Tranmission Phenomenon
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Tranmission Phenomenon in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; 2001 Catera non-sport with 68,000 miles When first driving from a cold start the engine revs to about 4000-4500rpm before ...
    dadenkern is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera

Tranmission Phenomenon

2001 Catera non-sport with 68,000 miles

When first driving from a cold start the engine revs to about 4000-4500rpm before shifting (under normal acceleration), then the tranny acts normal and shifts comfortably. Has anyone experienced a high revving tranny when cold?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

TomCat is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Tranmission Phenomenon

Yup, my '97 does the same thing when cold. It's programmed to do that to heat up the oil sooner. After driving for a few seconds or so everything settles down to normal.

david_gabriel15 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Yea my '97 does the same, like it sorta gets stuck in 1st for a second. but atfter that it drives just fine.

OpelOmegaB is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by dadenkern
    2001 Catera non-sport with 68,000 miles

When first driving from a cold start the engine revs to about 4000-4500rpm before shifting (under normal acceleration), then the tranny acts normal and shifts comfortably. Has anyone experienced a high revving tranny when cold?
    Hi,
    my 2000 Sport does the same. It's designed that way to warm up the catalysts
    faster.

I don't like revving cold engines, so when I drive off in the morning, I lift my
    foot of the accelerator pedal at 2500 - 3000 rpms and after a couple of seconds the tranny shifts and acts normally from then on.

Resilient is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 98

Same here on my Cat 98.... doesn't last long during spring, summer and fall... longer in winter.

laidback66 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

It is as others have mentioned. The ecu hold it in gear longer while the oil warms up.
    Completely normal.

ikarukeion is offline Cadillac Owners Member

A remote starter for winter use would allow the engine to heat up at a lower rpm.

OpelOmegaB is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by ikarukeion
    A remote starter for winter use would allow the engine to heat up at a lower rpm.

Hi,

that's not only THE worst for your engine, it's THE worst for your environment too.

Start your engine, let it idle for maybe five seconds if you live in a cold climate and then drive away. The engine will warm up much faster and will
    start to produce heated air in no time.

If you just let your car sit and idle, it will take much more time than under load to warm up the engine, ergo it will take your catalysts longer to warm up, ergo WAY more pollution.

R-Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2 1997 Cateras: black&ocean green

I drive to work 2 miles. I always let the engine warm up for a minute or so. Otherwise, it sounds very rough. Plus, watch the fuel level arrow move once you step on it

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.