2015 Cadillac Omega: Full-Size, RWD, Premium Luxury Sedan - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
Cadillac Ciel Forum Discussion, 2015 Cadillac Omega: Full-Size, RWD, Premium Luxury Sedan in Cadillac News, Concepts, Future Models, Rumors and more; So , as of today Harley does make all their bikes in America....
    DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    So , as of today Harley does make all their bikes in America.

DG2
    Cadillacs soon to be top of the line "Cadillac of Cadillacs " should contain the following very powerful statement. Domestic component content 100% Engine -Transmission made in USA

GM executives , consider that a challenge. Build this car to be the " All American" fit the world.

GooseDaPlaymaker is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac CTS 3.6L

Re: 2015 Cadillac Omega: Full-Size, RWD, Premium Luxury Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by DG2 View Post
    Cadillacs soon to be top of the line "Cadillac of Cadillacs " should contain the following very powerful statement. Domestic component content 100% Engine -Transmission made in USA

GM executives , consider that a challenge. Build this car to be the " All American" fit the world.
    You know, a wise old man once told me, "Don't be the only one who cares..."

What is it about Post-Bailout GM that suggests making their Cadillacs "All American" a priority of theirs? I've heard too many times on these forums the term "Government Motors", but at the same time, you EXPECT them to be made exclusively in the US? I respect your allegiance to American-built vehicles, but to EXPECT that from a company that's trying to firmly establish itself as a global name? Not realistic at all...

DG2
    Quote Originally Posted by GooseDaPlaymaker

You know, a wise old man once told me, "Don't be the only one who cares..."

What is it about Post-Bailout GM that suggests making their Cadillacs "All American" a priority of theirs? I've heard too many times on these forums the term "Government Motors", but at the same time, you EXPECT them to be made exclusively in the US? I respect your allegiance to American-built vehicles, but to EXPECT that from a company that's trying to firmly establish itself as a global name? Not realistic at all...
    Actually, my point was only Cadillac. I understand that GM is a global company and needs to have manufacturing capabilities throughout the world. Actually, GM pioneered it over 70 years ago when they acquired Germany's Opel. Brilliant move back then and amazing that they held onto them.

My point and analogy with Harley is that Cadillac is a "all American " brand and perceived that way world wide. Just like Harley-Davidson They are different then any other car brand in that sense ( minus Corvette). That's a very special thing that GM should embrace ,understand and play into by making sure that Cadillac is always 100% Made in USA. That's what people expect when they buy a Cadillac that's it's American. Imagine buying your first $400,000 Ferarri that says " Made in China". You may not buy it because you expect an Italian sports car to be made in Italy !!

So, my point has nothing to do with post bailouts although I personally believe that all American companies should think America first before building the new offshore plant. That's a different topic.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

i believe Vauxhall was GM's first foreign acquisition but Opel wasn't far behind

I understand your point (re: 100% american) but it is just not realistic. China is Cadillac (and GM's) biggest market - they're going to build the Chinese Cadillacs in China. There's no way around that.

Cadillac has never marketed themselves as an "All American" brand - you're putting that label on them. The XTS is made/assembled in Canada, the SRX is (was?) made in Mexico.

GM and Cadillac don't market themselves on being "All American" because that would be dishonest in the same way that Harley is being dishonest with their claims of being 100% American
    just because all the parts are assembled here in the US does not make a Harley 100% American
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

DG2
    Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept
    i believe Vauxhall was GM's first foreign acquisition but Opel wasn't far behind

I understand your point (re: 100% american) but it is just not realistic. China is Cadillac (and GM's) biggest market - they're going to build the Chinese Cadillacs in China. There's no way around that.

Cadillac has never marketed themselves as an "All American" brand - you're putting that label on them. The XTS is made/assembled in Canada, the SRX is (was?) made in Mexico.

GM and Cadillac don't market themselves on being "All American" because that would be dishonest in the same way that Harley is being dishonest with their claims of being 100% American
    just because all the parts are assembled here in the US does not make a Harley 100% American
    You make some good points Rippy but then go back to some bad ones. GM had done a masterful job in China and the Chinese have been outstanding customers in return. With all the Buicks and Cadillacs China buys thus is a tricky one but it's only my opinion. Considering the fact that China is booming GM should be investing more domestically adding American jobs to fill the growing demand. Imagine how many high paying jobs could be created here instead of China ? Need I remind you how many American jobs GM shipped offshore decades ago using the same excuse as "its the way business is done". Nothing political but that formula is the reason our "real" unemployment numbers are 14%. And, not fur anything but considering what happened GM should be going the extra mile and keep those jobs in America and help balance the trade balance which if you don't know is in Chinas favor !

Not sure if you actually own a Cadillac Rippy but I know most Cadillac buyers buy a Cadillac with pride "thinking its made in USA". That is a perception of the brand and if you think it's not your wrong. You also continue to be wrong about Harley Davidson. Either your busting my chops or you really are naive. Harley Davidson motorcycles are 100% made in USA. Yes, they have some components that are not but the majority ( engines-frames-sheet metals -tranny) are all Made in USA by Harley.

Like it or not Cadillac has the same type of American Icon stature. GM should be very proud of that as should any Cadillac owner.

i'm not trying to bust your chops about HD ... i'm just trying to inject some reality in the discussion
    saying it's 100% Made in the USA (but yes some components are not) does not make sense

i do own a Cadillac and it's country of origin was the last thing on my mind when purchasing it

i can understand the outrage people had about the Olympic team uniforms not being Made in the USA
    but that's quite a bit different than an automobile

am I upset about the employment situation in this country, yes
    but forcing a global automotive company to be Made in the USA is not the solution
    GM has 200,000 worldwide employees ... bringing them all back to the US wouldn't come close to putting a dent in the situation
    and it would probably send the company right back to bankruptcy ... they would never sell another car in China due to the 260% import duty

it's just not going to happen ... a product this large/heavy needs to be built relatively close to where it will be sold and used
    (you know, at least on the same continent)

Now if you want to talk about other outsourcing and moving jobs overseas in general (across all industries) has been detrimental to the nation then that's fine with me i'm with you on that. GM's not the problem here though
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

DG2
    I agree that GM is not the problem and never said they should close overseas factories and bring jobs back here. What I intended my point was if GM ( or any manufacture ) is building a brand new factory , to rethink that move and build here.

For me when I bought my BMWs I knew I was buying a German car made in Germany. The appeal of Made in Germany was part of my decision as German precision is the best in the world. Had my BMWs been built in South Korea I would not have purchased those models. If I am buying a German car I want it made in Germany. Ditto an American car. If the C7 Corvette was now made in China or Mexico I would not buy one. Maybe I'm old fashion but that's how I look at it.

First off, no North American market car will be made in China - that's not going to happen, trust me

Secondly, these days BMW markets their vehicles on "German Engineering" not Made in Germany
    that's because many of their vehicles are no longer Made in Germany
    nothing wrong with that if you ask me
    I'd rather BMW make their North American vehicles in North America and not ship them across the Atlantic

Thirdly, the ATS is being built in the same Michigan factory the CTS is built in (on the same production line as a matter of fact)
    they've added shifts and employees in the last couple months (about 1000 jobs added i think)

i get your point (and i'll agree it's old fashioned)

DG2
    Your third point is the best.

DG2
    First off, no North American market car will be made in China - that's not going to happen, trust me

Secondly, these days BMW markets their vehicles on "German Engineering" not Made in Germany
    that's because many of their vehicles are no longer Made in Germany
    nothing wrong with that if you ask me
    I'd rather BMW make their North American vehicles in North America and not ship them across the Atlantic

Thirdly, the ATS is being built in the same Michigan factory the CTS is built in (on the same production line as a matter of fact)
    they've added shifts and employees in the last couple months (about 1000 jobs added i think)

i get your point (and i'll agree it's old fashioned)
    While your thurs point is excellent and I wished they would have kept SRX production in Lansing you fail to recognize or acknowledge that Cadillac is perceived as an "American Brand" that most buyers probably assume are made in USA. Yep , tons of buyers don't care where the product is made but I bet most do.

Most importantly the reason it is sad that list people don't care is to your point. That "the industry does it" get use to it way of the works etc etc. well, I'll end on this note. That's why the United States Olympic team wire "made in China" uniforms. Attitudes like the one your highlighting ( true as they may be) is the reason why 95% of cloths are made overseas mostly by children and slave laborers in China.

Buy American and stand up for it !!!!

DG2
    Sorry for the typos but this damn Chinese made iPhone !

One more point in the "Made in Germany ". If you asked any German they would tell you that having products made in their homeland is utmost important to them. The Germans are extremely loyal to products produced by their countryman. Americans should follow that admirable trait and our Countries problems would be fixed pretty quickly.

the Olympic uniform is different
    that supposed to represent our country officially at a worldwide competition
    a Cadillac does not (and is not supposed to) represent the country

i understand that you associate the two together and i can understand why but GM is a global company that is headquartered and founded in the US
    their vehicles are not meant to represent the countries that they are built in or that the brand is spawned from

very big difference between that and the Olympic uniform situation

i don't really care if Ralph Lauren makes everything in china
    (well i do really and i prefer not to purchase those products)
    but it's a free country and a free market and RL can produce products where ever they want
    and I can choose to buy (or not buy) those products
    but when you send athletes to compete in an international competition such as the Olympics
    it's more than a tad ironic that the uniforms are made by one of the other competitors

so, again... a very big difference between a cadillac that's made in mexico or canada than a US olympic uniform made in china
    very big difference

Quote Originally Posted by DG2 View Post
    Americans should follow that admirable trait and our Countries problems would be fixed pretty quickly.
    i agree, and truthfully i try and make my financial impact as local as possible
    local restaurants that purchase from local farmers
    local grocery co-op
    local corner store instead of the gas station chain store

the thing is... people who think like this are few and far between
    plus - nobody wants to hear: "we should be more like the germans"

DG2

i agree, and truthfully i try and make my financial impact as local as possible
    local restaurants that purchase from local farmers
    local grocery co-op
    local corner store instead of the gas station chain store

the thing is... people who think like this are few and far between
    plus - nobody wants to hear: "we should be more like the germans"
    Trust me, it was painful for me to write that. You are unfortunately correct, if only more Americans thought like this we would all benefit enormously.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.