If money was no issue, would you buy a Super Lux or Multiple V's
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, If money was no issue, would you buy a Super Lux or Multiple V's in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; ...
    GMBOUND is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

If money was no issue, would you buy a Super Lux or Multiple V's

Checking out this article today at work and thinking to my self for the money and the performance, we V drivers are really getting a good deal. Looking at the prices that are listed below, If I had that same money to blow I would get three V's instead of 1 of these supercars.
    1. Beater V - daily driver, Blizzacks & UUC
    2. Weekend driver V
    3. Track V - Fully loaded with all MODS known to Forumn community.

Check out the article below:
    Luxury Cars Losing Luster?
    businessweek.com (BusinessWeek)

By David Kiley

April 10, 2007

Back in the 1990s, super-luxury brands traded like gold futures and carmakers obliged the market by planning models priced above $100,000. One would have thought that every Microsoft secretary who got in on the company's initial public offering and every founder of a getrich.com startup was going to want to drive a custom-built rod.

What else could explain the fevered interest in brands like Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Lamborghini, Bugatti, and Maybach? Though sales of those brands, with the exception of Bentley, have disappointed, new offerings showcased at this week's New York International Auto Show indicate that automakers still see gold in exclusive, expensive, limited quantity automobiles.

DaimlerChrysler's Mercedes-Benz hasn't scored much buzz with its $350,000 to $450,000 Maybach sedans, which it offers in an extended wheel-base version for owners who do most of their riding in the backseat. The car is oddly styled for many, and there's a growing consensus that most buyers of high-end cars want designs that are more personal – coupes and roadsters – but don't want them so finicky that they spend as much time being retuned by mechanics as they do on the road.

So this week, Mercedes is showing the CLK63 AMG Black Series, which is a street-legal version of Mercedes' Formula One race car. It features 500 horsepower from a 6.2-liter V8 engine, which will help the car along to 186 miles per hour. Buyers who don't have access to the autobahn and want to air it out in the U.S. on some of the closed tracks that are available can remove the backseat to hold the car's weight down. If this is what gets your blood pumping, get your order in. Mercedes will only produce 500 to 700, with a price of $140,000 to $150,000 in the U.S. – if you can get one.

Bentley, which appeared to be dead under the ownership of Rolls-Royce a decade ago, has, to the surprise of many, come back from the grave under ownership of Volkswagen. Sales of the British brand are up 29 percent in the first quarter, and it's on track to sell some 4,500 cars in the U.S. alone this year. The unlikely success has been created largely on the back of the stylish and extremely well-turned-out Continental GT, which sells for $170,000.

At this week's show, Bentley is introducing the Bentley Brooklands, a much bulkier coupe than the Continental derived from the Arnage sedan. The car's twin-turbo V8 generates 530 horsepower. It goes on sale later this year, but dealers are taking orders now, as well as the customization specs most buyers demand. Bentley only plans to produce about 500 of these cars, which will price out from $300,000 and up, depending on how crazy the buyer gets with customizing.

Maserati is showing the GranTurismo, a coupe version of the Italian automaker's Quattroporte sedan. Maserati is another marque that's showing signs of resurgence, posting a 5.4 percent sales increase for the first quarter thanks to improved distribution and marketing under Maserati North America chief Jim Selwa.

The GranTurismo may not be as practical as the four-door Quattro, but who buys a Maserati for left-brain reasons? The GT produces 405 horsepower from a V8, going from 0 to 60 in 5.1 seconds and reaching a top speed of 177 mph. To be priced between $100,000 and $125,000 when it goes on sale in a few months, the GT could turn out to be a cool alternative to the Bentley Continental GT for Sophia Loren fans.

Audi, another of Volkswagen's premium brands, has a lot of momentum behind it, as quality and design have improved and an increasing number of buyers discover the brand as an alternative to the more ubiquitous BMW and Mercedes-Benzes. Audi sales overall are up 18 percent in the first quarter. But that gain is driven mostly by the 5,400 Q7 crossovers that it didn't have to sell last year. Sales of the Audi A6 and A8 are way down.

In an effort to boost interest, Audi in the next few weeks will begin delivering the R8 coupe to dealers. Already drawing positive reviews from respectable auto-enthusiast magazines, the R8 is priced starting at $107,000. It has a 4.2-liter V8 engine making 420 horsepower and a 0 to 100 km/h (0 to 62 mph) time of about 4.2 seconds is possible, Audi says, with a top speed of about 301 km/h (187 mph). As VW owns both Audi and Lamborghini, the R8's layout and chassis are based on that of the Lamborghini Gallardo, and the two vehicles share transmissions.

Luxury makers are certainly looking to stir some buzz at the high end of their lineup. Whether it's a wobbly stock market or changing tastes, there's a lot of surplus sheet metal at the high end, despite record bonuses at Wall Street firms such as Goldman Sachs. BMW's 7 Series sales are down 30 percent. Mercedes S Class sales are off 13 percent a year after the new one debuted, and SLK sales are off 30 percent. Audi A8 sales are off 33 percent. Porsche sales are down across the board.

One of the few bright spots is that first-quarter sales at Fiat-owned Ferrari sales are up 17 percent, to 400 cars, lending credence to the idea that there's still a robust market for exclusivity. Also, Aston Martin, which Ford recently sold to a private equity group for almost $900 million, has done well. Sales have been climbing, driven by the mounting popularity of the $170,000 DB, as well as the $110,000 V8 Vantage, which reviewers have said is quite worthy of the James Bond Aston Martin badge, despite its relatively low price for this marque.

"Ultra luxury is a very difficult market to figure, and it often ebbs and flows more than other parts of the market," says Victor Doolan, former head of Volvo Cars and BMW North America. "One thing is a constant, though, and that's that the success of those cars is very dependent on arresting design and an aura of exclusivity."

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Re: If money was no issue, would you buy a Super Lux or Multiple V's

I'd get a super luxury car if I had the money and if Cadillac would build it.

parexa is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

honda owners say they wouldn't buy a caddy if they had the money lol.
    but in reality for rich guys caddy is a no no and bentley yes yes, lambo wohoo! wohoo!

gergreg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 RedLine Cadillac CTS-V

I'd get a S65.

Kadonny is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Owned 3 V's, now driving a GC STR8

I saw the AMG version of the S just last week. It looked freaking killer. Not sure what size engine it has since there was no numerical badging, just the AMG. It has to be a larger engine than the 6.3 that is in the E.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

I keep reading in the car mags that the super lux brands are having no problems fulfulling orders. The super-rich will always have money and always need new supercars.

Even if I had the money, I dont think I would buy one though. I cannot see spending that much money on a perishible item. I would spend my money on classics.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.