUNDY LEATHER) :-) chad...

I need to sell it to pay for all of the work I've had to do on the Eldo... :-(
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

SLPR 6.0L is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Pulley swapabillity:
    Riv 10 ETC 0
    Pullied my late 99 for 70K of my 133K mile. Almost as fun to drive as the V, but squeeks alot less!

92EldoTC is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Ex:'92 ETC 4.9 Current:'91 Sedan Deville 4.9

just from pulleys, run the 1/4 yet?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.