2003 Bmw M5 E39 - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, 2003 Bmw M5 E39 in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Just to be thorough, I had a stock V. I raced a friend with a stock 2002 M5. And from ...
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Re: 2003 Bmw M5 E39

Just to be thorough, I had a stock V. I raced a friend with a stock 2002 M5. And from 40-110, I pulled a car length and was still pulling...IN 4TH GEAR. Game over.

CTSV_Rob is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)

Why doesn't this guy just buy an M5 then go to their forum? He is just trying to convince himself that's the car he wants and will not listen to simple logic and real experiences.

Buy the M5, Get spanked by a Stock V, go and get your intake cleaned then get beat by a V again.

The funny part is if he does get one and he loses a race, that's how he will justify it. "The V must be modified, their is no way he could have beat me!"

Too Fun

04CTSVFLA is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

deuuuce your starting to look and smell like a deuuuce.....I guess you are what you eat....lol....

Ill will race any stock e39 m5 from a 20 mph roll for pink slips any day of the week.....Ive driven them, Ive raced them. They just arent as quick, plain and simple

I found out some very interesting e39 info. They changed the cards liters/hp/weight almost every year. So it really matters what year you run into. I got this info all from the same site. But someone might want to double check, bc that last #'s seem really weak.

4.7 seconds.
    1/4 Mile 13.2 @ 107.4 MPH seconds.
    Top Speed 155 mph
    4.4 L.
    400.00 HP
    395.00 Ft-Lbs
    5 speed

99 e39
    3450 lbs
    4.9 seconds.
    1/4 mile - ??
    top speed 157
    4.9 L.
    5 speed

00 e39
    4000 lbs
    4.9 seconds
    1/4 ??
    top seed 155
    4.9 L
    6 speed

what happened here????
    01 e39
    ?
    ?
    4.0 liters
    5 speed

V
    400/395 - 5.7 liter
    3847 lbs
    0-60 4.6 seconds
    1/4 miles 13.1

wildwhl is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Gents -

I have many, many hours when my V was stock against my buddy's 2000 M5 (mostlty twisty, but plenty of straight stuff too) and now modified as I am against his new (1 year old) M5.

In both cases, the V wins everytime, even when we swap cars.

Internet bench race all day if want, deucche, but facts are facts.

WW

A1beshouri is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

a buddy of mine has a 2002 we used to race quite a bit because we ran into eachother all the time, He didnt win once( I have an 06 V)

Deuuuce is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Charger SRT-8

So I must amend my statement to say once in 5th, it's definitely over. But it within the variance of both. 3.73 gears also mean reaching 5th sooner. I was simply surprised by the outcome. Shifting can easily make that much difference alone.

If any of you actually watched the repeated runs of an M5 vs. an SRT-8 on the boards it was close, very close. And I'm sure you don't all pull on SRT-8s, either. Your top end is in the low 160s, isn't it?

As far as internet bench racing, I've raced on 7 dragstrips in 5 states in over 22 years and the internet just enhances it all.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    You have no clue what you're talking about. I'm not going to waste any more time because you can't understand the simplest of things. If you can't understand that the transmission's gearing is coupled with the final drive ratio then applied with power to give you speed, then you have no hope. None.
    True colors are really starting to show here, aren't they? Nice job, everyone. Just publish the top speed in 4th and 5th and be done with it, okay?

StealthViggen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

I think you might be confused as to what exactly you are trying to prove. If both cars were limited to staying in 4th gear, then the the M5 would have more RPM overhead, couple with lower gearing, thus could attain a higher top speed in that specific gear. But you know what magically occurs in a CTS-V when you hit top RPM in 4th>>>>? You shift to 5th and keep accelerating! Transmission ratio is multiplied by the final drive, so the V is still pulling hard in 5th, and decently in 6th. I have raced an M5 from 80 to about 200KM and I pulled 2 cars hard, and stayed that way untill 200km. I also molested both an M5 and S4 from a 5 KM roll. 4+ cars on the S4 in about 10 seconds and 3 on the M5.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuuuce View Post
    True colors are really starting to show here, aren't they? Nice job, everyone. Just publish the top speed in 4th and 5th and be done with it, okay?
    And if you gave the V 800hp, it could redline the ultratall 6th gear at like 190mph. But you need power to get there.

I don't know if the BMW can get a higher top speed in each gear or not, but it doesn't get there faster than the V. Someone with as much "experience" as you should know that.

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Moderators are looking for a calendar with a countdown!!

You are all going to be in big do-doo.

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    And if you gave the V 800hp, it could redline the ultratall 6th gear at like 190mph. But you need power to get there.

I don't know if the BMW can get a higher top speed in each gear or not, but it doesn't get there faster than the V. Someone with as much "experience" as you should know that.
    And fifth is an OD, correct? When is the shift to 5th? If the answer to the first question is yes, the speed in the 2nd question is when the M5 will pull. If you're making a blanket statement about CTS-Vs beating M5s, then include the C5 6M and SRT-8 while you're at it. And how many trap at 110mph stock?

My entire point which seems to have gone way over your head, is the cars are about as close as you can get and even in 4th at 1:1, the M5 is NOT in a 1:1 ratio and once in an OD 5th, it's over. The M5 unrestricted can hit approx. 180mph.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuuuce View Post
    And fifth is an OD, correct? When is the shift to 5th? If the answer to the first question is yes, the speed in the 2nd question is when the M5 will pull. If you're making a blanket statement about CTS-Vs beating M5s, then include the C5 6M and SRT-8 while you're at it. And how many trap at 110mph stock?

My entire point which seems to have gone way over your head, is the cars are about as close as you can get and even in 4th at 1:1, the M5 is NOT in a 1:1 ratio and once in an OD 5th, it's over. The M5 unrestricted can hit approx. 180mph.
    No, 5th is not an OD, 6th is however. The V goes like a bat out of hell to 161 in 5th gear. 6th is too tall to accelerate with 400hp.

I'd say personal experience with me in my stock V against a stock 2002 M5, both good drivers(again, I knew the BMW owner), and the V winning is NOT a blanket statement. Why you can't just accept being wrong is beyond me.

Is 5th 1:1? How exactly am I wrong, exactly?

Don't bother. 4th is 1:1, 5th is .84 which IS an OD gear. 6th is .56.

The M5 is a 1:00 5th, 6th is .83.

The advantage of the 3:73 rear isn't so definitive when 1st for the M5 has a 4.23 1st gear ratio, the CTS-V a 2.97. Top gear 30-50 and 50-70mph roll-on has the M5 quicker by 2 and 3 seconds respectively.

4th gear redline is 135mph, 5th at redline is the top speed, 161.

Both have to shift into 5th at 134-135mph. Thats where the gearing and aerodynamics come into play, the M5 is in a 1:1 gear.

Interestingly, also from C&D, the CSRT-8 hit 120mph in 15.9 seconds, the CTS-V at 16.0. Definitely a drivers race and possible edge to the CTS-V if powershifted.

Very close competitors.

mdc
    mdc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Raven CTS-V No CAGS & UUC Shifter/Bushings

At which point are you going to accept that looking at a bunch of numbers will not determine the race

There have been 4 different posts in this thread have have disputed your theories and you still persist

If all anyone cared about were some stupid numbers, there would be no point in racing. The difference here is that a bunch of people have actually left their desk, started the car and PROVED that they could do it. You sit at your desk, crunch numbers and prove NOTHING

See the difference?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.