Transmission or ECM?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Transmission or ECM? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello guys, was driving my car and suddenly check engine went off and sport mode "S" flashing, now it fills ...
    JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport

Transmission or ECM?

Hello guys, was driving my car and suddenly check engine went off and sport mode "S" flashing, now it fills like I'm driving 18 wheeler full of load and when I'm getting on speed it drives just fine, parked my car for few hours, went back in and check engine and flashing "S" not there and car drives fine. After two more trips around 8 miles each, check engine went off and sport mode "S" flashing again..... Now for me to took of from the stop I have to use manual and took of from 1 gear.
    Here is check engine code:
    P1890
    P0455 - this should be related to my bad fuel cap. I'm getting ready to order new one
    P1220
    P1700

Throttle Body was replaced 3 month ago together with used ECM

Thanks for any Help

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Seek_Low is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera

Re: Transmission or ECM?

No other Dash lights ? TC ABS ? CEL ?

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

It used to happen to my car. It's called "limp mode" and meant to just get you home or to a repair shop. I'd stop/start engine and it would clear the trouble. It got worse and stopped shifting to 3rd gear. I had it replaced with a junkyard transmission by my cousin. He told me later that his Catera's transmission died so he rebuilt my old one and put it in his car. Turns out the original problem with it was a bad 2/3 shift solenoid. I can't say for sure if that's your problem but he hasn't had any problems since.

SHIFT SOLENOIDS (421 & 422)

Another possibility is the "Range Sensor". If the contacts inside get too dirty the transmission will go into "Limp Mode". It's located on the side of the transmission (drivers side) just forward of center. To remove it there is a small metal shield that pops off. Remove 2 bolts and 1 nut that holds the shifter arm and unplug the wire harness the unit will just slide right out. You will need a torx driver to take apart the unit. Clean it but leave a little grease there so things will slide properly and to keep moisture out. Depending on how dirty the contacts are you can clean them with a pencil eraser or emery cloth.

DIRTY RANGE SENSOR

CLEANED RANGE SENSOR

You can read more about out 4L30E transmission's common problems here:
    http://etereman.com/blog/general-mot...w-to-fix-them/

This page explains the codes:
    http://www.trnw.net/z-search/4L30E.php

Quote Originally Posted by Seek_Low View Post
    No other Dash lights ? TC ABS ?
    No, no other light. And none of the codes raleted to transmission

----------

Quote Originally Posted by elvin315 View Post
    It used to happen to my car. It's called "limp mode" and meant to just get you home or to a repair shop. I'd stop/start engine and it would clear the trouble. It got worse and stopped shifting to 3rd gear. I had it replaced with a junkyard transmission by my cousin. He told me later that his Catera's transmission died so he rebuilt my old one and put it in his car. Turns out the original problem with it was a bad 2/3 shift solenoid. I can't say for sure if that's your problem but he hasn't had any problems since.

SHIFT SOLENOIDS (421 & 422)

Another possibility is the "Range Sensor". If the contacts inside get too dirty the transmission will go into "Limp Mode". It's located on the side of the transmission (drivers side) just forward of center. To remove it there is a small metal shield that pops off. Remove 2 bolts and 1 nut that holds the shifter arm and unplug the wire harness the unit will just slide right out. You will need a torx driver to take apart the unit. Clean it but leave a little grease there so things will slide properly and to keep moisture out. Depending on how dirty the contacts are you can clean them with a pencil eraser or emery cloth.

DIRTY RANGE SENSOR

CLEANED RANGE SENSOR

You can read more about out 4L30E transmission's common problems here:
    http://etereman.com/blog/general-mot...w-to-fix-them/

This page explains the codes:
    http://www.trnw.net/z-search/4L30E.php
    WOW. thanks alot. Ill try this solutions, but none of my code related to transmission, any of your codes was???
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJJO View Post
    No, no other light. And none of the codes raleted to transmission

----------

WOW. thanks alot. Ill try this solutions, but none of my code related to transmission, any of your codes was???
    Thanks
    I don't remember if there were codes or not. I did some searching regarding your codes and came up with these. Some pages aren't 4L30E specific but might point you in the right direction.

P1890 - http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=1039
    P1220 - http://www.gearchatter.com/viewpost12587.php
    P1700 - http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/0zef...does-meen.html

NOTE: You're likely right about the P0455 being the gas cap. It was on my car.

retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I would recommend what elvin suggested cleaning the range sensor / neutral safety switch. My catera had random hard shifts between 2nd and 3rd gear so I removed the switch and cleaned all the gunk out and put some dielectric grease and installed it back. This was like 6 months ago or more and so far no problems. The only issue I have is the light on the shift panel jumps around during shifting from park to drive but I just ignore that and drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by retho78 View Post
    I would recommend what elvin suggested cleaning the range sensor / neutral safety switch. My catera had random hard shifts between 2nd and 3rd gear so I removed the switch and cleaned all the gunk out and put some dielectric grease and installed it back. This was like 6 months ago or more and so far no problems. The only issue I have is the light on the shift panel jumps around during shifting from park to drive but I just ignore that and drive it.
    Your eyes belong on the road ahead anyway. I thought you knew that.

Lol!

Check engine went away last week and since that I didn't had any problems..... and I didnt touch anything on the car, it should be neutral swtich then ?. But why would it through throttle body related code ?

Neutral switch it's shaft position switch, correct ?
    part number Acdelco 96017511
    Found one on Amazon for only $117

Hello guys, month pass and I still have an issue. During this time it comes and goes by it self, but now I got more codes and and idle is jumping on parking 800-1000rpm.
    I haven't tried to clean neutral position switch yet, ill try to do it this weekends, but I just dont believe it can be related with all this codes.
    p1700
    p1220
    p1890
    p1526
    p1120
    By the way my Throttle body is like 3 month old.
    Pelase help!!!!
    Thanks

I'm guessing a vacuum problem, or the upper plastic intake piece is clogged and check the connector by the throttle body.

I will check hoses but p1700 isn't transmission code. if it's that neutral switch why would engine rpm jump like that.... wasn't doing it when it's started month ago. but this weekends I'll se what I can do. il pull all hoses and neutral position.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.