cts vs g35 - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, cts vs g35 in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; havent done it yet. Need a safe place and place where a lot of ppl we know will be there ...
    the cadillac kid is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): > BMUU

Re: cts vs g35

havent done it yet. Need a safe place and place where a lot of ppl we know will be there to watch.

this is may sound dumb, but from a stop, how can i get a good launch?
    i think if i just floor it from the get-go then it'll just cause crazy wheel spin and waste time? its not like either one of us are pro dragsters or anything, just want bragging rights.

so, again: what should i do for a good launch?

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

In some cars with auto, the best launch is to brake-torque from a certain RPM. You will have to figure out what the best speed is in your car, or if it is the best method at all.

Brake-torque is an old-school technique; you mash the brake pedal, and give the engine enough throttle to hold it a certain engine speed, i.e. 2000 rpm. Then when the light is green, you sidestep the brake pedal, and a heartbeat later floor the throttle. If done correctly, you should get a hard jump off the line with very little wheelspin. If done incorrectly, you will be rewarded with lots of wheelspin, or a bogged start.

The exact engine speed depends on the car. You have to experiment to see what works best. This of course only works with an automatic.

If you really want to show off, jam the brake pedal hard, floor the throttle, and take just enough pressure off the brake to get the rear wheels to smoke. A standing burn-out. I DONT recommend it though.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyhauser View Post
    A standing burn-out. I DONT recommend it though.
    ya i was dumb and did that a few times. ... looked good, but today the car is at the dealership for "premature tire wear." ... trying to claim it is the suspension or the alignment is off or something and try 2 get new ones under warrenty. (HIGHLY doubt it will work though. now regretting it thinking they may void my warrenty totally )

thanks 4 the info tho jim (i c that u chekced your User CP & noticed the added rep point )

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyhauser View Post
    Brake-torque is an old-school technique; you mash the brake pedal, and give the engine enough throttle to hold it a certain engine speed, i.e. 2000 rpm. Then when the light is green, you sidestep the brake pedal, and a heartbeat later floor the throttle. If done correctly, you should get a hard jump off the line with very little wheelspin. If done incorrectly, you will be rewarded with lots of wheelspin, or a bogged start.

The exact engine speed depends on the car. You have to experiment to see what works best. This of course only works with an automatic.

If you really want to show off, jam the brake pedal hard, floor the throttle, and take just enough pressure off the brake to get the rear wheels to smoke. A standing burn-out. I DONT recommend it though.
    That's true for most cars but I was actually surprised back when I had my Mark VIII. I got better trap speeds and ET's without power braking then with power braking. I remember reading something about it awhile ago and I forget what the reasoning was off the top of my head but I would say to bring your CTS to the track and tryout different things to see which works the best for your car. For my Mark VIII I would get the best times with turning the traction control off, O/D off, manually rowing the gears, and not power braking.

^^yeah, some cars brake torque doesnt work, you are better off modulating the throttle after releasing the brake pedal. I imagine this would be the case for the CTS-V if an auto was available.

C-Kid; thanks for the points, you said in there that you didnt understand what I was talking about, that is why posted again with an explanation.

Ski4Prez is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6

So, who won the race?

never happened -- were gonna do it this weekend (prom weekend) when our entire school could witness,... but i didnt have my car (caddy had my car and i'm not 21 so i cant drive the loaner).

if it ever does happen i'll get it over here and let every1 know...

Ski4Prez is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6

I've been wanting to race a G35 since I got my Caddy. I always seem to have my wife in the car whenever I get a chance though.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.