Cadillac Owners Forum banner

3.6 liter twin turbo Cadillac hybrid engine

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  JimmyH 
#1 ·
So what are people thinking about this? Before this, I only heard of the twin turbo 3.0 liter V6. But now we have turbos attached to a 3.6 liter V6 with hybrid technology. Does anything think this engine will be seen in a production vehicle anytime soon?

#2 ·
Here comes the "No V8, no care" crowd.

I, however, look at this in a different way. This is good for GM and Cadillac, should it come to pass.

1. It'll get decent mileage with the electric assistance.
2. They can strip the electric motors and drop this in the ATS. TT 3.6? Yes.
3. It'll help with CAFE (yeah yeah, here comes "CAFE SUCKS" etc. etc. but too bad, it's here and must be dealt with somehow).
4. It will make mainstream consumers think Cadillac is being tech/environmental savvy. Great for a halo car in today's market, honestly.

#3 ·
Stingroo... like red lights, taxes, and death. Dont like 'em, gotta deal with'em, tho. :) Hybrid 6's are allready selling well for other luxury brands. This is a great engine choice, and the only downside is that GM is a little late to get into the V6Hybrid market. I think Lexus and Mercedes allready have them, tho maybe not in N.America. The caddy flagship will get a V8 at some point. They can have both types of engines, they should have both types.

#4 ·
The 3.6 V6 is a wink wink to the Green groups out in California. I completely agree that Cadillac should provide an economical base engine to salve the narrow minded Green groups. A more appropriate high performance engine should also be available. The eventual 125" Ciel production car will probably weigh in around 4700-5000 pounds (using hi tech metals to limit weight) and will require stout torque numbers to smartly move it. Without performance, the car will suffer customer and media criticism.

Mercedes is already getting well over 500 HP /590 ft. lbs torque at 24 mpg out of the latest AMG 5.5 liter biturbo versions of their high perf engines in their big 'S' class cars. Caddy can do likewise.

#5 ·
I have been saying for a while, every car sold should have a hybrid system. Nothing big mind you, just enough to turn off the gas engine when you are stopped, and move the car on electric only when you are creeping along in parking lots and at stoplights. Think about how much gas we would save if we simply made idling obsolete.

#7 ·
The problem with hybrids, is that for someone like me, who is almost ALL highway cruising, the battery will probably be drained after one commute. Then the next commute will be spent, not only NOT getting hybrid power, but charging the batteries, lowering my efficiency. So a full hybrid does me no good. It's only good for people who do alot of stop and go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.