Leveling Light Flashing
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Leveling Light Flashing in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; How serious of a problem is this? It only flashes when I have 3 riders or a big load in ...
    Hoosier is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Leveling Light Flashing

How serious of a problem is this? It only flashes when I have 3 riders or a big load in the trunk/back seat.

Also, the check engine light came on the same time the leveling light was flashing. Could these be related?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wamanning is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 catera sport...w/ some minor customizations

Re: Leveling Light Flashing

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    How serious of a problem is this? It only flashes when I have 3 riders or a big load in the trunk/back seat.
    it's not a problem, the flashing means the compressor is working to level out your car.

think about it: if you've got a bunch of people on board, it'll flash more than if it's just yourself.

But is it normal to be flashing for long periods of time? It was flashing for at least 45 minutes.

Thanks

Cat-a-Tonic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera

I had that same problem, the compressor will run untill the leveling sensor located at the rearend, sees that the car is leveled out and shuts off the compressor. I had a leak in the air lift component of the right rear shock, so the car never got back to level. BUT there is a timer that should trip the compressor after 2.5 minutes if there's an air leak or the compressor is defective. Also if relay K19 is not energizing or the contacts to the compressor are not closing, you'll get the leveling warning light.
    So check the compressor by putting 300 lbs ( a couple of your friends or maybe not so much friends,) in the trunk. start the car. after about 25 seconds check the compressor ,located ahead of the right front wheel, and see if it runs. If you need more help, I'll type some more.

good luck.

Jerry O

mrman88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS & Catera

Thats incorrect. The leveling light flashes when there is a problem with the system. When working properly it should just be steadily lit.

scott65 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

thats correct if the system is working properly the light will steadily illuminate when the ignition system is turned on for a brief moment to indicate that the bulb in the cluster is still good then it will go out. It should illuminate steadily as the leveling system is operating but if it every startsflashing that indicates the body control module has sensed a problem in the system and has set a trouble code.

OK. so for Hoosier's piece of mind; The leveling light comes on when ignition first turned on, as a lamp test. Then it goes out. IF leveling is required the leveling light comes on steady. IF the system can't level the car after 2.5 minutes the compressor shuts off and the leveling indicator on the dash flashes constantly and records a fault code.
    Peace??

Sounds like another trip to the Caddy dealer....

R-Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2 1997 Cateras: black&ocean green

Hey guys. One of my rear shocks blew completely, so for the last couple weeks I've been driving on one shock... Anyway, I have a rear suspension comversion kit coming tomorrow. I am gettin coilover shocks instead of the self-leveling suspension. Goodbye automatic leveling system and LEVELING light... Hello regular shocks...

Hoosier!! Not so fast. Did you find anything wrong with the rear shocks? Did you try jacking up the body to see if the compressor shut off. It only cares if the sensor thinks it's level. Did you look underneath the car at the rearend to see if the sensor's linkages are connected to the body & axle? There's lots you can do to narrow down the problem. It could be as simple as a disconnected air line at the compressor or one of the shocks. Anybody can change out the rear shocks and they're not that expensive.

Yeah, had enough of that system already. I've played with it and tried just about everything. By the way, it's only one side that's out, so the ride quality, khem khem... Leveling wasn't working since I got the car 2 years ago. Needs automatic leveling control sensor, est. $500. Been to the dealer. Cheaper (and I will probably enjoy it better) getting the conversion kit. It's suppose to see my door tomorrow, and the back of my car hopefully Friday Keeping my fingers crossed... Oh, did I mention the Lifetime warranty? Never have to buy shocks again!

I'm thinking about taking it to the local suspension/tire place in town. I'm sure it will be a lot cheaper. I'll keep you updated.

Installed the new shocks in the rear yesterday No more LEVELING suspension!!! The ride is awesome, much stiffer and more stable- just the way I wanted it. If anyone need info, just let me know

newbee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 Catera

I was thinking about a performance air ride set up. Pretty stiff handling and then i can set the car on the ground when im parked. good or bad idea?

dgarri11 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

R Caddy

What type/brand of shocks did you purchase, and where? What did they cost you? Difficult or easy to install? My compressor is seized-up and a replacement compressor is anywhere from $400 to $700. If I can get away with new shocks in the rear, I'm in!

1999 TN Catera Owner

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.