Catera coolant leak - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Catera coolant leak in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I thought the 98's ran DEXCOOL or compatible... Why is your fluid green?...
    graphicsman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera

Re: Catera coolant leak

I thought the 98's ran DEXCOOL or compatible... Why is your fluid green?

whereditgo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

It's actually my dads car, this is the first time I have worked on it.

Do I need to flush/replace the anit-freeze????

Thanks

DEXCOOL is the orange stuff. I was surprised to see green antifreeze in your pictures, but maybe only the 99+ engines are dexcool. Anyone know if the older engines, or current for that matter, are happy with the green stuff? Supposedly

I know prestone sells an antifreeze that is supposed to work with either color fluid, but I thought that was yellow in color. Maybe there is a green one as well.

Interesting articles http://www.imcool.com/articles/antif...l-macs2001.htm
    http://autorepair.about.com/cs/cooli.../aa052601c.htm

They mention corrosion issues that suggest a full coolant flush if you see oxide buildup on components.

Interesting response from Chad in the other Catera forums:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...s/message/4732

So, maybe running green is okay if you are sure the coolant was flushed completely.

Marks DTM Calib is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Vaux Omega (Caterra)

Over in the Uk many of us have now converted across to the long life red stuff......including units as old as 95.......nothing realy changed on the cooling setup throguhout the manufacturing life of this power plant and hence the red is fine. (it was factory fit in the UK as of 2001)

Just make sure its a 50:50 mix and changed every 2 years!

Well, it appears the leak is still present after the thermostat has been replaced . I would like to investigate option 5) Coolant pipe to rear of block seal.

What is the best way to gain access to this part of the engine (any tips/hints)?

Thanks in advance

Pop the plenum off and remove the inlet system so you can see the valley. At the the rear of the valley you will see a large stainless steel pipe that travels around the 1-3-5 cylidner head to the rear where it attaches with two torx headed bolts (T12 I think), access to them is easier if you remove the heater bypass valve and associated pipes (two faston connectors to the bulk head, one clamp to the coolant bridge and one to the stainless coolant pipe plus a single vaccum connection).

There is an additional fixing screw on the 1-3-5 head into the lifting bracket and then two coolant pipes to remove, one to the header tank and the main return pipe from the rad. It should now move enough to get to the O-ring and allow it to be replaced. Do clean the block surface with some fine carboundrum paper (emery) before re-fitting.

Whilst its stripped inspect the vallet for signs of leaks paying attention to the stat to block seal, oil cooler plate and coolant bridge seals.

I appreciate the clear/detailed instructions. I will do this shortly (today/tommorrow), as I plan to replace the oil cooler in the process.

Thanks

If doing the cooler......disconnect the oil pipes at the block end first....dont bend them as it can result in oil leaks and they are a swine to refit once bent!

Also make sure the block etc is fully clean before applying the grey sealent, I also us this sealent on the thermostat to block interface to.

I was a little late in reading your post ...

Oil cooler replaced, looks like my coolant leak is solved. Will need to drive for a while. I did not seal the thermostat with the RTV, gasket should hold for the remaining expected life.

I did bend the oil line slightly near the front of the block a bit to get the oil cover off. During installation, I started block/oil line nuts then tightened cooler/oil line nuts, then went back and tightened block/oil line nuts.

I did notice smoke on the drivers side exhaust manifold (burning oil). I have my fingers crossed as there was some spillage when topping off the oil, time will tell. Your warning on the bend has me a bit concerned. (Is the leak resulting from bending due to a kinked/cracked line, or poor seal at the block/oil line nut???)

I replaced the Heater Control Valve even though it was not leaking (precaution).

Flushed radiator, and purged until water ran clear, replaced standard green anti-freeze with DEX-COOL.

Added a container Techron Fuel Injector cleaner and a filled-up of High Test...

Also checked the records and the timing belt tensioner recall was taken care of in 2002 at ~40K.

Anything else that will need attention on a 98 CAT with ~75K miles, or should I start a new thread...

Thanks Again ...

Just a quick follow-up.

Could someone tell me the book hours for oil cooler replacement, thermostat replacement and heater control valve replacement?

Also, has anyone replaced, or thought of replacing the hard oil cooler lines with flexible lines?

Thanks.

Burning Oil odor went away after a few days. It must have been residual oil that spilled when filling.

There was one hose that did not appear to be connected, and if I re-call it was not connected prior to dis-assembly. Also the end does not seem to be distorted as is typical when fitting a hose to a barbed connector and tightened with a clamp.

Is this a drain hose, or does it need to be attached (vacuum hose)?

See photos.

Thanks

Thats the auto box breather hose and does not need connecting to anything.....

Very clean engine bay by the way....

Any chance you could take a pic of where the aux electric coolant pump bracket attaches to the cruise control unit under the coolant expansion tank.....its rare to see this in the Uk and a common question when upgrading base model Omegas to cruise....

Yes, it is clean, my dad got the car back and noticed some white grease on the engine compartment, and had to immediately wipe it off. I use the grease in my socket wrenches to capture difficult to reach bolts. I told him the grease helps to preserve the engine .

Instead of posting the photos of the cruise control here in the Coolant thread, I started a new thread:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ol-photos.html

Let me know if you need anything else, as I do not think I would have had any fun trying to solve the coolant leak without your insight.

Thanks Again!!!

BLK98LAC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 catera

after reading this im gonna put in my problems.

yesterday my coolant light popped on. i topped off with DEX and was on my way. this morning on lunch break my light came back on. figured i would top it off after work. while my car was sitting outside i noticed that something was leaking from under the car, BAD.

i brought the car into the bay and found i was leaking coolant on the back of the engine. i looked between the trans and the passenger side exhaust and saw a mass of coolant on what looked to be a T hose?

is the heater control valve around there?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.