• BMW

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Mercedes

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
29K views 98 replies 25 participants last post by  georule 
#1 ·
Lets just take a gander at what people really think about Cadillac Vs the leading competitors foreign or domestic. Lets discuss the pros and cons of owning a cadillac vs owning a LEXUS ect ect. I for one am partial to cadillac myself since I own one and have had not very many problems out of mine. I've taken care of my just like the owners manual, may cost a little more but I guess in the long run I have saved myself quite a bit of money. I hear all the time about how great lexus, infinity, ect ect are so much better than cadillac but I dont know why people feel this way. This gives us a chance to express our views on both sides. This should make for a good sometimes heated converstaion. But it should be interesting. So lets get rolling with this, In my view I see that Cadillac should be rated #1 not only by the cars design, the engine proformance, and overall luxury. I also think that Cadillac has done many technogical advances far ahead of their time. Tell me another car that you can self diagnose without taking it to the dealer. They may be out there, you tell me. Anyhow just something to get the blood flowing. It should be interesting.

#53 ·
Who cares? I don't drive an Indy car. Indy cars have as much in common with production cars as stock cars do.....Nothing! Besides watching a bunch of idiots making a left turn for two hours isn't my idea of a good time! Drag racing is the only kind of racing I'm interested in.....5 seconds, It's over......On to the next race!

#54 ·
kcnewell said:
Indy cars have as much in common with production cars as stock cars do.....Nothing!
The IRL is using a 'stock block' V8 design so that it would have a bearing on production car's.

But don't worry, Toyota is coming to a drag strip near you! ;)

#55 ·
I also dont see the point in racing like that. Watching cars go round and round gets boring fast. its only fun to watch the crashes, and for that I can goto demolition derby!

#57 ·
I don't like the way people say one car is a "rebadged" something or other. I was using the word sarcastically.

The point HotRodSaint is trying to make, I think, is that foreign cars aren't laughable anymore. And it seems juvenile to hate all other makes because they're not American. It's cool to be patriotic but not to the point where you're blind to fact and reality. But to each his/her own.

The fact is, as Cadillac owners, we can't turn our noses up to everybody anymore. That's what BMW, Mercedes and others do to US now. All we can hope for is to level the playing field for a change.

Go ahead. Drive up next to the top of the line Mercedes or BMW and give them a smirk. You'll look absolutely ridiculous and the owner of the other vehicle will feel sorry for you...

We're all biased here - and that's fine. But I want this forum to be a reasonable one. I don't want a "Cadillac rules all" mentality. We're not a bunch of little idiots who run around all day saying, "mines better than yours".

We own Cadillacs and we love them. We love them more than any other car out there. And if we have a brain, we want them to BE better than any other car out there. And that's not going to happen unless we acknowledge the fact that there ARE better cars out there...

If YOU had a business, why would you spend all sorts of money improving your product if it was the best out there?

#58 ·
Sal Collaziano said:
The point HotRodSaint is trying to make, I think, is that...it seems juvenile to hate all other makes because they're not American.
I'm an auto enthusiast first, then I'm an American.

If I really wanted to be patriotic right now, I'd refuse to buy any car made in, or that used parts that were made in, Canada, Germany or France.

That would eliminate most, if not all of the American car's sold today. That would leave me with Japanese car's as my sole choice.

But the world isn't flat, and I don't car if Getrag is German as long as the CTS-V uses it to shift through 6 gears.

A good car is a good car, and a bad car is a bad car. Where it is made, isn't important. The Aztek is the ugliest car since the Pacer! Which, like the Edsel before those, were all American.

And lastly, the anti-ricer rhetoric on this board is bordering racism. Which isn't at all a pro-America stance.

#59 ·
If you refuse to admit the "product" has room for improvement, then the "product" will never improve.

Cadillac's single biggest product-related problem is their engines.
Since 1985 they have been struggling to produce a reliable V8 engine for their cars. Think REAL hard. If the Northstar had NO oil consumption issues, oil leakage issues, or head gasket issues, what would the overall opinion be of the car?
In the end, all the cool features and styling in the world won't help you if the car's sitting in the dealer waiting to be fixed.

#60 ·
Katshot said:
If you refuse to admit the "product" has room for improvement, then the "product" will never improve.
Exactly.

Remember when Iaccoca was complaining about how the US makers couldn't compete because there wasn't a level playing field?

What happened? They (the Japanese and Germans) came to the home field and started making car's using the same labor force and same parts suppliers. Guess what? They also make them better here on a level playing field.

I'm glad Cadillac isn't whining anymore and is actually attempting to play with the big boys. It's taken 30 years to loose the worlds respect. It might take them 30 more to get it back.

#61 ·
HotRodSaint said:
Exactly.

Remember when Iaccoca was complaining about how the US makers couldn't compete because there wasn't a level playing field?

What happened? They (the Japanese and Germans) came to the home field and started making car's using the same labor force and same parts suppliers. Guess what? They also make them better here on a level playing field.

I'm glad Cadillac isn't whining anymore and is actually attempting to play with the big boys. It's taken 30 years to loose the worlds respect. It might take them 30 more to get it back.
Well said :thumbsup:

#62 ·
Unless they unleash something completely revolutionary--- like the 16

#63 ·
Handling:
1. BWM
2. Mercedes
3. Cadillac
4. Acura
5. Lexus
6. Infiniti

Performance:
1. Mercedes
2. BMW
3. Lexus
4. Cadillac
5. Infiniti
6. Acura

Innovation:
1. Cadillac
2. BMW
3. Mercedes
4. Lexus
5. Infiniti
6. Acura
Other than these 3 subjects, your rankings we're pretty accurate.
But in these subjects I see there is a lack of knowledge.

When it comes to handling, Infiniti is definitely not last; they should be second or third. The G35 out handles the 3-series BMW, The Q45 out handles all other non-German competitors, the FX45 is probably the best in its class (its a pretty small class though).
And just to prove that im not bias, how could any Acura beat out a Lexus or Infiniti. Acura only makes FWD vehicles, while Lexus and Infiniti both have RWD and AWD platforms.

When it comes to performance, Lexus does not out perform Acura or Infiniti. Infiniti should be among the top of the list.
Infiniti Q45 - 340hp, Lexus LS- 300hp
Infiniti G35 - 260hp, Lexus IS - 215hp
Infiniti M45 - 340hp, Lexus GS - 300hp
The Infiniti’s have more power than most or almost all of its competitors.

When it comes to innovation, what has BMW or Mercedes done that’s sooo innovating? Infiniti started the Voice Recognition Technologies, Intelligent Cruise Control, Rear View Cameras, Smart Active Head Rests, etc.

I don’t want to seem like I think Infiniti is better than all others, im just bringing facts into the discussion.

Before I get flamed, I own a DeVille and an Infiniti G35. Both cars are superb.

#64 ·
VQpower said:
I don’t want to seem like I think Infiniti is better than all others, im just bringing facts into the discussion.
I WILL!!:rolleyes: :D

Cadillac is still my dream and my passion, just so you know.

#67 ·
It seems we can not get past all these Infiniti guys, so I checked them out. The G35 is a sweet drivin car. The M45 is fast as hell, but ugly as a broken brick. I parked my old sls next to it and even the salesman admitted that the ol cad looked 'pretty good'. The Q is....well..'the Q'........I can't afford one anyway.

I got 6500 includin mods and tires in my old sls. got 137k on the OD. Wife says , the best rice is the new Z!. I told her save her cash for a CTSV . She said..K

Guess my old '*******' is showin..lol

#68 ·
I dont think the M45 is too bad looking.... although I do like the STS better.... The new Qs are GOLDEN!!! I want one when i trade my Q (which will probably be its death also)...

#69 ·
Sal Collaziano said:
It's a shame that Cadillac, Mercedes (especially) and BMW are all losing sales to a rebadged Toyota. An Infiniti can be considered a "rebadged" Nissan and an Acura can be considered a "rebadged" Honda. Which doesn't mean much. An Audi is a "rebadged" Volkswagen. Volkswagen OWNS Lamborghini... So what difference does it makes whether or not something is "rebadged"? You certainly get a lot more respect in the "rebadged" model. And, the rebadged model usually has better equipment (engine, transmission, suspension, etc).

Honda/Acura makes the NSX
Toyota made the Supra which made ZR-1 owners sweat.
And Nissan made the 300ZX which did the same.
Audi makes the RS6 - Know what that is?

I have plenty of respect for these car companies.. They build good cars.
I think you misunderstood me big time. Toyota does use rebadged toyotas so does acura. Infinity in the other hand uses different platform. Also Supra isn't near zr-1 in performance in a stock form but thanks to its iron block i6 it can be tuned to be a dyno queen.
I've mentioned audi rs6 somewhere. And yes i know what those things are.

#70 ·
Infiniti used all the same platforms (or at least did) for all their cars except for the Q! J30/I30 used maxima/300zx, G20 used sentra....

#71 ·
elwesso said:
Infiniti used all the same platforms (or at least did) for all their cars except for the Q! J30/I30 used maxima/300zx, G20 used sentra....
that was before not now.

#72 ·
True! That was a pointless post, i was bad mouthing my brand!!

#73 ·
Elvis said:
Acura doesn't even exist outside the US. They're ALL Hondas everywhere else.
Actually we have Acura dealerships here. I know we have the "rebadged" Civic here called the Acura 1.7 EL. It is a loaded Civic with leather, power everything, heated seats, auto climate, etc. And as far as I've been told you do not have this model in the States.:confused:

#75 ·
So what's the point about platform sharing?
What's REALLY bad about it? I mean I know what people THINK about it but can anyone explain why they feel it's a bad thing?
Platform and/or component sharing helps cut costs across the board and CAN lead to better servicability and durability of the platform over time. I think this is another time when the consumer has been led around by the press and "told" that the sharing is a bad thing, and everybody just buys into it.

#76 ·
I never said it was a bad thing....... Thats what sucks about the Q, all the parts are just for it, it doesnt share anything, and there is basically no aftermarket..... As far as the J30, it shares the powertrain with the 300zx, so aftermarket is basically unlimited.....

Samething with about every GM car. Think about it, if EVERY gm brand had a different powertrain, chassis, etc, service would be almost impossible, you would have to order about every part you needed....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.