Cadillac Owners Forum banner

RWD V8 Cadillac Premium Luxury Sedan Flagship - 2015-2017

14K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Lord Cadillac 
#1 ·
According to sources familiar with General Motors product planning, the company has fully approved the development of the Cadillac flagship sedan during the past couple of weeks. The program was supposedly working off of a goodwill commitment from the GM board of directors until the final approval had recently became a reality.

Details:

The sedan will ride on a new rear wheel drive program which is internally referred to as "Omega".
The Omega platform will feature extensive use of lightweight materials such as aluminum.
The lead development role resides in GM North America - NOT GM China.
The Omega platform is expected to be a spin-off of the Zeta architecture.
It is currently believed that the new Generation 5 small block V8 will be available at least as an option.
A full hybrid model is currently under consideration

Don't hold your breath or uncross your fingers just yet. This could always turn into another Zeta on again, off again situation...

See less See more
#2 ·
V8 "believed" to be an option...

Whatever.

#8 ·
Any word on how high end they are talking for this? There were some Walmart Bentley rumors going around here.
I would like something more like a Jaguar XJ than a 7 series. So much talk about BMW and I think they are so damn boring looking. The XJ's are fantastic looking and I like (even though I can't afford) the pricing for the different models. 3 engines, 2 wheel bases, many paint options, many interior color options.

#9 ·
Cadillac would love to sell a Bentley at a discount but that's not going to happen. This car is likely going to be uniquely "Cadillac" in style so I wouldn't worry about it being boring. Nobody knows for sure which cars Cadillac is benchmarking for this vehicle - but in my opinion, it'll probably be a little BMW, Audi, Mercedes and Lexus (classic Cadillac - meaning comfortable inside).

#12 ·
I think it's safe to say that this thing will be a big, imposing, expensive, in-your-face Cadillac that is executed at a very high level. This is a car that GM's CEO wants very badly, a no-excuses Standard Of The World Cadillac that ends the conversation about whether Cadillac can ever be the equal of MB et al once and for all. It's the key to what Akerson wants the brand to be. If GM can still muster the capability to make a car that good, this will be that car.

#13 · (Edited)
If GM tries to go after the S-class in the first offering at that level, theyll lose. Its not smart in any way. Stop comparing it to the s-class or A8... Cadillac just needs a big luxury car with high quality levels of everything. Even if its not competitive with the s-class, it can still do very well. It just has to be a complete package. Looking great inside and out, while being very comfortable with lots of lazy V8 power (hopefully a hybrid V8 or a hybrid v6 and a V8 available) and the latest communication software and hardware is whats needed. In fact, Id say all of those are more important then it getting its own hi-tech engines that noone else in GMs lineup uses. Everything that a person sees and touches should be of the highest quality. Even under spec'd, a high quality in every way super-lux sedan will do wonders for Cadillacs rep.

#17 ·
IYO. One I agree with overall, btw. There is no question, tho, that the E63 is 'better' in many ways. The interor uses nicer materials consistently. The CTS makes up for that with a better designed, more attractive looking interior. The E63 has a more advanced powertrain. Again, the CTS-V makes up for that by being the better performer. Where the CTS-V beats the E63,tho, these are just some of the areas the Cadillac will need to beat the s-class. This is much harder then the CTS going after the 5-series segment. I have no problem with GM using the S-class as a benchmark as long as the car meets and exceeds that benchmark in every way. That market is an extremely tough nut to crack, too. Ask Lexus. Right now, Cadillac doesnt have the engine choices. They dont have the technology, the specification that the s-class allready has. They dont have the dealership experience. The entire brand of Cadillac is not ready for a car of this calibre.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.