3.6 liter twin turbo Cadillac hybrid engine
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 6 Post By Stingroo
  • 2 Post By JimmyH
Cadillac Ciel Forum Discussion, 3.6 liter twin turbo Cadillac hybrid engine in Cadillac News, Concepts, Future Models, Rumors and more; So what are people thinking about this? Before this, I only heard of the twin turbo 3.0 liter V6. But ...
    Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

3.6 liter twin turbo Cadillac hybrid engine

So what are people thinking about this? Before this, I only heard of the twin turbo 3.0 liter V6. But now we have turbos attached to a 3.6 liter V6 with hybrid technology. Does anything think this engine will be seen in a production vehicle anytime soon?
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Re: 3.6 liter twin turbo Cadillac hybrid engine

Here comes the "No V8, no care" crowd.

I, however, look at this in a different way. This is good for GM and Cadillac, should it come to pass.

1. It'll get decent mileage with the electric assistance.
    2. They can strip the electric motors and drop this in the ATS. TT 3.6? Yes.
    3. It'll help with CAFE (yeah yeah, here comes "CAFE SUCKS" etc. etc. but too bad, it's here and must be dealt with somehow).
    4. It will make mainstream consumers think Cadillac is being tech/environmental savvy. Great for a halo car in today's market, honestly.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Stingroo... like red lights, taxes, and death. Dont like 'em, gotta deal with'em, tho. Hybrid 6's are allready selling well for other luxury brands. This is a great engine choice, and the only downside is that GM is a little late to get into the V6Hybrid market. I think Lexus and Mercedes allready have them, tho maybe not in N.America. The caddy flagship will get a V8 at some point. They can have both types of engines, they should have both types.

skytop is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldo Rag top

The 3.6 V6 is a wink wink to the Green groups out in California. I completely agree that Cadillac should provide an economical base engine to salve the narrow minded Green groups. A more appropriate high performance engine should also be available. The eventual 125" Ciel production car will probably weigh in around 4700-5000 pounds (using hi tech metals to limit weight) and will require stout torque numbers to smartly move it. Without performance, the car will suffer customer and media criticism.

Mercedes is already getting well over 500 HP /590 ft. lbs torque at 24 mpg out of the latest AMG 5.5 liter biturbo versions of their high perf engines in their big 'S' class cars. Caddy can do likewise.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

I have been saying for a while, every car sold should have a hybrid system. Nothing big mind you, just enough to turn off the gas engine when you are stopped, and move the car on electric only when you are creeping along in parking lots and at stoplights. Think about how much gas we would save if we simply made idling obsolete.
    Stingroo and Stingroo like this.

Cruising in 8th gear is fine for hybrid as well.. Who needs power when you're cruising along at 70 or 80 miles per hour with 500 miles still ahead of you. If and when you smash the gas pedal, the gasoline engine takes over...
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

The problem with hybrids, is that for someone like me, who is almost ALL highway cruising, the battery will probably be drained after one commute. Then the next commute will be spent, not only NOT getting hybrid power, but charging the batteries, lowering my efficiency. So a full hybrid does me no good. It's only good for people who do alot of stop and go.

Doesn't the hybrid battery get charged while you're cruising along at highway speed in 8th gear?

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

"High speed" and "traffic" don't really mix.

I fixed it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    "High speed" and "traffic" don't really mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    Doesn't the hybrid battery get charged while you're cruising along at highway speed in 8th gear?
    If it does, it's using engine power, meaning more gas. One thing I know for sure, energy is not free. I always assumed the batteries charge primarily from regenerative braking.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.