98 Catera Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement - Cranks Won't Start - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 98 Catera Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement - Cranks Won't Start in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; After having the car sit for almost 9 months because I just couldn't look at it anymore (because it just ...
    CANCAT1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: 98 Catera Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement - Cranks Won't Start

After having the car sit for almost 9 months because I just couldn't look at it anymore (because it just wouldn't keep running once operating temp was reached). I decided to go out and purchase a CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor), paid $110 CAD for it, they had lots in stock because they said it was a common problem. I took almost 4 hours from start to finish, but ya baby! It has been running, and running and running without a hitch now for the past month. When I pulled the old one out, the wires had been pinched in the heat shield, when it got too hot everything expanded and shorted the sensor, causing the car to shut down. Re-routed the new one around the problem area, and kaabam! Life is good again. Once I purchased the CPS, that is finally when I got some answers from the dealership on the problem, not before, go figure, if they figure you actually may know the problem already, they are willing to help, otherwise, they will let you squirm and pay big bucks on diagnostics!!! Not very nice I would say, would you?

Matera97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Catera (Ocean)

Yeah, so after running beautifully for over a year, that damn CPS goes on me...A bullet that I though I was going to be able to dodge reared its ugly head. lol. I guess my suspension upgrade will have to be put on the back burner. So the Cat will be sitting for the next couple of days while I wait for GM to bring the part in $85 is not bad. I may try napa to see if I can get it sooner. So for anyone thats done this themselves. Is it easier to access the sensor from the side or sliding under from the front?

Okay, so the CPS is in and tha Cat is purring. Owe it all to you guys, thanks a bunch!

slowcalafl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Deville, Catera

Ok I have a similar problem except that i am getting intermittent spark. The car starts for 1-4 seconds and dies no spark. I have replaced the crank sensor and have no change in symptoms. Help please GOING CRAZY

I'm not 100% sure but I've heard Cam Shaft Sensor has similar symptoms. Only thing is, the sensor is 3 times the price of the Crank PS

slowcalafl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Deville, Catera

Problem solved for catera. original problem was it would start for about 2 seconds and then die with no spark. problem was traced to transponder in key used spare key and problem solved

calicago is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Hi guy's look I did all of that new cps new fuel pump nothing crank and crank no start and no fuel in EVAP could it be the relays Or the computer or shut off vavle I don't know where to begin or how HELP !!!

stephenH is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): catera

Red face Re: 98 Catera Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement - Cranks Won't Start

please Help I own a 99 catera ran great for 4 yrs but one day stopped at a store turned off when i cam out tried to start it back nada even when cold.. had a verry miner miss min. befor i stoped tho..ran ODB 2 on it last code was is Bank1 cyl. 1 Cam sensor error ..code right befor that was cyl 3 misfire..nada about the crank sensor tho.. have all ready had to replace valve cover gasgets $62.00 autozone not to hard...other mancanic said it would run with a bad cam sensor is this right???
    it has fire at the plugs/coils and is getting gas injectors are working
    He said it sounds like the intake mainafold Temp sensor Ty. with 98 up GM's sence i was getting fire at the coil pack's which the crank sensor controls the fire and gas. does it?
    but it dident give that code..he said if it is way outa range it would make the timming to far advanced TO HOT or de advance TO cold to start. is this right?? could the intake Temp sensor advance the timming so far to cause the cam sensor make a code??? and the car not start at all..
    The Cam sensor is 133.00 us please help..

AwfulSmokey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Catera

Quote Originally Posted by stephenH View Post
    please Help I own a 99 catera ran great for 4 yrs but one day stopped at a store turned off when i cam out tried to start it back nada even when cold.. had a verry miner miss min. befor i stoped tho..ran ODB 2 on it last code was is Bank1 cyl. 1 Cam sensor error ..code right befor that was cyl 3 misfire..nada about the crank sensor tho.. have all ready had to replace valve cover gasgets $62.00 autozone not to hard...other mancanic said it would run with a bad cam sensor is this right???
    it has fire at the plugs/coils and is getting gas injectors are working
    He said it sounds like the intake mainafold Temp sensor Ty. with 98 up GM's sence i was getting fire at the coil pack's which the crank sensor controls the fire and gas. does it?
    but it dident give that code..he said if it is way outa range it would make the timming to far advanced TO HOT or de advance TO cold to start. is this right?? could the intake Temp sensor advance the timming so far to cause the cam sensor make a code??? and the car not start at all..
    The Cam sensor is 133.00 us please help..
    I would try starting a new post. You posted this to an old CPS thread. It could get lost in here.

JJGREER is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

I see my man Sirqmc is still pressing that stick teknique. Although it's a wonderful job with the pics an all. I'm goin to give you the sweet an dirty on that lil booger. Not sure but I think I posted this before. Anyway skip all the whoo haa an go center back of the engine, find the CPS conector, if you've got the new one in hand then you'll know which one it is. Disconnect it, jack up driver side of car enough to get under it, (always use jack stands under a car, SAFETY 1ST) Find the CPS just foward of the tranny in the housing (2 screws). Go back up top with your wires insulated with a heat sheild type of insulator connect it to the plug, drop it straight down the driver side of the engine it's going to come close to the exhaust pipe but try to run it where it won't be as close. Go back under the car plug in the CPS and you're done.
    I like pretty too but I could never figure out how he got the stick through that ness of wires an such. 1 hour and done Lets roll

green4life is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Okay it's now Aug 2010 and the 98 Cat has died 3 times in the Bama heat, going to swap out the CPS and we shall see what happens. Going to get the part now.

Edit: Got the Part from Advance, It is a BOSCH part which was a relief. So now i have worked through removal of wipers and the air duct thing. i can find the plug end of the CPS, but the business end...the sensor end is WAAAY down back behind the motor. and all those hoses and tubes. late now. Gonna let some sunlight help me in the morning.

Edit: Now Sat Morning, car up on stands, found and removed the old sensor (7mm hex wrench) , Just like he said go in behind the left front tire and it's an arms reach. Came back inside to give one last look at this routing this. The manifold is right there so avoiding that seems to make sense.

Edit: There is a long way betweenthe bottom of the engine and the top esp when looking from under the car on your back. I got the sensor installed but routing the wire and connector to the top is a challenge. keep losing landmarks. finally got the plug and wire routed, but this may be temporary installation due to proximity to exhaust manifold shroud, etc.

final edit for the day: got in plugged in and installed....turned over but no fire. gonna have to think this one through. Time to mow the lawn.

i ran a code reader and got the CPS code. CLeared the codes and got it again. Crank Position Sensor "A" circuit. i am going to reinstall this one.

Ok so it's now Mid October. WHen It wouldn't fire on cranking, i had it towed to the shop and explained where I had it in the repair process. The mechanic actually called me, (Glad I had 5 yrs of Spanish) and we had a good conversation about my removing the CPS and installing the new one. (including the 7mm wrench on the actual sensor). He called me back in a few hours and said "It's ready" I had connected the "old sensor" into the Harness, since i couldn't get it out. He swapped connected the new one and it cranked right up.

Zimm42 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I am excited that I found this thread! It's encouraging to hear many of you completed this successfully. I'll be tackling this tomorrow and hopefully my 99 Catera will start right back up! Of course I have to recharge the battery as well, since I cranked and cranked away trying to figure out what the deal was...

Doctur J is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac Catera

Hello Sirmqc: I had the same problem with my Catera stopping on me after driving a couple of miles when it got hot. Know what I discovered? I first put a new fuel filter on it and thought that would solve the problem. WRONG! It started, but I looked at my exhaust and WATER was coming out like a faucet! I thought moisture was in the fuel and it shut off again in idle after 10 minutes of running. I took off the top gray manifold cover to install a [B]new fuel pressure regulator, which is located behind the manifold cover. I was a chore, but I also discovered that the fuel pressure regulator had a vacuum tube attached to it, which was broken off. A secret-just sit the manifold back on the mount without putting the screws back in it, start the car and notice how much pressure the air intake provides-you cannot lift the manifold cover up! With that, I knew a lot of cold air was getting into the system through this vacuum hose attached to the FPR causing condensation in the fuel.

I went to Auto Zone and got a rubber vacuum line and attached it to the new FPR (fuel pressure regulator) . Then in the front of the gray manifold cover underneath was a something that looked like it should be attached to the front of the vacuum line and attached the line to it. Also near the 4 vaccum line tree on the manifold cover, there was an open vacuum line. I went back to Auto Zone, bought a kit which includes the white plastic vacuum supports and some end covers. I put one of the plastic vacuum pieces into the open vacuum line and capped it off. VOILA! The car started and did not shut off after 15 minutes of idle. With that I took it around the block a couple of times and then took it out to the expressway and ran it up to 110 m.p.h.! It was great!
    For those of you that have experienced this, DO NOT consider a new fuel pump until you try a les expensive alternative FIRST! I'm a happy camper knowing I did not have to come out of my pocket over $75.00. I did purchase the crankcase position sensor, but I will put it on later. That way I'll have the new parts on! Thank you for your suggetion-it taught me plenty!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.