cleaning the breathers!?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, cleaning the breathers!? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have been reading alot on the Omega forums, just because they have had these cars longer than us and ...
    dpligocki is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera Sport

Talking cleaning the breathers!?

I have been reading alot on the Omega forums, just because they have had these cars longer than us and they are in much more abundance over in europe...

They like them over there, they constantly say if they are maintained right they will go forever and most of them have around 16ok miles now...
    I do believe this especially for the 2000 and 2001s.

Anyways, they were saying that a key step is cleaning the breather system from time to time and this will prevent (most likely) overpressurization and blowing the valve cover gaskets...

I have 30K miles on my 2001 now and I want to clean them... Has anyone done this in North America? I could not find anything in this forum about it!

Thanks for any help!

David!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Re: cleaning the breathers!?

I asked the same question on the Omega Owners Forum and got this explaination. They also have the procedure in their Maintenance Guide section.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

See the black plastic bit on middle of plenum - it has a logo on it? This is a thin cover, flick off (just the cover, not the whole plastic bit, to reveal a screw. Remove this screw, and the 2 you can see on the plastic leading to throttle body. Mark and remove the 4 rubber pipes at back of this plastic bit, then remove the plastic bit and thoroughly clean in with carb cleaner.

Those 4 pipes you removed? The 2 outside ones join and go off to a 'breather box' behind left bank (looking from front) - passenger side for you boys who drive on wrong side Wink. Remove this rubber pipe, and clean with carb cleaner.

One of the little rubber pipes also goes to this breather box, clean this as well. Where it enters breather box, there is a tiny hole. Make sure this is clear - but don't insert a pin too far.

Remove the throttle bodies, and clean with carb cleaner.

Refit is reverse method, renewing any gaskets that are past their best.

Follow the link to their Maintenamce Guide:
    http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1152598350

Elvin

rinverso is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 catera

Thumbs up Re: cleaning the breathers!?

elvin, thanks for the omega owners forum link, thats awesome. i feel like a real newbie. oh yeah, i am.
    thanks again, robert

thanks for the link!

I have been looking for that guide for a long time, I read it is the one to use!

I am going to get my mechanic to do it this spring!

it says every 12 mths but i think i will do it every 3 years because I only drive the car in the summer about 6k miles per year!

Thanks again!

thanks for the link!

I have been looking for that guide for a long time, I read it is the one to use!

I am going to get my mechanic to do it this spring!

it says every 12 mths but i think i will do it every 3 years because I only drive the car in the summer about 6k miles per year!

Thanks again!

newbee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 Catera

Quote Originally Posted by elvin315 View Post
    I asked the same question on the Omega Owners Forum and got this explaination. They also have the procedure in their Maintenance Guide section.

See the black plastic bit on middle of plenum - it has a logo on it? This is a thin cover, flick off (just the cover, not the whole plastic bit, to reveal a screw. Remove this screw, and the 2 you can see on the plastic leading to throttle body. Mark and remove the 4 rubber pipes at back of this plastic bit, then remove the plastic bit and thoroughly clean in with carb cleaner.

Those 4 pipes you removed? The 2 outside ones join and go off to a 'breather box' behind left bank (looking from front) - passenger side for you boys who drive on wrong side Wink. Remove this rubber pipe, and clean with carb cleaner.

One of the little rubber pipes also goes to this breather box, clean this as well. Where it enters breather box, there is a tiny hole. Make sure this is clear - but don't insert a pin too far.

Remove the throttle bodies, and clean with carb cleaner.

Refit is reverse method, renewing any gaskets that are past their best.

Follow the link to their Maintenamce Guide:
    http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1152598350

Elvin
    thanks for the link

Marks DTM Calib is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Vaux Omega (Caterra)

We plan to add pics to the process this weekend.....

I have to also say that generaly we find the Omega reliable from about 1995 onwards.....there were no major changes in 2000/2001 other than styling tweaks....

I like this how-to very detailed and will help!

My only question is: I always thought the plenum had to be removed... but in the how-to i dont think it mentions removing the plenum... is it just implied that it should be done? and if so is this a big job to remove the plenum or not so much?

Thanks again!

Its easier with it removed as it can all be put on the bench and worked on....it can be done without removal though..

Plenum is reasonably easy to remove.

Disconnect the throttle cable (1 small locking clip and rubber bung into the throttle cable mount))
    Disconnect cruise actuator cable (a further clip and cable is mounted using a set of plastic tabs that need to be pressed in to release).
    Idle valve wiring and feed pipe need disconnecting
    EGR feed pipe and mounting bracket bolt need removing (if fitted)
    Inlet trunking jubilee clips need slackening and pipes popping off the throttle bodies
    Remove the 4 bolt cover caps and slacken and remove the plenum bolts
    Disconnect the brake servo vac pipe
    Lift plenum up off locating dowels and ease forward so you can disconnect the rear multiram vac feed and wiring.

That should be it....there might be some additional bits on a Cat to meet local emission laws...

this is excellent help! thanks

what do you reccommend, Removing the plenum or not?

Dave,

I always remove it....its so much easier to clean the bits in the kitchen sink when 'she who must be obeyed' is out...

I'm going to have my mechanic remove it... I will help him, but neither of us have done this before. How long do you think it will take? Is it an easy job for a gm mechanic even tho he has never worked on a Catera before or should I bring it to someone who has worked on a catera before?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.