Hyundai Genesis - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Hyundai Genesis in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; To give you an idea as to how good of a deal this car will be to compare it to ...
    Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

Re: Hyundai Genesis

To give you an idea as to how good of a deal this car will be to compare it to a Benz (since you wanted to compare the two.) The cheapest you can get into a Benz sedan with 300+ hp is with an E550 which starts out at $59,775

EDIT: After building my own E550 with similar options to the Hyundai it would cost me $69,232

parexa is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

You work in a Hyundai dealership right. lol

Anyway lets see when the car actually comes out, I havent even seen the interior pics yet. The exterior looks terrific and the car is so affordable which is unbelieveable. Its gonna be a popular car for sure!

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

I wonder if this car will suffer the same lack of sales as the VW Phaeton due to the lack of a luxury badge on a luxury car???
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792 View Post
    I wonder if this car will suffer the same lack of sales as the VW Phaeton due to the lack of a luxury badge on a luxury car???
    I'm sure it will. Look at the Hyundais you see on the road now, all driven by 23-year old women, missing trim pieces and hubcaps. As great of a car this Genesis might be, it's still got public perception fighting it. Even if people recognize the leaps and bounds Hyundai has made regarding quality over the last decade, people are still gonna think of Hyundais as econoboxes. It's going to be hard for Hyundai to promote any sort luxury vehicle under the name of Hyundai.

Wiseguy2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS and a bunch of BMWs

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    Not considering a vehicle like this because it's a Hyundai is like not considering Miss America because she was a nerd as a child...
    Yep, but people will. It's Human nature. The Phaeton is a great car, but it sold about as well as Heroin at a Monastery. Hyundai is doing quite well here and very rapidly improving their image, but even Toyota can't sell a luxury car that says Toyota on it, that's why they created Lexus and dropped the Cressida. Heck, why did GM drop the Omega (Catera) and not replace it? Because no matter how good it may have been (It wasn't competitive anymore.. but that's not the only reason) people aren't going to buy a Luxury car with a proletariat badge on it.

Quote Originally Posted by parexa View Post
    And I'm not talking about changing badges here. I'm saying that although a blown camaro is faster than a lambo, I still want lambo. The fact that most hyundais are little shopping carts with 13 inch rims and a engine smaller than a bottle of soda really annoys me and yes people WILL notice its a cheap wannabe mercedes.
    Yes but a Lamborghini does many things better than any Camaro

Absolutely it will. Let's think of a few cars here...

Mazda Millenia
    Mitsubishi Diamante
    Toyota Cressida
    VW Phaeton

And look at a bunch of other cars worldwide...

Fiat Croma
    Vauxhall/Opel Senator and Omega
    Ford Scorpio
    Citroen XM
    Renault 25 (IIRC)
    Honda Legend (Sells/Sold terribly in Europe)

Of those, only the Legend is still sold. Ford, GM, Fiat, Citroen, Renault..etc.. they all killed off their luxury car programs. Peugeot still makes the 607.. it is almost a joke. It's a nice car, but sells basically to French Government bigwigs and, umm... that's about it.

This car is going to have horiffic resale value and be a niche product at best. But I think that Hyundai expects that. They certainly have the capabilities to compete in the market, but they need to create a Luxury Brand to do so.

This is coming from a Former New car dealer. If I had a Hyundai store (And I am kicking myself for not buying one on the cheap in 2000......) I'd not be too excited about this car.

All that being said, it's a nice looking car.. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see glowing reviews on it.

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

I ask myself the same question but at the same time, I wonder if Hyundai feels they can do it better than Toyota, Nissan and Honda did.. If I'm not mistaken, Toyota just came out with BANG! Lexus! And it was better than any Toyota.. Hyundai has been improving slowly over time - and maybe they feel they can be in a better position, financially, without creating a new brand.

Think about it. First the Sonata (looked like a Jaguar). Next came the XG300/350 (unique, luxurious and inexpensive). Then came the Azera - very luxurious, lots of options and again, inexpensive.. Now we're about to see something TWO steps up with a long list of luxurious features, V8 power, RWD and again, inexpensive.. Slowly but surely, people are seeing Hyundai in a different light.

When this Genesis comes along - people aren't going to think of Hyundai as "cheap". That word will change to "Inexpensive" - heated and cooled seats, navigation with backup camera, advanced adaptive cruise control, High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps with adaptive leveling, bluetooth - and the list goes on...

Hyundai will be held in much higher regards than Toyota was when Lexus came around....

Then, the Equus will be coming around. A huge car with even more options, more power (probably forced induction) and probably right on par with the Mercedes S-Class, BMW 7-Series and Lexus LS460.

Will Hyundai lose sales because of the Hyundai badge being on these cars? Yes.. BUT... They'll lose a LOT FEWER sales than Toyota would have had they used the Toyota badge on the LS400...

What I'm saying is, Hyundai may lose sales - but will still sell A LOT -AND- will not have to recover the costs of creating a separate brand... I think this is their plan and it's not a bad one...
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Wiseguy2. We shouldn't compare with Phaeton with anything Hyundai is doing. Hyundai sells all it's cars at Hyundai prices. Volkswagen didn't sell the Phaeton at Volkswagen prices. That's the biggest reason it failed.

If Hyundai was selling the Genesis at Lexus GS and Mercedes E-Class prices, it would fail miserably. However, starting well below $30k makes all the difference...

Comparing them to Mitsubishi and Mazda might make more sense - but like I said in the post above - Hyundai has made drastic improvements - slowly... They're not a red-headed step-child who throws on a blond wig saying, "Look! Here I am!" like the Millenia and Diamante..

Personally, I feel the Azera was more feature-rich and aligned with the competition than the Millenia and Diamante was.. And I feel the Genesis will be the same way.. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the Azera has made a bigger mark on the industry than the Millenia and Diamante did... Correct me if I'm wrong...
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

Well (to me at least) that there are huge differences between the Phateon and the Genesis. VW really didn't have much of a reason to make the Phateon IMO. They already have a luxury division in Audi so I thought it was kinda weird for them to do it but on top of it the car started out over $60k and pricing went over $100k depending on how you option it out. So VW was trying to sell a VW for more then any of the cars in their Audi lineup. Hyundai on the other hand doesn't have a luxury division and with the Genesis having luxury features and Hyundai trying to establish themselves in a more upscale car market shouldn't have a problem with selling this car for under $30k. I mean take a look at the RWD V8 sedan market here in the US. Basically Chrysler/Dodge are your cheapest choices to getting in a RWD sedan and both of them start over $30k and those are for the base models. The cheaper of the two (Charger and 300C) the Charger is the cheaper of the two and if you fully option the car out it costs damn near $36k and it still doesn't even have most of the option the Genesis will have. So basically Hyundai has the ultimae in RWD sedans in their hands. As long as they market the car right and have plenty of advertising for it they should have a huge success in their hands.

MachX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan deVille 4.9L/1994 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L

There's one prime reason Hyundai is able to make such huge advances in their cars. The average korean worker makes a fraction of what a north american worker does. And they get the benefit of selling their cars at american prices. That leaves them with oodles of development dollars. The Kia Amanti is a prime example of a nice two ton luxury cruiser at half the price of a DTS or Town Car. Yes it is V6 powered, but it's still a helluva lot of nice machine for the money. And add in that fat 100k mile/10 year warranty to boot!

omarg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

that new genesis looks sweet. I smell a luxury revolution a la lexus ls400.

hell, i like the azera. I like the conservative look.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.