1997 Cadillac Catera , Runs sometimes when original key is held near key switch.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 1997 Cadillac Catera , Runs sometimes when original key is held near key switch. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys this is Rev again with this ongoing saga. Yesterday after replacing the steering column my 1997 Cadillac Catera ...
    Rev Green is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

1997 Cadillac Catera , Runs sometimes when original key is held near key switch.

Hey guys this is Rev again with this ongoing saga.
    Yesterday after replacing the steering column my 1997 Cadillac Catera would not start. I talked to a locksmith and was told to take the security key collar from around the old steering Column and put it on the replacement steering collar. Then I was told to take the original key and hold it near the key switch while trying to start the car, well it worked the car started and ran but when I tried to restart it it just turned over again and again. Can someone please help me out with this thanks guys.
    HELP Rev.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: 1997 Cadillac Catera , Runs sometimes when original key is held near key switch.

It sounds like the crankshaft positioning sensor which is a very common problem with this car!

Rev Green is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

Re: 1997 Cadillac Catera , Runs sometimes when original key is held near key switch.

Could you explain in more detail what you're saying about the crankshaft ?

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

No distributor in the car. The position of the crankshaft tells the ignition system when to fire. Search the site for problems about it. Then google for a better idea as to what it is.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Please don't start multiple threads on the same subject.

----------

My answer in your duplicate thread:

"The factory anti theft system disables the starter and fuel pump if the wrong key is detected. Since your engine is cranking, I'd assume that's not the issue. That said, are you using your original lock cylinder and key in the new column?

Have you pulled the codes?
    Checked fuel pressure?
    Spark?"

The collar just reads the RFID chip in the key head. It doesn't have to be swapped. If you're not using YOUR ORIGINAL KEY, or haven't programmed the car to accept the "new" key, you're going to have issues. But that would disable the starter.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.