2003 Bmw M5 E39 - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, 2003 Bmw M5 E39 in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by 2002BlueWS6 Ok guys well I finally found my race. My buddy has had his E39 M5 for ...
    Deuuuce is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Charger SRT-8

Re: 2003 Bmw M5 E39

Quote Originally Posted by 2002BlueWS6 View Post
    Ok guys well I finally found my race. My buddy has had his E39 M5 for a few weeks now and we ran them yesterday four times. First was from 50-140 and then from 20-70 and 30-70 and then off the line. The V pulled everytime. On the 50-140 I had about 2 car lengths and was still pulling away.

Anways thought I would share this. I have been pondering this race for a while now. I figured I would win but didnt realize I would keep pulling even at 130 so Im pretty happy. Ive driven the M5 and its real fast. Anyways...
    Does he have any track experience? With 108-110mph trap speeds, I'm surprised you pulled every time, consistently.

Especially the run to 140mph. What speed do you shift to 4th? He should have walked you after that.

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by Deuuuce View Post
    Does he have any track experience? With 108-110mph trap speeds, I'm surprised you pulled every time, consistently.

Especially the run to 140mph. What speed do you shift to 4th? He should have walked you after that.
    The V is faster than the E39, all day, every day...

2002BlueWS6 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

Yeah he does have about 5 track days under his belt, while I have never made a pass at the track. He is as good of a driver as me if not better. I dont remember exactly what speed I shifted to 4th but it was right at redline so 90 maybe? not sure... once I hit forth I was still noticeably pulling away. He even mentioned how he thought he would come back on me but it just got worse for him. Ive driven his M5... its real real fast, especially on top but we ran 4 times and all of them were legit. I suppose if I didnt have headers or EFI it would have been closer but the V would have likely still pulled at least a half car or more.

Yeah he does have about 5 track days under his belt, while I have never made a pass at the track. He is as good of a driver as me if not better. I dont remember exactly what speed I shifted to 4th but it was right at redline so 90 maybe? not sure... once I hit forth I was still noticeably pulling away. He even mentioned how he thought he would come back on me but it just got worse for him. Ive driven his M5... its real real fast, especially on top but we ran 4 times and all of them were legit. I suppose if I didnt have headers or EFI it would have been closer but the V would have likely still pulled at least a half car or more.
    I thought you were stock. That's all the difference. Stock vs. Stock above 100mph it would pull on a CTS-V and no contest once the V hits 4th.

There are a couple of minor tuning tips/cleaning for the E39 M5, I wonder if his is a bit slow.

I thought you were stock. That's all the difference. Stock vs. Stock above 100mph it would pull on a CTS-V and no contest once the V hits 4th.

There are a couple of minor tuning tips/cleaning for the E39 M5, I wonder if his is a bit slow.
    The V's torque curve and gearing would contradict that statement. My run with a 2002 E39 showed no catching up and that was stock/stock. I was still pulling on him when we hit 110, well into 4th gear...

2002BlueWS6 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

Not really sure about that. I pulled pretty hard. Headers and tune will give me a slight advantage over a stock V but not that much..... I have to imagine if I was stock I would have still pulled, just to a lesser extent.

His car is real clean and he reads up on all the forums in effort to have that thing run how it should. He updated a bunch of stuff including the MAFs which are suppose to be the main source of power loss and just replaced the clutch as well. He said he runs faster than the others he has driven also.

Not to discredit the M5, because I love the car, but the V is clearly the faster car, and not surprisingly even moreso when slightly modded.

Not really sure about that. I pulled pretty hard. Headers and tune will give me a slight advantage over a stock V but not that much..... I have to imagine if I was stock I would have still pulled, just to a lesser extent.

His car is real clean and he reads up on all the forums in effort to have that thing run how it should. He updated a bunch of stuff including the MAFs which are suppose to be the main source of power loss and just replaced the clutch as well. He said he runs faster than the others he has driven also.

Not to discredit the M5, because I love the car, but the V is clearly the faster car, and not surprisingly even moreso when slightly modded.
    Yep, that is what I was referring to. I would think headers and tune would be EXACTLY for a run like that. You must have a factory freak because once you hit your 4th gear (1:1 ratio, correct?) It should have been all over for you. They hit 150mph about .6 seconds faster than an SRT-8 which doesn't hit 4th until 120mph. The gearing is superior and they have better high-rpm breathing.

Yep, that is what I was referring to. I would think headers and tune would be EXACTLY for a run like that. You must have a factory freak because once you hit your 4th gear (1:1 ratio, correct?) It should have been all over for you. They hit 150mph about .6 seconds faster than an SRT-8 which doesn't hit 4th until 120mph. The gearing is superior and they have better high-rpm breathing.
    The V has a 3.73 final drive ratio. Here's the gearing...

Gear/Ratio
    1st-2.97:1
    2nd-2.07:1
    3rd-1.43:1
    4th-1.00:1
    5th-0.84:1
    6th-0.56:1

As far as better breathing, have you seen the torque curve on the LS6/2 engines? The V does not run out of breath.

Kadonny is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Owned 3 V's, now driving a GC STR8

I got spanked by one in my CTS-V last summer on a long winding ride home from work. E39 M5 with a BMW driving instructor behind the wheel. Not too shabby I guess, I had him in the straights, he spanked me in the corners. His car turned like on rails.

Seattle CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V (sold)

E39 M5's do not trap 108-110mph. More like 105-106mph. Hell, last time I was at the drags a new E60's best trap was only 111mph. Most of his runs were 110mph. And don't tell me the guy couldn't drive cuz it's a damn SMG.

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle CTS-V View Post
    E39 M5's do not trap 108-110mph. More like 105-106mph. Hell, last time I was at the drags a new E60's best trap was only 111mph. Most of his runs were 110mph. And don't tell me the guy couldn't drive cuz it's a damn SMG.
    Uh huh. They do, that's why they pull on E46 M3s and run even with SRT-8s. And your singular example in no way represents an E60, either.

What a race from a roll eliminates is the other factors that make for bad runs at a dragstrip: the launch and heat soak.

The M5 in question from the post may have needed a notoriously hp-robbing intake cleaning specific to that model. Regardless, once in 4th, it should have been over for the CTS-v.

Uh huh. They do, that's why they pull on E46 M3s and run even with SRT-8s. And your singular example in no way represents an E60, either.

What a race from a roll eliminates is the other factors that make for bad runs at a dragstrip: the launch and heat soak.

The M5 in question from the post may have needed a notoriously hp-robbing intake cleaning specific to that model. Regardless, once in 4th, it should have been over for the CTS-v.
    What can you not understand? Yes the M5 has quicker gearing in 4th. But you totally ignore a simple fact. The V has a 3.73 final drive ratio. What does the M5 have? Guess what? It's much taller. The V walks the M5 in 4th. Deal with it.

I'VE DONE IT PERSONALLY. Stock for stock. Game over.

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle CTS-V View Post
    Don't sweat this guy, Seattle. He is an internet bench racer and he doesn't even have his numbers straight.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    What can you not understand? Yes the M5 has quicker gearing in 4th. But you totally ignore a simple fact. The V has a 3.73 final drive ratio. What does the M5 have? Guess what? It's much taller. The V walks the M5 in 4th. Deal with it.

I'VE DONE IT PERSONALLY. Stock for stock. Game over.
    Gears don't determine the outcome, hence similar trap speeds. What speed is the top of 4th? Game over in 5th, too.

Gears don't determine the outcome, hence similar trap speeds. What speed is the top of 4th? Game over in 5th, too.
    You have no clue what you're talking about. I'm not going to waste any more time because you can't understand the simplest of things. If you can't understand that the transmission's gearing is coupled with the final drive ratio then applied with power to give you speed, then you have no hope. None.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.