Update on INTRAX Lowering Springs, Front and Rear Camber Kit, Rotors... IT WORKS! :o)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Update on INTRAX Lowering Springs, Front and Rear Camber Kit, Rotors... IT WORKS! :o) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well, I didn't find any evidence that it was done before to Catera in the US. Not much info was ...
    netager is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Talking Update on INTRAX Lowering Springs, Front and Rear Camber Kit, Rotors... IT WORKS! :o)

Well, I didn't find any evidence that it was done before to Catera in the US. Not much info was around. This forum or yahoo group were not really helpful with info only with support Thanks aldi for some useful links - Germany is much more advanced in modifying Omega B

Now we have lowered catera on Intrax progressive springs with 1.6/1.4 drop front (that's easy) and rear(!) camber kits.

It wasn't a rocket science but nobody did this before. But it was and adventure - I spent the whole weekend under the car with to jacks and not that much tools.

Catera is Omega based, so the Holden Commondor is - I ordered a kit for Commondor with IRS (Independent Rear Suspension) from Australia. It fits!

If somebody interested I'll post walk thru how to DIY. But I'll not advise to try this at home

Only one thing left: to modify leveling system link to make it think it is level. System still works fine but need to shorten the link or to relocate mounting bracket on the suspension control arm...

Before:

After:

Sorry that it's dirty. I'll make better pictures soon.

I'll report about iPod integration soon, too. Catera thinks it got CD changer. He-he...

Custom mesh grill is coming soon, too... Thinking of Remus exhaust...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Vesicant is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None :(

Re: Update on INTRAX Lowering Springs, Front and Rear Camber Kit, Rotors... IT WORKS! :o)

Wow since no one replied...

I must say that looks great the way its dropped, really tucks the 17's in and gives the Catera a great stance

Noticed the tinted tails - not bad.

Hows the ride quality now?

and if you dont mind me asking, the kit... what site did you purchase it all from? Im contemplating doing this and getting a set of Koni's from tirerack.

Re: Update on INTRAX Lowering Springs, Front and Rear Camber Kit, Rotors... IT WORKS! :o)

Thanks for your comments

I really like how the front looks - the good gap is one finger gap

The rear... Well... It was lower before alignment was done but I think it looks better right now... But I don't like how the rim looks - it will look better with different rim (deep dish), different offset or with spacers. But it defenetly looks different

I wanted it to look different and I do the same mods if I had BMW or MB. But the hardest thing is stop in right moment so it will not look ricey

Taillight tinted with smoke film from stickercity.com. It is hard to put it on that kind of taillights - a lot of curves on the edges.

I already ordered VHT Nite Shades paint but don't know if I'll go with it or stay with the film.

The ride quality is OK. Handles better in the curve, less body roll. But you can fill more details from the road. It's not stiffer - it's more detailed All this in comparison to Catera Sport. Maybe got a little jumpy on the waves... You know those waves when the bridge connect to the road? Not joints, waves...

I'm looking to replace shocks too... Soon... I guess I'll go with Monroe at the rear - I want to keep leveling system functional... In front - Koni or KYB...

The INTRAX part number is 251001 I think... I'll check later... Another company who makes springs for Catera is VOGTLAND - but it drops less.

Front camber was bought as INTRAX but marked as SPC - plenty of them around - it just an eccentric bolt that replaces one in the upper hole on the strut.

Rear camber kit as I told from Australian eBay.

SuperPro Urethane Part No. SPF877K

It was around $180 I think with shipping, so it's almost three times cheaper then the one from Europe.

Here is the one I got - the seller was very helpful and friendly - two thumbs up to "nrap"

Here is the same kit.

There are othe kits on the Auctralian market but this one fits perfect and it's easy (relatively) to install it. You'll understand when I get all the info together about installation process. Sorry, that I didn't make pics - but I worked alone on the car and I don't like to handle elctronics with greasy hands

If you have more questions - I'll answer with pleasure

We are here to share and exchange info, so no secrets.

PS Please, excuse my English, grammar, etc.

todd2fst4u is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera

looks nice. i want to do something like this to my '98 sometime.

Resilient is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 98

netager... nice job... I would be interested in a DIY. Well at leats enough info to have it done by my mechanic (I agree that a DIY job at home, in my case in a gravel driveway... is not a good idea).

heavycat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera

The drop looks awesome. I've been looking at purchasing those intrax springs for months now. I was really waiting for someone to do it, so I could see the outcome. I got to hand it to you for doing right.
    So all I would need to do it is the Spring Set and a rear camber kit. does the front camber kit come with the springs or was that also purchased seperatly.

Guys, thanks for positive comments

JefferyG, if you decide to do this on some weekend and you need a hand - let me know - Jacksonville is only 2-2,5 hours from me.

Resilient, I'll try to make some time (i'm really behind all schedules in my life ) to compile a PDF on weekend with DIY directions and some pictures.

heavycat, front camber kit was purcahsed seperatly - it is around $30 shipped.

I will not recommend DIY, but it's possible if you have some tools. I'll try to list all the stuff I used in PDF later... Having access to the lift is strongly recommended. My age and body type allows to spend a weekend under the car turning some nuts and bolts - it's not much fun but results are very satisfying

aldi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega Wagon MV6

The front camber Kit is not neccesary. The camber at the front wheels is adjustable with the 2 srews, the damper is mounted to the control arm.

aldi, you are probably right. It might have enough factory adjustment to set camber in front. I got it just in case if it won't

cateraowners is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hmmm netager....I may need to get into this subject in greater detail than we have prior over at CateraOwners...very useful info here...and I congratulate you for chasing it - I did the front end issue some years back. I have a 2001 Sport that I don't care about lowering, but the negative camber is out of spec and I am eating up tires. I appears the kit you bought replaces the rear control arm bushings with adjustable units? And how did you deal with the suspension leveling issue? Thanks for the info. If you can reply to cateraowners@yahoo.com as well, most appreciated.

cateraowners, thank you for your comments
    You are right: kit replaces both inner and outer bushings with the adjustable units. Inner and outer bushings have different diameter metal inserts - other then that they are identical.
    The suspension leveling was easier than it looks. Probably there is an option to recalibrate the sensor with GM scanner, but I just turned the bracket that attaches link to the control arm and bended it to give the link some clearance. Also I punched some bumps around the hole on the bracket with the nail to make sure it will not spin. To adjust I put the car on the lift that supports the wheels of the car (the one they use for alighnment in tire shops) and moved the link all the way so the car will drop as much as possible, then started to move opposite side until it will start lifting the a little back again and secured the nut. Also I before messing with it I measured the distance from the hole on the sensors arm to the body and the frame of the car above it just to chack later if I adjusted it right.
    Here some pics:

Why I liked the kit that I've got and the most important tip:

If you check the shop manual it says that you have to drop rear subframe to remove control arm because you can't take the bolt from the outer bushing - it will not go all the way out because there is no enough clearance from the control arm mount to the body of the car. I just took it out as much as possible and cut with sawzal and took the rest out. The kit uses two bolt on each bushing and they are just short enough to fit without dropping the subframe. You need special alignment tool to put the subframe back correctly so I didn't mess with it - not all dealerships have that tool...

Let me know if you need more info

bK caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac, Catera

you said something about Custom mesh grill!
    where did you buy it from? i been looking for one for a while now

ps it looks good

Kcryan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Tripple Black Allante, RIP 98 catera

Looks real real good, nice work

I got busy with my other projects right now and it's getting chilly to work on the car, so I didn't finish the grill yet. It need just the paint. I mean it's really custom-hand-made from old Catera grill. Another problem that I couldn't make any mounts for the top of the grill, so I wanted to attach with the 3M compound used to install auto glass. But I put it on hold for now because I liked this one. Sadly, nobody wants to ship it directly to USA from Germany. One of the guys on this board got this one - it's OK but not what I was looking for.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Re: Update on INTRAX Lowering Springs, Front and Rear Camber Kit, Rotors... IT WORKS!

Quote Originally Posted by netager View Post
    I got busy with my other projects right now and it's getting chilly to work on the car, so I didn't finish the grill yet. It need just the paint. I mean it's really custom-hand-made from old Catera grill. Another problem that I couldn't make any mounts for the top of the grill, so I wanted to attach with the 3M compound used to install auto glass. But I put it on hold for now because I liked this one. Sadly, nobody wants to ship it directly to USA from Germany. One of the guys on this board got this one - it's OK but not what I was looking for.
    I have a 2001 Catera Sport and I was asking for info regarding lowering springs and the Sport. I was steered to your thread and found exactly what I was looking for. Your car's a beauty. My plans are similar to yours. Springs, shocks, alignment bolts, the works. Any info you can provide will be a tremendous help.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...g-springs.html

Thanks,
    Elvin

PS: Ask this guy if he can get that grille for you. He's in Germany and wants to start an export company shipping Euro Omega goodies to us unfortunate Americans.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...s-germany.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.