changing fuel filter in 97 catera
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, changing fuel filter in 97 catera in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; is this something i could do at home with no hoist? Where is the fuel filter loacated on a 97 ...
    gritter is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 silver smoke CTS

changing fuel filter in 97 catera

is this something i could do at home with no hoist? Where is the fuel filter loacated on a 97 catera? anybody got a walk through for changing it out that i could look at?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Boris is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: changing fuel filter in 97 catera

Just yesterday I had my fuel tank down because of some idiot mechanic who messed up a fuel pump replacement and I loosing fuel at every turn.

The filter is bolted to one of the straps (the right one)that hold the fuel tank in place, very easy to get to with just a jack. Look for it right behind the rear right wheel.
    Just one bolt holding the filter on and 2 banjo fittings on the lines, can't go wrong.
    Do your self a favor and don't take it to some grease monkey that will charge you an arm and a leg for this and most likely screws it up.

gritter is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 silver smoke CTS

right wheel as in the driver side rear wheel correct?

Boris is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Right rear as in passenger side.

Or right as if you were sitting inside behind the steering wheel.

inconnu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Right rear passenger side,and make sure that you spray something to loosen the bolts before you use a wrench,most of the times fuel lines are rusted and they can snap very easy

gixxer_751 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

good post

alvarofue is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I changed mine about a week ago.
    First you must relieve the fuel pressure using a valve located behind the engine (below the vacum hoses of the intake) in the fuel line. You can do it without this, but you will spray a lot of fuel.
    The filter needs a special tool (the same used in some chryslers), but with the help of a screwdriver you can easely take it off (I do it so )
    Make sure you place the new filter in the correct position (looking the flow arrow)

(Here is a picture of the tool: http://www.hazet.com/prod_pdf/058/058624ba.pdf)

AllenPacla is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

And take note of the copper washers that should come with the new filter. If I remember it right, there should be 4 of it. You will know where to place them once you get to start working on it. Pay attention to what you are doing so you won't get anything in the wrong position or something of that sort. I didn't relieve the pressure when i did mine so I was sprayed with some fuel while doing it. Get some plastic sleeve to wear on top of any sweat shirt so it won't get into your skin because it burns I'm telling you. Before you put the new washers on, i suggest that you get a sand paper and just sand the surface of the washers, both sides, you can put the sand paper on any hard flat surface and then run the washers back and forth. This will assure a good seat on the connectors where you'll use it on. You'll see. Check the washers carefully for any dent because, just a small dent can cause some serious leak. I don't remember using that special tool described on the previous message, I remember using regular wrenches. Wear a goggle by the way.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.