Brake and Shock recommendation
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Brake and Shock recommendation in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi everyone, I'm about to replace all of my brakes and shocks. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations ...
    lawnpatio is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Brake and Shock recommendation

Hi everyone,
    I'm about to replace all of my brakes and shocks. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for brands at all?? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

morourke is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Catera

Re: Brake and Shock recommendation

The OES pads will be the best. The 97's had Jurid 501. Not sure what was OE on the 99. Bendix Premium should also be good. If Bendix, check edge code for ZRE or ZQE for the formula code.

miahcornell is offline Cadillac Owners Member

koni sport shocks are available.

NJ_Catera is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

As for the brakes....from now on I'm getting the ceramic type pads. My wife put some on her '05 van and there is barely...if any....brake dust on the wheels. They're kind of expensive but I'll be getting those from now on.

dachew is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I just finished replacing the front struts on my 99'. Only replacements I was able to find were Monroe and KYB. I chose the Monroe. Two problems I found with them was that the spring perch was a little bigger around than on the OEMs and it interfered a little with my spring compressors. Second, the boot kit Monroe offers only sort of works. The upper insulator that comes with the boot kit doesn't fit the upper mount - Had to use the old one. Also, the new shaft lock nut that comes with the new strut is a little taller than the OE so the upper mount plate sticks up a little more under the hood.

97cateraowner is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by dachew
    I just finished replacing the front struts on my 99'. Only replacements I was able to find were Monroe and KYB. I chose the Monroe. Two problems I found with them was that the spring perch was a little bigger around than on the OEMs and it interfered a little with my spring compressors. Second, the boot kit Monroe offers only sort of works. The upper insulator that comes with the boot kit doesn't fit the upper mount - Had to use the old one. Also, the new shaft lock nut that comes with the new strut is a little taller than the OE so the upper mount plate sticks up a little more under the hood.
    The upper mount plate sticks up in my 97 after replacing with Monroes. I ordered the top bushings and they are being installed tomorrow in hopes to close this gap. Wish me luck. As far as brakes...Wagner ThermoQuiet pads work great. I have yet to get a warped rotor since switching to these.

dachew is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by 97cateraowner
    The upper mount plate sticks up in my 97 after replacing with Monroes. I ordered the top bushings and they are being installed tomorrow in hopes to close this gap. Wish me luck. As far as brakes...Wagner ThermoQuiet pads work great. I have yet to get a warped rotor since switching to these.
    I doubt that replacing the strut bearing is going to close up that gap. The gap really is not a problem as far as driveability is concerned but I can understand why someone wouldn't like the way it looks. A cheap fix for the gap problem, as long as your strut bearings are still good, would be to simply go to the dealership and replace the strut shaft nut that came with the Monroes with an OE nut. You might even find a replacement at a good parts store. That'd cost under $10 (Except that the strut will have to be removed, spring compressed, shaft nut replaced, then reinstalled.). I thought about doing that but after driving the car for a few days and being REALLY happy with the dramatic change in ride quality (both the original struts were completely worn out so the new ones suddenly make the car feel very good) I'm leaving it alone. I've got other chores to attend to.

97cateraowner is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Smile Re: Brake and Shock recommendation

Well I picked up the car from the shop and the bushing/bearing replacement did fix the problem with the upper mount plate. It is now flush with the strut towers. The car no longer makes a thump when you hit a bump. I had them give me the old ones to inspect and they looked worn out.
    My recommendation is to replace the bushing when you replace the strut.
    The Monroes for some reason are sold separate.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.