• BMW

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Mercedes

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
29K views 98 replies 25 participants last post by  georule 
#1 ·
Lets just take a gander at what people really think about Cadillac Vs the leading competitors foreign or domestic. Lets discuss the pros and cons of owning a cadillac vs owning a LEXUS ect ect. I for one am partial to cadillac myself since I own one and have had not very many problems out of mine. I've taken care of my just like the owners manual, may cost a little more but I guess in the long run I have saved myself quite a bit of money. I hear all the time about how great lexus, infinity, ect ect are so much better than cadillac but I dont know why people feel this way. This gives us a chance to express our views on both sides. This should make for a good sometimes heated converstaion. But it should be interesting. So lets get rolling with this, In my view I see that Cadillac should be rated #1 not only by the cars design, the engine proformance, and overall luxury. I also think that Cadillac has done many technogical advances far ahead of their time. Tell me another car that you can self diagnose without taking it to the dealer. They may be out there, you tell me. Anyhow just something to get the blood flowing. It should be interesting.

#27 ·
I have NO IDEA what makes either one of them a consideration.....Other than the old " America bad, Import good" Mentality. I hear plenty of B.S. about how great they are but if you go to sites like this pertaining to them you see as many horror stories about them as about any other cars! Then you have to come here ( To a Cadillac site )To hear constant blather about how wonderful they are! Truly amazing!

#28 ·
I am not saying in any way they are better, becuase they arent. It is just a difference in build, possibly.

#29 ·
Resulting in what? A cheesey car built a different way? What's your point?

#30 ·
kcnewell said:
I have NO IDEA what makes either one of them a consideration.....Other than the old " America bad, Import good" Mentality.
I think mechanically, car's are very close in quality now days.

What car makers are finally learning (after 100 years) is that we buy car's because they look and perform good.

What I hate about all American car makers, is that they will raise the prices as the Yen or Euro strenghtens. Just because the Germans (or Japanese) are at a price disadvantage, doesn't mean it's time to be greedy. If they'd halt their greed for a year or two, then they could take over some market share.

So I guess what I'm saying is the car's are just as good, but the executives aren't. Which is what created the "America bad, Import good" mentality in the first place.

#31 ·
Kinda like when oil prices rise because they have to put a additive in. Then rise again when they have to take it out. And then they feed us a B.S. line about having to re-tool the refinery.
I think that kind of thing sucks......But, I'll keep buying our cars over their cars.

#32 ·
While Cadillacs are the best looking, are American, and have awesome engines, and awesome luxury features...the truth remains that they are last in maintenance, depreciate the most the quickest, and when they get above 60,000 miles, at least for me ...things start going wrong.
I would take a Mercedes over a Caddy. I love the Mercedes SL 500, as well as the BMW 745'S. Caddy mechanical reliability isn't very good... What good is a luxury car if it's always in the shop?

1. Mercedes
2. Bentley
3. BMW
4. Lexus
5. Acura
6. Cadillac
7. Infiniti

this list might be different than yours, but I rate mechanical reliabilty the highest overall factor.

#33 ·
AirJigga25 said:
While Cadillacs are the best looking, are American, and have awesome engines, and awesome luxury features...the truth remains that they are last in maintenance, depreciate the most the quickest, and when they get above 60,000 miles, at least for me ...things start going wrong.
I would take a Mercedes over a Caddy. I love the Mercedes SL 500, as well as the BMW 745'S. Caddy mechanical reliability isn't very good... What good is a luxury car if it's always in the shop?

1. Mercedes
2. Bentley
3. BMW
4. Lexus
5. Acura
6. Cadillac
7. Infiniti

this list might be different than yours, but I rate mechanical reliabilty the highest overall factor.
as i stated in numerous threads, it's not the reliabiltiy issue, it has more to do with not enough qualified ppl to do repairs issue. Also once you start having problems with german luxury cars, have fun with repeated visits epecially with electrical problems.
Also paying over a grand for a tuneup on 850 sounds very ridiculous.

#34 ·
Devil_concours said:
as i stated in numerous threads, it's not the reliabiltiy issue, it has more to do with not enough qualified ppl to do repairs issue. Also once you start having problems with german luxury cars, have fun with repeated visits epecially with electrical problems.
Also paying over a grand for a tuneup on 850 sounds very ridiculous.
Point well taken...however, to me a luxury car is a car that has great reliability to begin with. Part of the luxury is not having to worry about mechanical problems early in the car's life. Therefore to me, a luxury car's ranking depends on reliability as well.

#35 ·
And, another point, with those 850s, you may only have to tune it up 1 every 36k miles, where other cars may need more frequent tuneups.

#36 ·
Just by a caddi and get it over with people. Those who have one love them (most of the time). There are many other manufactures of luxury autos, BUT ONLY ONE CADILLAC. Just wanted to bring Cadillac back into the discussion. Thanks for your support. Can I get an AMEN?

#97 ·
Re: Cadillac Vs Other Manufactures

Uh Really, Because 1st America is were the car was born and we still control most of the market on cars. Not to mention that I still see more Cadillac's, Chevy's, Buick's, fords, Chrysler's, and Dodge cars on the streets then any other car, and by the way
American cars kick butt my moms SUV 99 Chevy suburban runs great we've spent way less money on it then my Aunt and Uncle have on thier crap Honda mini van. I would bet millions it would start before any cheap crap from china, Japan, Germany, Europe, basically if it aint from the Greatest country in the world(U.S.A.) I wouldn't even spit in its direction. And all the foriegn cars get a better ride from all the crap plastic that is used to cut down on cost, guess what, when the plastic wears out your screwed.

----------

Amen, Buy the first Luxury car all others are inferior copies just get over it.

----------

I don't like the way people say one car is a "rebadged" something or other. I was using the word sarcastically.

The point HotRodSaint is trying to make, I think, is that foreign cars aren't laughable anymore. And it seems juvenile to hate all other makes because they're not American. It's cool to be patriotic but not to the point where you're blind to fact and reality. But to each his/her own.

The fact is, as Cadillac owners, we can't turn our noses up to everybody anymore. That's what BMW, Mercedes and others do to US now. All we can hope for is to level the playing field for a change.

Go ahead. Drive up next to the top of the line Mercedes or BMW and give them a smirk. You'll look absolutely ridiculous and the owner of the other vehicle will feel sorry for you...

We're all biased here - and that's fine. But I want this forum to be a reasonable one. I don't want a "Cadillac rules all" mentality. We're not a bunch of little idiots who run around all day saying, "mines better than yours".

We own Cadillacs and we love them. We love them more than any other car out there. And if we have a brain, we want them to BE better than any other car out there. And that's not going to happen unless we acknowledge the fact that there ARE better cars out there...

If YOU had a business, why would you spend all sorts of money improving your product if it was the best out there?

Oh please they started it, they came in to the USA When we were perfectly fine with our original cars. We have two Chevy's and one Volts wagon(donated) hate the VW it's garbage

#37 ·
AMMEN!!!! :worship: ----> cadillac

#38 ·
Wes and all! I think Caddy takes a bum rap on many posts. Tried to post on the hread that KC closed. So here it is. Check yeasterdays JD Power reliability figures for 2003. Lexus ,,was first. Caddilac second. Infiniti third.

Infinit..(Nissan) is half owned by Rebault. If you want tosend your money to France, go ahead. It is stll a free country. I like the Cadillac.

TY for listening.

#41 ·
Thanks Elvis!

I too old to be puter savvy ..lol. drove up and back to Macon today on business. My old 95 hit 140k miles as it cruised at 85 mph. It didnt dump its crank when i kicked down and went 125 near Statesboro. Must be some thing wrong here.

Memphis got a big celebration and BBQ bout now. Is that right?

Memphis a fine city Bro!

#42 ·
BBQ is a week from tomorrow, judging on 5/17 (I think).

You don't wanna be down there on the river unless you want the smell of hickory and charcoal smoke in your hair until Memorial Day.

Glad I got all that out of my system before it became such a big national hairy deal. It used to be fun to go down there, now it's a nightmare.

#43 ·
Lexus reliability

Hard to understand the Lexus bug problems--my wife put 60,000 miles on her first one and it was in the shop one time for repairs--a rock hit one of the headlights. She is on her second one, with 20+K on the odometer and has had no problems. (LS400's) All her milage is in town, which I understand to be one of the hardest kinds, and most of that short trips. (Anything to keep her awqy from my Allante).

Hollis

#44 ·
Re: Lexus reliability

Hollis Walker said:
Hard to understand the Lexus bug problems--my wife put 60,000 miles on her first one and it was in the shop one time for repairs--a rock hit one of the headlights. She is on her second one, with 20+K on the odometer and has had no problems. (LS400's) All her milage is in town, which I understand to be one of the hardest kinds, and most of that short trips. (Anything to keep her awqy from my Allante).

Hollis
Are they as reliable as a Caddy or any other Jap?

#45 ·
infiniti is beatter than lexus , its more of a drivers car than the cushy lexus ill take my old G20 anyday over my Deville or a IS300

makes me sad to say that , id give a left ...something... to have a Q45a in good shape with new chain guides

ill hand it to caddy tho , id give a G20 up in a heartbeat for a CTS-V

#46 ·
Devil_concours said:
Here is my point of view on all luxury brands

Cadillac - ultimate comfort
Mercedes - Ultimate performance/bragging rights
BMW - Ultimate handling machine
Lexus - Rebadged Toyota
Infiniti - BMW of Japan
Lincoln - Abraham will be ashamed of sharing name with this company
It's a shame that Cadillac, Mercedes (especially) and BMW are all losing sales to a rebadged Toyota. An Infiniti can be considered a "rebadged" Nissan and an Acura can be considered a "rebadged" Honda. Which doesn't mean much. An Audi is a "rebadged" Volkswagen. Volkswagen OWNS Lamborghini... So what difference does it makes whether or not something is "rebadged"? You certainly get a lot more respect in the "rebadged" model. And, the rebadged model usually has better equipment (engine, transmission, suspension, etc).

Honda/Acura makes the NSX
Toyota made the Supra which made ZR-1 owners sweat.
And Nissan made the 300ZX which did the same.
Audi makes the RS6 - Know what that is?

I have plenty of respect for these car companies.. They build good cars.

#47 ·
ztikmedia said:
The lexus was not a lemon. They have a list of standard problems which happen on about 85% of their cars.

Here are the main problems.
Power steering pump leaks. (the high pressure hose)
Cloudy headlights, they fill with water and moisture (only on sc's)
Burnt out gauge needles.
Front control arm bushings

There are also a few other things which don't happen too often.
The motor itself is top qaulity and will still be fine long after the body has feel apart.
THOSE are the MAIN problems?! For God's sake never buy a Lexus! :rolleyes:

#48 ·
Yes, Infiniti is more of a drivers car than Lexus. Lexus looks to be more comfortable than a tight handler. Their cars have excellent power as well. But, they're less of a drivers car than many.

I'm glad to hear the DeVille is doing well enough to place Cadillac to 2nd on that list up there..

#49 ·
Sal Collaziano said:
It's a shame that Cadillac, Mercedes (especially) and BMW are all losing sales to a rebadged Toyota. An Infiniti can be considered a "rebadged" Nissan and an Acura can be considered a "rebadged" Honda. Which doesn't mean much. An Audi is a "rebadged" Volkswagen. Volkswagen OWNS Lamborghini... So what difference does it makes whether or not something is "rebadged"? You certainly get a lot more respect in the "rebadged" model. And, the rebadged model usually has better equipment (engine, transmission, suspension, etc).
Using this logic, a Cadillac is a rebadged Chevy. And a Lincoln/Volvo/Jaguar/Aston Martin/Range Rover is a rebadged Ford.

Realistically, only the Japanese makers rebadge their car's for the US. And that's because no one would even consider paying 50,000+ for a Toyota.

#51 ·
Elvis said:
Acura doesn't even exist outside the US. They're ALL Hondas everywhere else.
Nor should they! And they're all junk to me!:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.