'08 CTS vs '08 Pontiac G8 - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, '08 CTS vs '08 Pontiac G8 in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; OK, you want performance - go at least CTS-V Want "civilized" sedan that's feels like a "sports" car and have ...
    MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

Re: '08 CTS vs '08 Pontiac G8

OK, you want performance - go at least CTS-V

Want "civilized" sedan that's feels like a "sports" car and have deent performance and feels "luxurous" - go CTS.

You cannot get all in one package......and at that price....it is impossible....it is all about compromise and what YOU WANT!
    OK, you want performance - go at least CTS-V

Want "civilized" sedan that's feels like a "sports" car and have decent performance and feels "luxurious" - go CTS.

You cannot get all in one package......and at that price....it is impossible....it is all about compromise and what YOU WANT!

I wanted relatively good performance and handling and ride - hence DI engine and FE2. Oh, and the look and interior quality....

What else is there to match CTS? In all the categories I mentioned........

Did I mention I have never ever had a Cadillac? And Cadillac was not what I wanted?...

I wanted relativeyly good perfomance and handling - hence DI engine and FE2. Oh, and the look and interior qiality....

What else is there to match CTS? In all the categories I mentioned........

Did I mention I have never ever had a Cadillac? And Cadillac was not I wanted?...

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Cannot go wrong with a CTS. 08 looks are fantastic. Extremely reliable for past several years.

mkaresh is offline Banned

Definitely true about the appearance. The reliability, though, is unknown at this point. The car was thoroughly re-engineered for 2008.

MidLifeinMI is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6DI AWD

G8, by the articles & pictures, probably has a slight size advantage over the CTS. We all know about the horsepower advantage. However, for my purposes, the Caddy was the way to go, due to styling and (for me in a snowy climate) AWD. Besides, I just got out of one high-HP RWD Pontiac, why would I get right back into another?

mkaresh is offline Banned

Whether the G8 has a "size advantage" depends on whether you think larger = better. It's considerably larger, and the rear seat is much roomier. It's a big car along the lines of a Chrysler 300. The CTS is not (at least not yet) a big car. Instead, it tries to compete with compact competitors.

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

The pics of the G8 make it look narrow and with that high back end, it looks kind of looks like those old Alfa Romeo Milanos from the late '80s. It just looks awkward and foreign...kind of like the GTO. And I'm sorry, I have an issue w/bringing over these Holdens or whatever they are for Pontiacs.

Maybe it will grow on me in person, but I have a feeling my Pontiac days ended w/my GP GTP coupe (unless maybe I find the right Bonneville GXP and 1969/1970 GP not withstanding).
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

CVP33 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

I love the G8 and would definitely take that over a base CTS. But no way over a CTS-V. Sometimes the money you save is not worth what you have to give up. My priorities:

1) Price
    2) Power
    3) Handling
    4) Amenities
    5) Styling

So the argument becomes, is 100 extra hp and better handling worth another $20K in sticker price to get a CTS-V vs. a G8..........ABSOLUTELY FOR ME! Although everyone has their own heirarchy.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Cadillac ,no chance

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

MoFex - One can have it all with a V but true, not at the same price.

On topic - The top-of-the-food-chain G8 will be a nice machine. Unfortunately it will be devalued by the millions of frumpy rental car versions.

Think Grand Prix - think rental car; think GTP or the "new" GXP. Eh - Who cares.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.