oil cooler change NOW!!!!!!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, oil cooler change NOW!!!!!!!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; if you wanna keep your catera change your oil cooler now. i just did my first oil cooler in a ...
    contourbs is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

oil cooler change NOW!!!!!!!!

if you wanna keep your catera change your oil cooler now. i just did my first oil cooler in a 2000 catera and it was justso easy to do then changing the engine in one i did last week because the oil cooler failed. also why is this not recalled. this part fails on all of them, they have redesigned them so they know there is a problem. if i wanted to keep the catera running spend the 225 dollars and change that thing before its too late, or better yet dont and ill keep buying these nice cars for a 1000 dollars or less
    Jaeger63 and Jaeger63 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bK caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac, Catera

Re: oil cooler change NOW!!!!!!!!

every how long do you have to get it change it? do you know?

Kcryan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Tripple Black Allante, RIP 98 catera

never changed mine once on my 98 and it died of tranny failure at 106k..but i agree if your keeping the car, change it, and your coolant often...

once you change it your good, the new ones are so heavy duty compared to the factory

guardian is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by contourbs View Post
    . . . . also why is this not recalled. this part fails on all of them, they have redesigned them so they know there is a problem . . . . . . .
    You make an outstanding point!

I doubt any of us know or understand the inner workings of Cadillac sufficiently well to answer you. But it was decisions like this, these failures to respond properly to Cat design weaknesses, that wrote the epitaph for the mighty Cat.

If the manifestly overpaid execs at GM and at Cadillac had invested half the effort toward FIXING Catera that they did toward running from the problems, there would not be the Ca-tarnish on Cadillac which endures even to this day.

The Cat is one sweet car and was NOT that far away from being a bell ringing winner for Caddy. Their brain-dead leadership stole defeat from the jaws of Catera victory.

but as what i understand isnt the catera motor also in the early year cts.

guardian is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

but as what i understand isnt the catera motor also in the early year cts.
    My CTS knowledge is SCANT. However, I think they bored out and fixed the Cat engine before using it in the CTS.

Is that right, guys??

They told us we were welcome to the engine we deserved. All we had to do was buy an ugly new CTS.

I hate the looks of the CTS. It's sort of a "Bizzaro" Catera.

Or maybe you could call it a Catera "Hulk".

Regardless what you call it, I'm NOT a fan.

Resilient is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 98

Quote Originally Posted by guardian View Post
    If the manifestly overpaid execs at GM and at Cadillac had invested half the effort toward FIXING Catera that they did toward running from the problems, there would not be the Ca-tarnish on Cadillac which endures even to this day.
    I think it may have been more of a problem of parent-partnership car manufacturer... since Opel really made the car, maybe GM just didn't want to spend their own $$ to fix another manufacturers' issues...

Odd thing is the Cat's tend or seem to have more issues than the Opel Omega series..?!? Maybe the rebranding was also a neat way for Opel to get rid of less than stellar editions of the Omega.

I recenlty heard a senior GM exec, talk about the current biggest selling Opel in Europe (I think it's the Corsa)... during the interview someone asked him: when will GM start importing the car for the North American market he said flat out... never. That's not what GM clients want... Then again, the reporter said: then don't question why Toyota (Yaris) Nissan Versa etc, are selling so well... and GM's market shares keep falling. LOL

CateraSport2000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): XX

Opel is sending cars over here....well, sorta. All new Saturns are based on Opels. The new Aura is the Opel Vectra and the upcoming Vue will be based on the Opel Antara. They are doing what they did with the L series, making Opels in America because it's too expensive to make them overseas and import them here with the weak dollar. Unfortunately, quality sometimes suffers and corners are cut when making cars here so I probably won't be shopping at a Saturn dealership anytime soon.

I'm glad my Cat was made in Germany and is a true Opel... too bad they had some bad design flaws... most of which center around the British made engine. Gotta love that British quality!

Jeff

Resilient is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 98

Quote Originally Posted by CateraSport2000 View Post
    I'm glad my Cat was made in Germany and is a true Opel...
    Agreed, same here... the real reason I ended buying my Cat...

caterashaker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Are you talking abouth the , "heat exchanger," that is mentioned and pictured in the Catera Coolant Leak Sticky by ewil3rd?

wamanning is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 catera sport...w/ some minor customizations

Question what is the part# for the new/improved heat-exchanger/oil-cooler?

if you wanna keep your catera change your oil cooler now. i just did my first oil cooler in a 2000 catera and it was justso easy to do then changing the engine in one i did last week because the oil cooler failed. also why is this not recalled. this part fails on all of them, they have redesigned them so they know there is a problem. if i wanted to keep the catera running spend the 225 dollars and change that thing before its too late, or better yet dont and ill keep buying these nice cars for a 1000 dollars or less
    if i do this, i wanna be sure i get the right part.

yes heat exchanger, oil cooler whatever you wanna call it

wamanning is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 catera sport...w/ some minor customizations

Smile Re: oil cooler change NOW!!!!!!!!

yes heat exchanger, oil cooler whatever you wanna call it
    how about that part# for the updated stuff?!

all the coolers you buy now are the updated ones

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.