Cadillac or Other manufacturers - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

View Poll Results: #1 Luxury car maker

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cadillac

32 57.14%
  • Lexus

2 3.57%
  • Infinity

2 3.57%
  • BMW

7 12.50%
  • Mercedes

11 19.64%
  • Other

2 3.57%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Cadillac or Other manufacturers in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I never said it was a bad thing....... Thats what sucks about the Q, all the parts are just for ...
    elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
    I never said it was a bad thing....... Thats what sucks about the Q, all the parts are just for it, it doesnt share anything, and there is basically no aftermarket..... As far as the J30, it shares the powertrain with the 300zx, so aftermarket is basically unlimited.....

Samething with about every GM car. Think about it, if EVERY gm brand had a different powertrain, chassis, etc, service would be almost impossible, you would have to order about every part you needed....

Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Originally posted by Katshot
    So what's the point about platform sharing?
    What's REALLY bad about it? I mean I know what people THINK about it but can anyone explain why they feel it's a bad thing?
    Platform and/or component sharing helps cut costs across the board and CAN lead to better servicability and durability of the platform over time. I think this is another time when the consumer has been led around by the press and "told" that the sharing is a bad thing, and everybody just buys into it.
    i never said anything about platform sharing being bad. I just said inifiniti cars are not like acura and toyota

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    I don't have a problem with it (except the Escalade being a Denali, ok just take it easy) I think it's great for parts availability, but then doesn't the Escalade seem somehow cheaper to you because of this. I mean at least MY Cadillac has a motor made "exclusively" for the Cadillac Motor Car Division. Question: do the Escalades use its own exclusive engine that only Cadillac builds or does it share with the Denali, Yukon, Halfton?? If it shares, to me, it seems to cheapen the vehicle because it is supposed to be special? Right?!

Originally posted by Elvis
    Sorry, Ralph. I forgot that Canada isn't a state.

yet
    I love the "yet" part, it gives me some hope don't you know! :lightbulb

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
    This is why I don't like to see something called a "rebadged" this or that. A Lexus ES isn't a rebadged Camry. If the ES looked like the Camry and the inside wasn't so luxurious compared to the Camry, then I wouldn't like it MORE than the Camry... "Rebadging" something is simply putting on a new badge...

Things have changed a bit from a ways back when the Riviera, Eldorado, Toronado (and what else) looked just like the Eldorado AND had almost the exact interior. Same goes for the Camaro and Firebird. Everything was almost identical. Nowadays, things are working out a bit differently since there are seperate "luxury" divisions...

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition
    "Rebadging" kinda reminds me of all those riceboys out there who have put big red "Type-R" stickers on their Mitsubishis and Hyundais. Hell, I've even seen a "Type-R" Dodge Neon.

We don't need no stinking badges!

But the thing is, 1st generation escalades HAD an almost identical interior to the tahoes.... So in essence, it was a "rebadged" vehicle...

This still goes on today.... The interiors of a Mercury grand marquis and ford Crown Vic are the same, minus some plastic wood trim....

That's the thing I have to respect about the Navagator, or even the new Aviator. With the Nav., it was a totally new and different vehicle than anything Ford ever built in that class. When you saw a Navagator's frontend comming at you, you knew what it was and or is. But Ford made the "identity crisis" mistake (rebadging) IMO with the new Aviator. Same as an Explorer, but with a different grille, front, rear end and different interior and options. Come to think of it, The Navagator and the Humer H2 are the only large SUV's that are totally unique and do not really share parts with others? Am I wrong?

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Sorry Ralph, the Navigator was only a slightly modified Expedition. That's why I got one the first year they were out. It was the same vehicle for thousands less.

I wouldnt think ford to build a new chassis just for that. Remember they only have 1 V8 (minus the truck engines), that they just add different things to make it more/less powerful....

That was the whole point to the "modular V-8" concept (which BTW, the Northstar is).

By "modular" do you mean 4 valves per cyl? And if so, why don't they use them on the Escalade or Navagator/Expedition if they are more powerful and supposedly better engines than 2 valve? And I didn't know the big Nav. was out the same year as the Expedition, I thought the Nav. was first.

"modular" refered to basic engine design. That the same basic block design could be used for different engines, anything from a V6 to a V16. You just lopped off, or added cylinders as required.
    You ever here anyone refer to the Olds V6 as a "short-Star"?

With the "modular" ford 4.6 V8, they add or subract many things to make the engine more/less powerful..... They may put on SOHCs or DOHCs, depending how much power they want..... They also change the compression ration, intake, etc.....

Got it, thanks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.