car won't crank, but ignition is on
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, car won't crank, but ignition is on in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi all, I'm new to this forum. I have a 99 catera that I purchased. It was running great for ...
    keb
    keb is offline Cadillac Owners Member

car won't crank, but ignition is on

Hi all, I'm new to this forum. I have a 99 catera that I purchased. It was running great for a couple of mos, until the other evening when I parked it and the next day it wouldn't even crank. All of the lights were on like I had the key in the ll position, but key just turns. Need a little help. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport
    if it wouldn't even crank its got to be a better. make sure terminals are clean and tight othere then that remove battery and take it to local shop for test or places like Autozone and Advance Auto Part. u can test battery with regular voltmeter but wouldn't be able to test on amp because u will need to put a load on a battery. Store like Harbor Freight in USA sell battery tester for only $20, it always good to have one.
    I had a experience where lady told me that her starter is out cuz its cranking but wouldn't start, and here battery was 1 year old. I test battery with voltmeter just to male sure it have voltage and its showed like 13v , so I replaced starter and its ended up been a battery so u had to remove new starter, return it and install old starter with new battery. .... wish I had that battery load tester that day....

keb
    keb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I had the battery tested and it was good. Seems like it's either the ignition is finished or its not responding to the key correctly, because it stays on same position while I'm turning key....never moves.

JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by keb View Post
    I had the battery tested and it was good. Seems like it's either the ignition is finished or its not responding to the key correctly, because it stays on same position while I'm turning key....never moves.
    here is your answer

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.