catera in the snow?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, catera in the snow? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; to those who drive their catera in the snow what do u do to keep the back end from spinning ...
    gritter is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 silver smoke CTS

catera in the snow?

to those who drive their catera in the snow what do u do to keep the back end from spinning out?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

R-Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2 1997 Cateras: black&ocean green

Re: catera in the snow?

read the other thread: "Snowflake next to the shifter"

Dovan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '99 Catera

3 10" JL 10w3, bout 80lbs of MDF board, and a couple of amps.

Vesicant is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None :(

Quote Originally Posted by Dovan
    3 10" JL 10w3, bout 80lbs of MDF board, and a couple of amps.
    ^^

Hey, sandbags work well on RWD vehicles too Lol

1998catera is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Shopping!

I (meaning my dad when he drove it in january before i got my licence!) didn't have problems with it at all. . . once we got it out of the parking spot! But yeah, my whole family (Caddy lovers all!) usually use sand bags. . . or a dead relative, which ever is handier...lol just kidding!

Cat-a-Tonic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera

My mechanic's mother & M-in-L are both driving Cateras in the winter. "Mike" (my mechanic) mounts narrow snows on narrow rims from Saturns. More lbs per square inch contact force. Turn traction control off in town or you'll end up slowing down when ya want to speed up to clear oncoming traffic. But TC will save your ass on the highway before you know you're loosing traction. Had a Audi fly by me (doing about 60 mph) last winter on snow covered hi-ways. About a half mile down the road we saw the rotating headlights, tailight, headlights. She's done a 540 spin and was sitting on top of the left side snowbank. LOL. Wave bye-bye. Cars had already stopped. I'm not that cold hearted. Well I don't thinks so.

miahcornell is offline Cadillac Owners Member

TC ALMOST KILLED ME MANY TIMES! It is a terrible system, it just kills the engine. I turn it off everytime I get into my car, especially in the winter. Ive had so many near-misses after pulling out onto a fast road and giving it some foot, then the car will stop, and I will just look at the oncoming traffic

I have Khumo ASX tires on my car, and theyre pretty darn good. Yeah it slides, but its predictable. I also have a pair of kicker l7 12's in the trunk, so add 100lbs maybe?

Ive never driven a front wheel drive car before, so I guess I'm used to the rear end sliding.

Winter snow advisory here, I definitely had some fun today I live in a college town, so because of the holidays everyone went home. I have every parking lot to myself

liv2wrshp is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Yeah, I absolutely hate this thing for the snow. It can be a little frost and slippin and slidin everywhere! How many sand bags do you guys use? My driveway is a really slight incline, but there are days that I can't even pull up into the garage. Our 96 Sebring gets up like there wasn't even snow though. odd.

miahcornell is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Your sebring makes it up because front wheel drive is king in the snow.
    The catera has wider profile tires, which makes it even slicker in the snow. People who have previously driven fwd also dont react the same to slides. Too many people think the car is going to react like fwd, and they dont understand the car is going to push them.

Put as many sandbags as you see fit in your truck, and start doing donuts in the parking lots. Not only are they fun, but when you get sucked by slush on the highway youll know how to pull out of it. Not to mention look cool in front of your passengers by acting like it never happend.

mccombie_5 is offline Cadillac Owners Master

I had an Omega a few years ago, and I have had many RWD cars. By the time I had the Omega I was experienced enough to know how to winter drive with RWD.

When I had a Rover 3500 SD1 back in 78, we used to put six sandbags in the trunk, three in the back seat, and one in each rear footwell, it worked a treat.

Otherwise, turn off your traction control, weigh the back end down, and be careful (you can still have fun)

inconnu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I would agree that its fun to spin in an empty parking lot but its kinda dissappointing when you can make up the hill in little bit of snow but i knew it before i bought it so i think i shouldnt blame the car just gotta learn to live with it

Cat-a-Tonic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera

Sand bags in the trunk is cool. But please don't put heavy stuff in the passanger compartment. If you should be unfortunate enough to go head first into ditch or flip, the stuff in the passanger compartment becomes a high energy projectile. Lost an old friend of mine in a sideswipe collision and her car went through the guardrail & down the embankment. The loose balast in the back seat,, well lets just say it broke her neck.

mccombie_5 is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-a-Tonic
    Sand bags in the trunk is cool. But please don't put heavy stuff in the passanger compartment. If you should be unfortunate enough to go head first into ditch or flip, the stuff in the passanger compartment becomes a high energy projectile. Lost an old friend of mine in a sideswipe collision and her car went through the guardrail & down the embankment. The loose balast in the back seat,, well lets just say it broke her neck.
    Unfortunate...

Black96Zed is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The Catera isn't too bad in winter. I don't have winter tires or weight in the back and have been through deep snow. I actually find it fun. My advice is to drive a Camaro for a couple of winters and then the Catera will feel like a 4x4.

wamanning is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 catera sport...w/ some minor customizations

a gentle right foot and common sense? nt

nt

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.