• BMW

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Mercedes

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
29K views 98 replies 25 participants last post by  georule 
#1 ·
Lets just take a gander at what people really think about Cadillac Vs the leading competitors foreign or domestic. Lets discuss the pros and cons of owning a cadillac vs owning a LEXUS ect ect. I for one am partial to cadillac myself since I own one and have had not very many problems out of mine. I've taken care of my just like the owners manual, may cost a little more but I guess in the long run I have saved myself quite a bit of money. I hear all the time about how great lexus, infinity, ect ect are so much better than cadillac but I dont know why people feel this way. This gives us a chance to express our views on both sides. This should make for a good sometimes heated converstaion. But it should be interesting. So lets get rolling with this, In my view I see that Cadillac should be rated #1 not only by the cars design, the engine proformance, and overall luxury. I also think that Cadillac has done many technogical advances far ahead of their time. Tell me another car that you can self diagnose without taking it to the dealer. They may be out there, you tell me. Anyhow just something to get the blood flowing. It should be interesting.

#2 ·
The only thing I can see from the other companies that I used to wish Cadillac had was a 2 dr coupe like Lexus and Infinity. And my prayers been answered with the XLR.

#4 ·
NO CONTEST! Cadillac......When you think of luxury, You think of Cadillac!

#5 ·
Here's what I would say in order:

1. Mercedes
2. Cadillac
3. Lexus
4. BMW
5. Infinti
6. Acura

Exterior appearance:
1. Cadillac
2. Mercedes
3. Lexus
4. BMW
5. Infiniti
6. Acura

Interior appearance:
1. Mercedes
2. Lexus
3. Cadillac
4. Infiniti
5. BMW
6. Acura

Handling:
1. BWM
2. Mercedes
3. Cadillac
4. Acura
5. Lexus
6. Infiniti

Performance:
1. Mercedes
2. BMW
3. Lexus
4. Cadillac
5. Infiniti
6. Acura

Maintenance:
1. Lexus
2. Infiniti
3. Acura
4. BMW
5. Mercedes
6. Cadillac

Innovation:
1. Cadillac
2. BMW
3. Mercedes
4. Lexus
5. Infiniti
6. Acura

#7 ·
Since i'm a good handling loving guy i'm going to have to go with bmw. Auto leveling suspension on 7 series sounds really awesome so my vote goes for bmw. Sorry kc.

Also sal, in inline performance, mercedes kills bmws anytime, anywhere. Even their s600 sedan straight from the showroom is running mid 12s in 1/4mi :eek:

#9 ·
e55 amg uses same supercharged 5.5l v8 from amg s55 irc.

493 hp @ 6,100 rpm
516 lb-ft @ 2,750 - 4,000 rpm

That's prolly why bmw is planning on using a 500hp v10 in their next m5 :eek:

I wonder when the v-series sts is going to roll out and compete with those guys

also cadillac might have lexus in performance dept with the new 320hp northstar engine. We will see when the first xlr gets reviewed

#11 ·
If I were to buy a new luxury vehicle today my choices would be, in no particular order:

Cadillac CTS-V
Infiniti G35 Coupe
Audi S4 Avant
BMW M3
Infiniti FX35

Mercedes isn't on the list because of their addiction to slush boxes which most of know make a stock car slower.

Lexus isn't on the list because they have boring looking designs.

Acura isn't on my list because FWD for a performance vehicle is wrong.

#14 ·
Only coupe Mercedes is car - others are taxis (well, in Europe).
If we talk about luxury cars, then they are Rolls Royce, Bentley, Cadillac ... long empty place.... and then Mercedes and BMW.
If we talk about luxury, then we dont speak nothing about Audi
No hard feelings Audi fans ;)

#16 ·
Here is my view on all these mfgs
Cadillac- the TRUE american luxuary car
Lexus- Great cars, overpriced
Infiniti- Too cheap to buy lexus, but just as good as lexus (just doesnt have the same popularity.)
BMW- no one really realized how bad the older models were, but new ones are golden
MB- a car that makes you look rich, more expensive and better than BMW

my top three cars
1. Cadillac XLR
2. Infiniti Q45 ( :halo: )
3. BMW 760

#17 ·
Ive owned most of those. I had a cadillac eldorado for over 1 year. I never ever had one problem with it! All I did was change the oil, nothing else. Guess how many miles it had on it? 185,000!
I sold it to my brother and it now has over 200,000 miles. Its a 92 and is still in great condition.

The reason I sold it was because I bought a newer lexus sc400. Those things have so many problems. There is standard problems that you will have to fix on those things. They always happen to them no matter what, they are errors and lexus refuses to fix them.
Ive put about 17,000 in repairs into the thing in the 9 months that I owned it.

Im gonna get rid of that POS and get another cadillac :)

#18 ·
Good plan!!!!

What kind of problems did you have, just curious?! Lexus are known for good reliability, maybe you just have a lemon!

#19 · (Edited)
Here is my point of view on all luxury brands

Cadillac - ultimate comfort
Mercedes - Ultimate performance/bragging rights
BMW - Ultimate handling machine
Lexus - Rebadged Toyota
Infiniti - BMW of Japan
Lincoln - Abraham will be ashamed of sharing name with this company

#20 ·
Thats interesting..... So you think infiniti (NO Y IN INFINITI!!) is better than lexus.

KC, I know it doesnt matter because ITS ALL RICE!!!

#21 ·
elwesso said:
What kind of problems did you have, just curious?! Lexus are known for good reliability, maybe you just have a lemon!

Lexus are known for.........Whatever! The fact is that as usual people unrealisticly claim that they're great cars while overlooking the common problems that they have! If they have the same problems with a Cadillac, It's because they're American cars and everyone knows that American cars are crap! Those problems in a precious import car are simply idiosyncratic......'Cause everyone knows that The foreign car companies can " Do no wrong". Give me a break!

#22 ·
I guess it all depends on what type of vehicle you need.

I prefer convertables so the XLR would be first on the list. The MB SL 500 & 600 are sweet, but I'd take the Cadillac. Next down the list would be the Corvette then the BMW. I never liked the Lexus convertable at all so it doesn't even make the list. The Audi is nice, but I never thought much of Audi.

Four door luxury cars would start with the STS. The DeVille is just too big, and the STS is just right. MB is to over the top for me, and BMW is nice in the 500 and 700 series. Just to expensive for me. I have a friend with a Toyota and Lexus dealership, and he says the Avalon is a much better car than the Lexus for value and reliability. Price is better also on the Avalon. I never had much desire for the Acura or Infinity.

Two door luxury cars would be my choice after the convertable. I guess since Cadillac killed the best looking car on the planet, I would buy a used ETC over any other car. If a hard top Corvette fell into my lap, I would't complain too much. I Would love a Viper, but would settle for an M3 or M5.

I have owned SUV's for the last several years, but am considering a full size extended cab 1/2 or 3/4 Ton 4X4 pick'em up truck. I need more room to haul things, and the extended cab would have seating as good as what I have now. I like the GMC and Chevrolet trucks first, and then would consider Dodge for the engine and transmission combinations. Ford just isn't my type of car or truck. The new Toyota full size truck is nice, but just dosen't seem large egnough for my needs.

Thats why the make Chocolate and Vanilla, to give us a choice!

#23 ·
The lexus was not a lemon. They have a list of standard problems which happen on about 85% of their cars.

Here are the main problems.
Power steering pump leaks. (the high pressure hose)
Cloudy headlights, they fill with water and moisture (only on sc's)
Burnt out gauge needles.
Front control arm bushings

There are also a few other things which don't happen too often.
The motor itself is top qaulity and will still be fine long after the body has feel apart.

#24 ·
That is very true. On the 90-93 Qs, the timing chain guides fail, because their made out of plastic!!! Thats why i am believing more and more that imports arent any better than domestics. The only thing I notice is that they seem to be put together tighter. There arent any squeaks or rattles in mine, but there were rattles in our tahoe before we sold it. Although, we are comparing an SUV to a luxuary car.

#25 ·
elwesso said:
Thats interesting..... So you think infiniti (NO Y IN INFINITI!!) is better than lexus.

KC, I know it doesnt matter because ITS ALL RICE!!!
yes. I think infiniti is definitely better than lexus. Lexus doesn't have anything to offer to the public other than their reputation for quality but i'm not so sure if their quality is still top notch. Look at them rebadge just about every single suv that toyota sells.
Infiniti in the other hand is offering something spectacular, g35 coupe/sedan, fx45, m45.

Attachments

#26 ·
I agree. I dont know what makes lexus better than infiniti. They are just as comfortable, infiniti outperformes (Q vs LS), outhandles, and is just more advanced. You may say they are more reliable, but there are MANY Qs with 250k+. I just dont get it, but at least you know you have a good product and they are cheaper to buy.

94 Q45 with 120k- 8000 blue book
94 LS400 with 120k- 12k blue book

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.