Deville vs CTS vs Avalon...Wisdom
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Deville vs CTS vs Avalon...Wisdom in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hi Gang, Thanks for allowing me to participate in the discussions. I am a brand new member. I believe in ...
    Trump is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Post Deville vs CTS vs Avalon...Wisdom

Hi Gang,

Thanks for allowing me to participate in the discussions. I am a brand new member. I believe in the power of wisdom from forums such as this. Here is my dilemma:

My 2002 Mercury Mountaineer lease is up in August, this year. My last payment is July 10th. Since I will be approx. 10,000 - 15,000 past allowable mileage, and my buyout is good, I plan to exercise the buyout and not pay for excess mileage. I will give this vehicle to my wife to use, and purchase another for myself.

After much consideration, I have narrowed my choices as follows based on my allowable budget. I would finance the vehicle for 4 years. Here goes:

a. Certified Pre-Owned Cadillac Deville, DHS or DTS. Year: 2002 or 2003. Mileage: 30,000 (not to exceed). Prefer 15,000 - 20,000 miles max.

b. New 2004 CTS with 3.6 liter engine. Options not to run price any higher than $35,000.00.

c. New 2004 or 2005 Toyota Avalon XL (Yes, I know this is a Cadillac forum).

I could be happy with a., b. or c. I am 51 years old. My occupation requires me to address the "image" factor; although I don't need a new Mercedes 500. I work on occassion with mid to upper level corporate clients and visiting VIPs.
    I am also in post mid-life crisis. I am conservative, but enjoy a good time, and routinely throw caution to the wind, depending on my emotional state at the time.

I need a vehicle that will be reliable and dependable, since I'm going to be making payments on it for 4 years, and then trading in. I average 20,000 miles per year on a vehicle.

I fell in love with the Deville; however, some of my friends say it has an "old man" image; whatever that means. The "old men" I know have lots of "old money". So, I'm not sure that comment bothers me. Besides, I'm not 18.

The CTS is quite sassy and comfortable. It seems to have higher sex appeal. Just my opinion. Some think it's angular look is ugly. Again, I could live with it; although I like the style of the Deville a lot.

The Toyota Avalon is quite conservate and is a "safe" bet; however, it doesn't combat my post mid-life crisis. I am told that a well taken care of Toyota Avalon will last 400,000 miles! I wonder how many miles well-taken care of CTS and Devilles last?

Ok, I'll shut up. Your comments are welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Msilva954 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

Re: Deville vs CTS vs Avalon...Wisdom

Welcome, to me an Avalon would be out of the question because when you want to have fun ever you just cant. Period. A CTS is nice but in my opinion more for the younger crowd w/ the handling and all. I would say the Deville only because it can be fun when you want it to but when you want a great cruiser with good power and decent to good gas mileage its the way to go. The Deville is the best of both worlds in MHO. They will with care last to about 200k (at least that is what I have found). But with any problem including Avalons you will have your problems, w/ certified though you will have a warrenty too.

RBraczyk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I have heard of devilles reaching 300,000 plus. General Motors engines are very valuable.

RBraczyk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Sry, RELIABLE, can't type tonight

CADDYBLACK99 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-4 1999 Deville Concours

Welcome Trump!

Glad to have you as a new member with us! You have answered you own question, and the answer is given three times:
    (1)Choice "a" for you was (a. Certified Pre-Owned Cadillac Deville, DHS or DTS.)
    (2)"I fell in love with the Deville; however, some of my friends say it has an "old man" image;"
    (just step on the gas and your age goes from 51 to 18!) and
    (3)"although I like the style of the Deville a lot." Your words my man! I share what you mean about "image" factor in our occupations. And besides can you fit 4 full sets of golf clubs and 3 of your closest firends in a Toyota? I think not!
    Happy cruising in your Deville/DTS!

Paul

tru504187211 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville; 1990 Brougham

Image Involved?
    - must go for Deville then, but only since a Fleetwood isn't one of your options...

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Welcome aboard, Trump! And thank you for signing up! Let's see.. I like the Avalon too! So I know where you're coming from.. I love the XLS...

I could be happy with a., b. or c. I am 51 years old. My occupation requires me to address the "image" factor; although I don't need a new Mercedes 500. I work on occassion with mid to upper level corporate clients and visiting VIPs. I am also in post mid-life crisis. I am conservative, but enjoy a good time, and routinely throw caution to the wind, depending on my emotional state at the time.

Your occupation requires a DeVille over the CTS and Avalon.
    If you routinely throw caution to the wind - you definitely need a DTS.

I need a vehicle that will be reliable and dependable, since I'm going to be making payments on it for 4 years, and then trading in. I average 20,000 miles per year on a vehicle.

Well. Dependability goes to Toyota.. But the DeVille really isn't far behind.. I believe it's the most reliable Cadillac..

I fell in love with the Deville; however, some of my friends say it has an "old man" image; whatever that means. The "old men" I know have lots of "old money". So, I'm not sure that comment bothers me. Besides, I'm not 18.

The DTS is NOT an old man's car...

I think the CTS is a little too cute/sporty for you. Who told you Avalon's last 400,000 miles?
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

im 23 and im currently looking at a 2000 deville dhs in silver , and i drive a 94 right now

old mans car ? i think not , esp in the DTS , what a awesome car

dont listen to anybody , go with your gut , the guys gave me hell when i got my 94 , after seeing it and seeing me with it they reailzed it fit me , something i knew all along

you mentioned how the car fits your job , problem with the avalon it is blends in way too well with everything on the street , and with the ford 500 coming in a few months it will really blend in (darn near twins) . but dont get me wrong , its a great car . ive driven my share of them , they leave me thinking " a lexus with something missing " if your looking into long camrys (what i call them) i like the es300 best

the cts is too small to use for cleint entertainment , the DHS is a nice blend of your avalon needs and cts wants (unforetuantly most expensive too)

TimsToy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Go for the DeVille. My 19 year old son gave me greaf about driving an old man's car until I dusted his Cutlass Supreme. He's changed his tune now.

carguy16 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I would definately go with the Deville.

Toyota is a typical car in my opinion, I dont like how quiet their engines are, or the noise they make, especially at idle.

I have never driven a Cadillac before, but the newer Deville's look great. They have the LED brake lights, big V8, all kinds of neat safety features. One thing I like about the Devilles is the bench seat in the front and back of the vehicle. I have read literature online of a Northstar V8 in a 2000 Deville hitting 0-60 in 6.5 seconds on MotorWeek, I dont think your Avalon can do that.

About safety, now, Toyota is good, as is Cadillac. The Avalons average 3 stars, as do the Devilles. But how accurate are these results? On the link below this, I did a search for a 2002 Deville for safety ratings, the driver got 1 star, the year before the car got 3 or 4 stars, and the year after that got 3 or 4 stars as well, thats a little strange.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Search.cfm

But, the Cadillac is not an old mans car, I would say a Buick or a Camry/Avalon is. Not to mention, Cadillac sounds more classy as well, and a bigger trunk.

Caddy Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG

get a DTS...very nice image factor, yet fast and fun to drive because it is is sporiter version of the deville. There you go, problem solved.

caddieboy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS White Diamond base, 1992 Brougham White/White 5.7

Quote Originally Posted by Msilva954
    A CTS is nice but in my opinion more for the younger crowd w/ the handling and all.
    Wouldn't that solve the "old man" and "midlife crisis" issues? Then again, would they be solved with a young car? Dunno.

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

When I was 26 years old, in 1972, I ordered and took delivery of a new 1972 Sedan deVille. Triple black, paint, vinyl top & leather.

The neighbor on our right (and I quote) said, "It looks like a funeral car ~ why on earth would you buy THAT?" In 1974, her 15 year old daughter gave birth ! Right in the middle of Jr. High.

The neighbor on the left, said, "That's an old person's car ~ why would you buy THAT? " Later that year, her 20 year old son was arrested on a series of break & entries, to support a heroin habit.

The one across the street asked "Why I bought such a gas guzzler with gas at $1.37.9 a gallon?" I had allready known that her hubby had a girlfriend and that they could be seen every Thursday night at "Quincey's Bar & Grill". (Ran into her son last year, he drives an economical Navagator!!! )

I told them all the same answer, "I bought it because I like it" period.

Moral:-- Never care what other think, in most cases, they are not as good as you, and they should worry more what YOU think of them!!

Buy the deVille. A Cadillac like a Lincoln are ALWAYS respected.

Skuuter is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Buy the Deville. YOU will be happier for it and you already love it.

The CTS is too polarizing for your purposes, although I have yet to have anyone say something negative about mine!

The Avalon is a true yawner. NOT the kind of statement you want to make, unless the word "boring" comes to mind when people think of you.

JoeKr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS 3.6l SFI 6MT

I am in a similar situation that you describe....

Company car, 20,000 per year, mid-level executive selling to high level execs. I demand a performance sedan.

The primary difference's may be...
    I work in the automotive marketplace dealing with all the global automakers and Tier 1.
    A performance sedan is a personal requirement for the exact reasons you mentioned in your initial post - FUN TO DRIVE!

The vehicle that best fit my needs was the CTS - performance, performance, performance. This may not be your primary consideration. But in my company the company vehicles for NA Sr Management are...

President - ' 04 Mercedes 320E
    Western Region Sales Manager - 02 Acura TL
    Eastern Region Sales Manager - '02 Lincoln LS (six speed manual)
    Director of Automotive Markets - '04 CTS (3.6l 6-speed manual) on order.

Non-company cars...
    VP Finance - 04 Acura TL Auto (loves it!)
    VP R&D - '03 BMW M5

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.