Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Pics for fog light fix

22K views 29 replies 23 participants last post by  marko69 
#1 ·
I had the issue where my fog lights werent turning on. The light on the dash did not come on either. My brights worked so it wasnt a fuse.

Thanks to this forum, I found the answer and went through the steps. I didnt see any pictures of the process so I took some. I thought I'd post them in case someone wants to try this and needs to see what it looks like.

Also, I just bought my silver '00 sport two days ago and its the best car I have ever owned! Its so nice. Glad to see this forum is full of intelligent people who know what they are talking about. Thanks for the help.

Instructions from member TLARWA
original post: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/75344-fog-light-issue.html?highlight=fog+light

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's the fog light relay, which is a grey, largish plastic box with a plug in connector under the dash. To get to it, you have to remove the panel under the steering wheel, then the black plastic panel behind that, so you can see all the wires and stuff under the dash. The relay is located on the far RHS (driver's side) of the car, and can be twisted off of the frame it's mounted to (it just clips on). Once you have it free, unplug the connector and remove it from the vehicle to look at. Just so you know, you really have to crawl under the dash with a flashlight to see it and get to it. Once it's out, open the plastic case (there's a removable panel on one end) and pull the circuit board out. There are 5 relays (I think) wired on to it. Look for cracked or cold solder joints. Mine had a cold joint which I resoldered, and it fixed the problem. If you aren't that lucky then you'll have to order a new relay. It's a K34 (I think) multi-function relay, and is only available from the dealer (it's an OEM part). Do NOT order what NAPA says is the fog lamp relay, 'cuz it's the wrong one (trust me on this).

Heres the relay box under the dash. Its the grey one:

This is the relay box removed from the car:

Remove the cover:

You have to carefully pry up on this tab at the bottom that clips on to the harness plug as you push it in from the bottom:

Remove the circuit board. The fog light relay is indicated here:

The broken solder point is marked in this photo. You can see how it's jagged and cracked around the edges:

This is the solder point after re-soldering:

It's a very simple process. If you are uncomfortable with soldering, you could bring it to someone who knows how to do it. Hope this helps. Thanks again.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.