Cadillac Owners Forum banner
6K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  LS1Mike 
#1 ·
A friends friend just picked up a 05 GTO with exhaust and is claiming it could kill my 05 CTS-V with exhuast, Lingenfelter CAI, and short shifter.

I'm thinking I shouldn't have any trouble with him but asking here before I embarrass myself.

#3 ·
A friends friend just picked up a 05 GTO with exhaust and is claiming it could kill my 05 CTS-V with exhuast, Lingenfelter CAI, and short shifter.

I'm thinking I shouldn't have any trouble with him but asking here before I embarrass myself.
In theory (based on magazine road tests) you should win, but the margin is close. Thus, it will (would) likely come down to the drivers and the condition of the two cars (tune, compression, etc.)

#5 ·
I have an LS6 and he has an LS2. But yea, pretty much the same hp/tq I think.

Considering you have the same engine, more after market mods, and a SERIOUSLY better looking car, I don't think you should have any problem...assuming of course you know how to drive haha.

#6 ·
A friend of mine and I ran 4 consecutive passes side by side on the drag strip, he was in his bone stock '05 goat, and I only have a CAI and cutouts, the closest he ever came to me was 7 tenths and 4 MPH slower. Actually, now that I think about it, I had 7 runs that night, and he had 9. So we got some pretty solid numbers for the day. We were within 20 pounds of one another too when we rolled across the scales that night, I chalk it up to the fact that the GTO's have a 3.4X final drive ratio versus our 3.73. Bottom line is you should be able to take him provided you can get out of the hole without any problem.

#7 · (Edited)
... I chalk it up to the fact that the GTO's have a 3.4X final drive ratio versus our 3.73. ...
Gotta be the difference then.

Would be nice to trade cars and see if driver-to-driver variability could be eliminated as an influence, too. Heck, maybe you're just a dang good driver! :cool:

EDIT: BTW, where's Castle Rock? I'm gonna be in Winter Park over Christmas ... sans the V, however.

#8 ·
Theoretically you should win. The goat has a 4.32 rear and the pimp mobile has a 3.73 rear and the weight is 50 to 100lb difference. However, it really depends on the driver skills, the one with least bog or spin off the line will win. Ultimately, the one without the broken rear diff is the winner.

#14 ·
The GTO is what a 2 door Catera-V would have been (they share the same platform).

The LS6 V beat the LS2 GTO in head to head magazine testing (I believe it was Motor Trend who had the comparison between the V, GTO, and SRT-8). Quarter mile strip will be close for sure, but meet him at a real track and you should walk him in the corners.

Also remember that at the end of the day, you drive away in a Cadillac while he has a P.O.N.T.I.A.C.

#17 ·
I readily beat a lightly modded and stickered 04 GTO at gateway. The 05 and new GTOs run much better than the 04s. It would be a drivers race with an 05+.
We have 3.73s to their 3.42s. But we are handicapped by out rear diff and IRS. GTOs have a solid rear axle i believe, which would make them easier to launch

#27 · (Edited)
It would be a drivers race, DON'T MAGAZINE RACE! LS6 VS LS2 VS LS2. It is very close, your advantage is gearing.
Now is his GTO a M6 or Auto. That will make a huge difference.

Even in the Magazine a .10 is nothing, DA, weather and track prep would all play into that.
I know you are on a Cadillac board, but you may want to ask this question over at LS1tech. Where there are Vs and GTO and vast wide knowledge of LSX powered vehicles.

Let me caviate by saying that you are just going to get a less biased answer over there, because there are Vettes, F-bodies, GTOs, V's etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.