Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1997 Cadillac Catera , Runs sometimes when original key is held near key switch.

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  MoistCabbage 
#1 ·
Hey guys this is Rev again with this ongoing saga.
Yesterday after replacing the steering column my 1997 Cadillac Catera would not start. I talked to a locksmith and was told to take the security key collar from around the old steering Column and put it on the replacement steering collar. Then I was told to take the original key and hold it near the key switch while trying to start the car, well it worked the car started and ran but when I tried to restart it it just turned over again and again. Can someone please help me out with this thanks guys.
HELP Rev.

#5 ·
Please don't start multiple threads on the same subject.

----------

My answer in your duplicate thread:

"The factory anti theft system disables the starter and fuel pump if the wrong key is detected. Since your engine is cranking, I'd assume that's not the issue. That said, are you using your original lock cylinder and key in the new column?

Have you pulled the codes?
Checked fuel pressure?
Spark?"

The collar just reads the RFID chip in the key head. It doesn't have to be swapped. If you're not using YOUR ORIGINAL KEY, or haven't programmed the car to accept the "new" key, you're going to have issues. But that would disable the starter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.