M5 Vs rest - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, M5 Vs rest in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by frip When it comes to the fun quotient of driving the new M3 looks like being a ...
    Kadonny is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Owned 3 V's, now driving a GC STR8

Re: M5 Vs rest

Quote Originally Posted by frip View Post
    When it comes to the fun quotient of driving the new M3 looks like being a better ride than the M5. It weighs less, costs less and courtesy of a V8 engine should sound better. Apparently buyers are trading in their M5 V10s with SMG for the Alpina B5 in Europe, so it looks like not everyone appreciates the M5's gearbox.

Ahhhh, but here is the kicker. BMW is changing the SMG out in the M5 this August. They are going with a new DSG type transmission that will make the M5 hot once again (like it ever was not hot, even with the SMG).

Give BMW credit, they stay on the cutting edge and make cars that can more than hold their own.

As to trading an M5 on a new M3, NEVER!

Seattle CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V (sold)

I got to drive the E60 M5 and new M6 at the BMW school in South Carolina last February. Neither car felt like they could get 4.1s to 60mph. There wasn't a whole lot of torque in the lower rpms to get those 4000lbs moving. Once the rpms start climbing you get quite a VTEC-like rush of power. I know, I said VTEC in the same paragraph as M5. That's just how it felt.

04CTSVFLA is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

There are some cases where my GTO feels alot faster than my V...
    according to a few different mags the V is quicker than the gto in the 1/4 mile. I have pulled on several gtos. Got beaten by one with a tune only, and hes an amazing driver - it was from a dig (V's week spot) and I cant lauch the car to well..he has a 6.0 gto, is an amazing driver (12.8 1/4 mile with a tune only)

frip is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Post Re: M5 Vs rest

The previous M5 could manage 4.9/5.0 seconds, and if you tried that a few times the clutch didn't like it, to get to 4.1 seconds in a heavier car (the new M5) would call for more than 100 extra hp, given the old car and new car have the same size engine.

On the subject of torque it was interesting watching Clarkson on Top Gear wind out the Corvette Z06 to 150 mph in top gear from a standstill, that car has torque!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.