Catera coolant leak - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Catera coolant leak in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ok i'm at work so i don't have luxury of reading ALL of the posts, although i have read first ...
    PattysCaddi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Catera

Re: Catera coolant leak

ok i'm at work so i don't have luxury of reading ALL of the posts, although i have read first 3 pages.. if i'm lucky enough to get seen, i need help or pointed in the right direction.
    i have a 1997 Catera w/ 94k miles. the cooling has been giving me a problem that stop leak isn't helping anymore, so i swapped out the radiator that had a clear crack in it.
    i was unfortunate and uneducated enough to not know that you should bleed the radiator system before excitedly driving my car home when POP! hot coolant rushes into my passenger side.
    and rapidly outside of my car..

what i need, is the easiest directions to access the back of the engine area, and under my passenger dash, since i have to do this myself.. i need to check if its a hose or the core itself, easy fix i hope... if it werent bad enougth that i snapped connection off a $450 "smog reducer" while trying to remove a heater hose.. this is the most fragile, most expensive car i have ever worked on, i think they designed it to make DIY's fear it, so that we take it directly to the dealer.. they break the damn thing so they dont have to work on it either... but i do love this car, shame about all the problems it has.
    i have no money to spare at a dealership, everything ive broke on this car has avg'd $400 dollars thank god these things are popping up regularly in the cash and carry junkyard. paid $27 ($350) bucks to get a coil pack, and $7 ($450) for the damn smog reducer.. sorry i think im having a meltdown..

k man is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 catera

i realize this thread is old, but i am hoping someone can offer insight to fixing the oil cooler/heat exchanger problem that plagues this car. I am going to give this a try myself, I have worked on cars before, and what i don't have in knowledge i make up for in determination.

1. when disconnecting the fuel lines from the rail, is disconnecting the negative battery cable enough, or is there some other relief valve i must find and deal with?
    2. how likely is the repair to hold? would i be better off attempting the aftermarket cooler option linked to this repair?
    3. is it necessary to replace the intake/plenum gaskets when reassembling things back together? there is no mention of this as being necessary in the step by step pdf document explaining the job.

thanks- I really hope someone can help-

olddavid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 Eldorado(sold)99 SLS(sold) 98Catera

You don't need to replace the O-rings on the plenum. I haven't yet and I've had them off twice. The best detailed pictures I've found at the Omega Owners Forum. The Europeans have been working on these for years, as they still sell a version of it today. Just be sure to note where the advice comes from. I made the mistake of forgetting the driver side of an English car is opposite our own. As for the oil cooler, why compound their bad design by re-installing it? An aftermarket remote mounted unit has to be a smarter alternative. I always use Mobil 1, so the temp factor is mollified. I'm just concerned as to how you would close the coolant openings after the change. Has anyone done this? My car has 76k on it, and although my cooler is sound, I have to anticipate the repair if it fails.

normalicy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

I ended up cutting the lines near the oil filter and just looping them with some hydraulic hose. I did this probably 5 years ago. Make sure you get the hose done right, or you'll dump all your oil in seconds if it fails. My engine temps have always been reasonable.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.