EBTCM Removal.... any tips. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, EBTCM Removal.... any tips. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Does anyone know if the ECBTM can be pulled from a wrecked vehicle and installed in another vehicle? Is there ...
    Charles Anderson is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: EBTCM Removal.... any tips.

Does anyone know if the ECBTM can be pulled from a wrecked vehicle and installed in another vehicle? Is there any reason this shouldn't be done?

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Depends on the year and model.
    Some are plug and play, some require programming.
    Usually you can do it but you have to match up the numbers to be sure you have the right one, and if it needs programming it can be done, you just have to find someone that will do it.

imprezave is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): catera

Hi guys,

I'm doing this right now and I'm wondering if it would be easier to remove the lines for the brake fluid and pull the whole assembly out? Its not a daily driver so its no problem if its down for a week or two while the module is getting fixed. Cheers!

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Not been in that area myself but there are lot of help in this thread already. I am attaching a URL below if it is of additional help and shows how various parts are connected,

http://www.compnine.com/index.php?u=...04&grouptype=B

Good luck.

xerods is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

After I remove the EBTCM do I not need to bleed the brakes? I don't see any mention of that in any instructions.

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Quote Originally Posted by xerods View Post
    After I remove the EBTCM do I not need to bleed the brakes? I don't see any mention of that in any instructions.
    I believe the instructions in the following are pretty detailed and seem to indicate no touching of brake fluids,

http://modulemaster.com/en/Cadillac/Catera_info.php

The EBTCM just modulates braking pressure to prevent locking in support of the ABS operation. I believe the brakes still work without the ABS. Perhaps some of the experts can guide or you can contact modulemaster folks if you are getting yours repaired.

Cheers.

It depends on what you actually remove.

If you service the EBTCM with the hydraulic unit (BPMV) still mounted in the car, and you don't loosen any lines, then no.
    The EBTCM is a circuit board attached to several electromagnetic solenoids. The solenoids pull valves in the module but there is no direct physical link save for the bolts that hold the two pieces together.
    Basically the rule is, if you open a brake line, then you bleed it. If you don't then no need.

xerods is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

I did that the whole thing out. I have no idea how you would get it out with taking the BPMV out also.

Thanks.

Replacing the EBCM without taking the BPMV can be done, but granted on a Catera, either way it is a nightmare.

Jared002900 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera

I took my EBTCM out of my Catera the other day. I followed a combination of the instructions provided on this thread. However, when I separated the EBTCM from the BPMV, I did not see any wave springs. Where are the wave springs located??? and do I need them?

I found it easiest to take the two nuts off either side of the BPMV, that way I was able to pull the unit up a little bit to get to the middle screws. The bottom ones took a combination of extensions as stated earlier in the thread.

Also, here is a link to a company that rebuilds these for $50 on ebay. I am sending mine out tomorrow.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...e=STRK:MESE:IT

conflicting is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 cadillac sts, 2003 cadillac cts

nice info!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.