Whats With The Cooling System
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Whats With The Cooling System in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I Have Two Questions. First Is What Has Happened When Your Coolant Light Has Come On? Two What Could Be ...
    lamarr02 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Whats With The Cooling System

I Have Two Questions. First Is What Has Happened When Your Coolant Light Has Come On? Two What Could Be Draining The Coolant Other Than A Leak?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

inconnu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Whats With The Cooling System

1 Light tells you the coolant is low 2 Coolant could be going in the motor oil.

Boris is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I know it's rude to answer a question with a question but I'm a rude person.

Are you actually loosing coolant or is the light just staying on ??
    If the coolant level stays normal but the light is on the float in the overflow tank might be stuck.
    Open the cap (when the engine is cold) and move that little sucker up and down a few times and see what happens.

If you are indeed loosing coolant but cant see a leak that check your oil ASAP !

lamarr02 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

when checking the oil how can i tell if the coolant is in there.? Smell?? or how should it feel because yes i am loosing coolant.

inconnu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The oil will be milky and you can always tell that by smell too

meyema03 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

If it happened recently it might be because the temp drop and running your heater. The coolant starts flowing through the heater core and causes the level in the tank to drop. Same thing happened to me. Just add more coolant and keep an eye on it.

Hope it helps.
    Matt Meyer

97cateraowner is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The heater valve is a big culprit for coolant leaks.
    I have replaced two in 250K miles.
    The dealer replaced the first one.
    The second time I developed leaks I had the dealer look at it. They put a reserve tank on (sensor bad) and two radiator hoses and said it was fixed.
    The next day the coolant light was on. I added coolant and let it run in driveway until it warmed. The heater valve leaked and it also showed a pin hole leak in the side tank of the radiator. I replaced the valve myself and put a epoxy patch on tank so I could find a radiator shop.
    The Radiator shop tested with a pressure tester and the exopy patch leaked like a sieve! They put a OEM radiator in it $320 plus $80 labor.

surfsidetex is offline Cadillac Owners Member

how hard was it to replace ,mine leaks too,whats the procedure

Cat-a-Tonic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera

Wink Re: Whats With The Cooling System

First. Turn key to "on" so all the warning lights on the dash light.Check the "Coolant" light comes on and goes off with the rest of them. Wait a couple of minutes. Does "coolant" light come back on even though the engine isn't running? Yes? I expect you've already topped up the reservoir. there indeed is a float directly below the filler cap opening. Stick your finger in there and move the float collar down and up several times. Wait a couple of minutes. Does the light on the dash go out. No? Most likely the reed switch in the pillar of the level switch is fubared. Remove the retaining clip from the coolant reservoir next to the fender. Push the tank towards the motor untill it clears the retaining clips. Look under the tank. disconnect the wiring connector. Short out the two pins of the connector with fine wire, staple or what ever fits the pin holes. IF warning light goes out after a couple of minutes, the level switch is defective. Probably need to order a new tank or get a 'recycled' one. Good luck. Bye the way, my coolant light is on too.
    Jerry O

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.