98 Catera Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement - Cranks Won't Start - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 98 Catera Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement - Cranks Won't Start in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Thanks to SIRMQC for the post on the crankshaft position sensor, his sage advise just saved me $1400. Own a ...
    rwhallum is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Smile Re: 98 Catera Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement - Cranks Won't Start

Thanks to SIRMQC for the post on the crankshaft position sensor, his sage advise just saved me $1400. Own a 2001 Catera with 60+K miles. I've been through all the horror stories of buying new tires every 6 months because of uneven tire wear, $4500 to fix the AC and others. It got to the point that I was telling the Cadillac folks what the problems were. Anyway the other day I'm driving down the interstate at 70+ when the car dies. Had it towed to the local shop and they thought it was a fuel pump relay. Car ran for about 45 minutes then quite. They gave up so had it towed to Cadillac dealership. Prognosis was bad fuel pump, $1400 dollars to replace. I read SIRMQCs post and gambeled it was the CPS and replaced it myself. Drove the car today and it appears fine. It is an easy fix as long as you don't try to route it behind the oil cooler lines which is what I believe causes this problem to begin with. I followed the advise of others and tied it off away from the exhaust manifold and just cut the connector off one end of the old one and pulled it out.
    Kwolfel and Kwolfel like this.

elvin315 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Re: 98 Catera Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement - Cranks Won't Start

Thought I would add my story to this thread as way of saying thanks. The information here solved my problem.

Well, it finally happened to me. I have never been afraid to jump in my Cat and ripoff a 400 mile day. Now I'm not so confident. Last night I went out for a bite and she dies while backing out of the parking spot. When I started her in the garage she stalled. I thought I just hadn't kept the starter on long enough. The engine caught quickly the second time and off we went. There were a few stops before the diner and she started fine each time.

When she did die there was no CEL but the Sport light (s inside a cog) was flashing. I have a ScanGauge installed and immediately checked for codes. There were none. Still, from hanging out here and learning, I'm sure it was the CPS. The engine would crank strongly. I replaced the battery 2 months ago for an unrelated reason so I'm sure it wasn't that. I pushed the car back into the spot and checked under the hood for anything obvious. Not knowing which cable was the CPS I wiggled as many as I could. After 15 minutes I tried again and she fired right up. The Sport light was still flashing.

Not wanting to tempt fate and try a restart I headed for home. The transmission was in limp-home mode and engaged only 3rd & 4th gears. Highway performance was normal. Once back in my garage I shut her off and back on again. The engine started fine, this time with no flashing Sport light. I took a lap around the neighborhood and everything was back to normal. I'll have my local mechanic change it. I know it's an easy job but it's too cold for me to lay on an unheated garage's floor. I'm due for a car inspection and oil change. The sensor mounts next to the oil filter so while the car is up on the lift he can change it easily.

I hope my snap diagnosis is correct but I'll be renewing my AAA membership just in case. One more thing. As I checked old posts for CPS info I found a reference to the Fuel Cap Alarm being related to the CPS. I have been seeing the FCA intermittently for at least 6 months. I can't say for sure but if you get the Fuel Cap Alarm it could be a warning sign of a future CPS failure.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ing-light.html

UPDATE:

I wanted to put an ending to this story. I just finished an 900 mile weekend with my new Crankshaft Position Sensor and the engine never skipped a beat. It started every time. No stalling. No codes. Nothing. Thanks to the information here I was able to save myself the frustration of dealing with clueless service techs. I ordered the part, handed it to the service manager, they installed it, and that was that. I was a little nervous during the first 30 miles of test drives before the weekend trip but after that I stopped staring at the gauges. Except for the speeding ticket I got (81 in a 65 zone) it was an uneventful trip.

It just turned 68,000 miles this weekend. After rooting around the engine and tracing the CPS cable I don't think the sensor actually wears out. It's the cable itself that's the problem. It passes very close to the left hand exhaust pipe and the oil cooler lines. I think the heat damages the sheathing (either melts it or cracks it) and shorts the sensor leads. I forgot to ask for the old part so I don't know which. Even though the cable has heat shielding, the farther away from the those heat sources the better.

GM/ACDelco PN= 90494182
    BOSCH PN= 0261210

Elvin

sfife is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Catera Sport

Thumbs up Re: 98 Catera Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement - Cranks Won't Start

My 2001 sport just had similar symptoms, cranks but doesn't catch.
    Took it to my local Caddie dealer, told them I wanted the CPS replaced and the cable rerouted.
    CPS & cable cost (cdn)$ 76.95 and labor to install $204.00
    Car is back to running brilliantly.....
    Many thanks!

Joe Dill is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Can I disconnect the CPS at the connection junction, spin the engine, and check for a reading with a volt meter to determine if the CPS is working or not without removing it from the engine?

Regards,

Joe Dill

sirmqc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera

I'm not certain, but I don't think so. From what I understand - the CPS sensor detects one section of the crank shaft as it rotates. Each time this section rotates past the sensor, it sends a signal. So as you crank, the signal will go on and off. I'm not sure if your voltmeter will be quick enough to pick this up.

BUT... no reason not to give it a try. If you suspect thats the problem, you'll have to get to the connector anyway to change it - you might as well take 5 minutes to try this before you change it out.

lee van dam is offline Cadillac Owners Member

A short while back someone posted about a cps problem and about buying one for a real good price, do anyone know where this might be, I ,mean the store or the parts dept. I would like to locate one for my 01.
    Thanks.... Lee

elvin315 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

GM/ACDelco PN= 90494182

RockAuto.com...................$27
    GMPartsDirect.com.............$26

Elvin

lee van dam is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hey there.... I am going to replace the heater valve on my 01 and wonder if it would be a good time to also replace the crankshaft sensor at the same time, Mine is Ok car is fine, but I have been heariang so much about the sensor I feel it might be a precaution to replace it while I am under the hood

So where is it located and is it a hard job ( for a shade tree teck.) so someone please advise... thank you.... Lee ( need the info asap. thanks )again

Texas Frank is offline Cadillac Owners Member

This is an extremely well designed/built car from an engineering stand point. Most likely the German Opel side of Cadillac which did the building that you object to and or take issue with. Unfortunately most dealerships failed to train their employees as they do overseas to work on a Catera.

CANCAT1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a 97, I feel they are a well built car, but of course you definitely have to take care of them (just as any vehicle). Unfortunately, I bought mine 4 years ago for $13,000, 3 months after purchase, oil pump failure caused a $8,000 (used) engine to be installed. They wanted $12,000 to (try) and rebuild the old (rediculous!). Once installed, has been great until a month ago. Same symptoms, running along nicely, then dies with no warning. Sit on the side of the road, let it cool, fires right up, drive until good operating temperature, dies again. Frustrating to say the least. I thought it may be some type of temperature sensor for the fan because it seemed to die just before (or maybe just exactly when) the fan was to turn on to cool.

Now that I see that others are having the same problem with the CPS, I will try that first. I will post my findings.

p.s. Does everyone else have the same issues with the Cadillac dealers?
    You know, they don't seem to want to help you out with your Catera?
    They almost look disgusted when you mention the name. And, what is worse, I find that GM should be ashamed of the rates associated with Cadillacs. Obviously they think that if you own a Cadillac, you must be made of money. I end up doing everything myself because I can not justify the costs they want to fix, or even guess what your problem is. Ok, i'm going, just getting angry again.
    Kwolfel and Kwolfel like this.

normalicy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

Another Cadillac repaird due to this post. My Catera went quick. It only hard started a couple times & then just quit starting. Something popped into my head that reminded me of this post. I re-read it & sure enough, that's what I was having. No amount of waiting or jiggling wires helped. Searched around & sure enough, O'Reilly auto parts was the only place that had it in stock locally & had the best price to boot ($39.99).

I suspect that I could have done this without removing the wipers & cowl, but it did make it much easier to see what was going on.

For those who aren't aware, the actual sensor is located just below the oil filter (under the car). This post is mostly dealing with where the connector end is (on top of the engine by the four vaccume hoses that exit the rear of the intake). If you were quick, I would say that it wouldn't take more than 1/2 an hour to 1 hour to do this. I just unsnapped the connector, unscrewed the sensor (make sure you have a torx socket) & pulled from the sensor end. The connector pulled all the way down with a few minor snaggs. Also, the "screws" under the rubber molding by the windshield aren't actually screws. You just need to turn them about 1/4 turn to loosen them in their hole. Be careful not to break them (4 of mine already were from the previous owner) because they are plastic.

mwolski is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera

Quote Originally Posted by elvin315 View Post
    GM/ACDelco PN= 90494182

RockAuto . com...................$27
    GMPartsDirect . com.............$26

Elvin

I'm working on mine and I've noticed that the replacement part only has 3 pins. The original has 4 pins, so obviously the replacement doesn't fit into the female socket. I ordered from rockauto and the AC Delco PN matches, any ideas?

normalicy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

I'm working on mine and I've noticed that the replacement part only has 3 pins. The original has 4 pins, so obviously the replacement doesn't fit into the female socket. I ordered from rockauto and the AC Delco PN matches, any ideas?
    Got mine @ O'Reilley Autoparts, but it plugged right in.

Twexter2009 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Catera

Replaced cps sensor but it still does not start

Twexter2009 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Catera

Exclamation Re: 98 Catera Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement - Cranks Won't Start

Re: 98 Catera

Replaced Crankshaft Position Sensor But it still does not start.

Any advice?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.