Is a Buick Riviera 90% of a Eldo, without the Reliability Issues? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Is a Buick Riviera 90% of a Eldo, without the Reliability Issues? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I've got a 94 Town Car, and when I bought it, the rear end was sagging (dryrotted air springs). I ...
    devilleconcours100 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Deville Concours, 1981 Cadillac Seville

Re: Is a Buick Riviera 90% of a Eldo, without the Reliability Issues?

I've got a 94 Town Car, and when I bought it, the rear end was sagging (dryrotted air springs). I bought a set of coils that were made for a Crown Vic, and it doesn't sag anymore. That having been said, I wonder if you could fit a T-Bird coil set under a Mark VIII? It would save plenty of money

Dave

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

If I was to buy a secondary car ever for daily driving, I would buy a Supercharged 3800 car, and of all the excellent S/C 3800 cars ever made, my first choice would be a 98-99 Riviera. My second choice would be either a GTP Sedan or a Regal GS Sedan. The reason I like the Riv the most is because it's a big personal luxury coupe, with that great history behind the name, and it's got that very distinctive interior and exterior design. The GTP and GS are nice cars also, but in all reality, they're just gussied up family sedans with a lot of power.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

Shawn4.0 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond STS

The 92-02 Eldorado and 95-99 Riveria have absolutely ZERO in common, mechanically. The Eldy never upgraded to the new G-body platform, remained a K-body till it's end in 2002. In theory, they're sort of similar, the Edly is obivously a bit more upscale, as mentioned. The S/C Riv is the one to get. The regular 3800 had lots of intake manifold problems where composite cracks. The S/C solves this by being made out of aluminum lol. The issues with S/C's are due to previous owner neglect.

As far as Mark VIII vs. a Riviera, there's a vid just for you!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-OhVQGdDa2I

Slo-Mo-Shun is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V; TopKart Flash 125 Shifter

I have a 2000 park avenue ultra, which is 99% of a riviera. I've driven a 2005 DeVille, which is pretty much an Ultra with the Nstar instead of the supercharged V6. My mom had a 1995 Riviera which we got rid of for an old Jag XJ6.

The bottom line for the Riviera, and why I will never own one, is it has the most aweful seats GM ever put in a modern car. Absolutely no support whatsoever. "Car but" in 30 minutes tops. There is no excuse for seats this bad. If you want evidence of incompetance at GM, you don't have to look any further than the seats in the 1995-99 Riviera.

It's very strange because the Park Avenue has maybe the best seats I've ever sat in. Better than my STS-V, or the BMW 750 I had before that. Better than the DeVille. How could the same manufacturer have reached such extremes in such similar cars? My WAG is that somebody left over from the Electra 225 era got put in charge of the Riviera's seats and was gonna make dammed sure the sonofabich had seats like a "real" Buick, which he apparently thought meant velour and padding as supportive as cream cheese.

If the mechanicals of the Riviera are what you seek, get the park avenue with buckets. I agree that the supercharged V6 isn't quite up to the Nstar, but its plenty fast enough for a luxury car and is rock solid reliable so long as you remember to replenish the supercharger oil.

Mark0101 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): past 88 Deville

There are conversion kits for the Mark VIII to go from air to coil for $500. Really Its not that big of a problem as peopple seem to think it is. Riv is nice but I would say go for a Mark VIII. It has a lot better interior design and more technology. Just keep upi with the maint. and it will be good to you. But if headroom is the problem then I guess you can't really change that in the car.
    here are mine

JC316 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 Seville SLS *Lord Vadar*

The Mark VIII is a great car for sure, but I prefer the Eldorado over it. If you want more reliable, then get a Mark, or the Riviera, if you want handling and looks, get the Eldorado, if you want gadets, get a 98+ Seville.

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Chimpanzees share 96% of their DNA with humankind.

Oh what a difference 10% can make.

*EDIT* Happy Darwin Day!

Slo-Mo-Shun is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V; TopKart Flash 125 Shifter

Quote Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
    The Mark VIII is a great car for sure, but I prefer the Eldorado over it. If you want more reliable, then get a Mark, or the Riviera, if you want handling and looks, get the Eldorado, if you want gadets, get a 98+ Seville.
    My mom in law has a 2000 Eldo. Handling has a certain subjective component, but on an objective level the Eldo is hands down the worst handling car of the three. It uses an ancient, 1980's era FWD platform. The Riviera is based on the more modern Aurora platform. Even my park avenue outhandles the eldo. As for the Mark VIII, it is RWD and uses the same IRS as the Mustang Cobra, which should tell you what its handling potential is. It is the hands-down, no contest winner.

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-Mo-Shun View Post
    As for the Mark VIII, it is RWD and uses the same IRS as the Mustang Cobra, which should tell you what its handling potential is.
    So it has truck-like handling? The Mustang has never been known as a very good handler in any form.

The aluminum differential case and wheel bearings are all that the SVT Cobra and Mark VIII share between their IRS systems btw.

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

Quote Originally Posted by devilleconcours100 View Post
    Well, I'm not crazy about the interior of the Riv (I prefer the rich trimmings and pure luxury of the Eldorado), I can live with it. With regards to a Mark VIII, I would love to have one, but what I have overheard about the Mark VIII, especiallly the Gen 2 models, are hard to get parts for, and have some quite expensive hangups (HID headlights, 4 Wheel Air Suspension, Electronics gremlins), and the fuel economy isn't much better than my Town Car. But, I've seen some examples that were clean for very cheap, so I guess it is worth discussing, also. Which do you guys think is the better value, the Mark VIII or Eldorado?

Dave
    I replaced the air ride suspension on my '95 Mark for $380 (shipped). Did the work myself in about 2 hours, it was easy. The factory HID bulbs are hard to find and expensive IF you want all factory stuff. The passenger side HID was out when I bought the '98. Instead of finding another factory bulb I spend $110 and bought an HID kit and installed two new brighter bulbs with new ballasts and spliced them into the factory harness. A 1 hour job and now I can use any 'ole HID bulb. I grant you the fuel mileage isn' t very good but no worse than my wifes '98 Deville was.

Quote Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
    Like someone said the Mark has RWD and IRS. I have not driven an Eldorado but I can tell you that I wasn't impressed with the handling on our ex-98 Deville. The Mark in stock form is a much better handling car and then there is the aftermarket which is very kind to Mark VIII owners. Anything from suspension to stroked motors and superchargers. Anything the Cobra Mustangs can have, the Mark VIII's can have. Looks are subjective but I personally think the Gen2 Mark VIII is more pleasing to the eye.

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

I need to find a Mark VIII without a sunroof....and check the headroom.
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

Quote Originally Posted by hueterm View Post
    I need to find a Mark VIII without a sunroof....and check the headroom.
    How tall are you? lol. I'm 6' 2" and have at least 3" to spare. Mine does not have a sunroof.

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

Oh, well that would work -- i'm 6'. I found a '95 base in Chicago w/55K miles, but it has a moonroof.
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

As far as overall design is concerned, I prefer the early Mark VIII's to the later ones. I prefer the Riv's to the late VIII's, but between the early VIII's and Riv's, it's tough. But I prefer the Eldorados to all, as far as overall design is concerned.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.