Buick Riviera vs. Lincoln Mark VIII (vs. Eldorado) - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Buick Riviera vs. Lincoln Mark VIII (vs. Eldorado) in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; my step-dad had the first year MarkVIII. He went through three engines before getting rid of it at 30000 miles. ...
    JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Re: Buick Riviera vs. Lincoln Mark VIII

my step-dad had the first year MarkVIII. He went through three engines before getting rid of it at 30000 miles. And two transmissions. And three sets of something or other for the air ride suspension. And three sets of front brake rotors. And... well, you get the idea.

The second time he changed the oil, I was there with him. While the car was jacked up, he tried to open the door. It would not. That is some great structural integrity I tell you.

That was the biggest piece of crap car I have seen.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

You can't open the door on a C4 'vette while it's up on a hoist either.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

ETC and ESC get high marks for style, features, and quiet. It really is among the most beautiful and technologically advanced cars of the last 15 years.

But the Mark VIII is an outstanding car to travel a long distance in, especially when the roads get curvy. This summer I put 750 miles on a '93 and fell completely in love with it. 25mpg+, and it carved through the mountains and hills in Oregon with secure handling and supreme comfort for three grown men. 90mph through the bends. The chassis is also more balanced than the Eldorado. What the video says about the ride quality is true.

Riviera needs a wood trim kit to feel warm, but I like the shape of the cockpit otherwise. I'm sure the reliability and fuel economy beat both the Mark and Eldo. I've never driven one.

So for me, I'd enjoy an Eldorado, but the Mark VIII is the one I'd keep.

hueterm is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

Re: Buick Riviera vs. Lincoln Mark VIII (vs. Eldorado)

The Riv is one of the few cars that I like most of the aftermarket wood kits I've seen.
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

The Mark VIII is such a nice car but for whatever reason people give it a bad rep. the airbag suspension is a cool setup but when my level ride sensor went out and it jacked the car up and blew the airbags out I just went with a coilover conversion. It was the best $500 I ever spent on the car. I got it with a 1.5" lowering kit and it looked badass! The only problem was it would bottom out on speed bumps. I beat a modded S2000 in my bone stock Mark VIII from a roll and 2 ETC's. Now don't quote me in any way, shape, or form saying that that is the norm but that is just from personal experience. As soon as I got my Mark VIII the first thing I did was give it a tune up and it seemed to make a pretty good difference in the performance of the car. A lot of people don't know how to get the best performance out of the Mark VIII's because they just leave them in drive and you don't get as good of 1/4's out of them. But the Mark VIII (at least the 1st gens) from a 70 mph roll are beasts! I'd put it into 2nd gear and get it up to 70 mph and that thing would take off like a shot! Hell the day I picked it up I beat the FTS from a roll on I-95!

Mark0101 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): past 88 Deville

Mark VIIIs are good from 70 MPH roll, even the gen II. But My 93 Mark VIII would wipe my 97 Mark VIIIs ass every time. My 93 does have more mods so i guess thats not fair. I will try to get a video of my 93 vs my 97 if I get time.

Mark0101 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): past 88 Deville

Also I don't, when I drove the 97 ETC, I felt closed in. It didn't have an open feel to it. It also reminded me of my 88 Deville with the box interior.

BTW Every northstar I have test drove, why is the gas pedal so light? It doesn't have any feel to it.

SLPR 6.0L is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I currently own a 99 pullied Rivi with an DIY opened up stock air boxand 131K miles. This is the best car I ever owned, not one squeek or rattle ever and it is rock solid reliable and plows through snow. It would run neck and neck with the couple chipped MK VIIIs I have driven (95 and 97LSC). I also owned a DOHC 4.6L cobra which has a motor similar to the VIII, and nothing sounds better as far as exhaust note.
    Northstar ETC would out do both. As far as interriors I prefer the 99 Rivi, they added real wood accents in 98 or 99, and the round retro gauges aremuch nicer than the ETC or lincoln. The only thing the Mk VIII lacked was gauges as mention earlier. Rivis have more leg room in back and a bigger truck and get 25+ mpg.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.