Cadillac Owners Forum banner

OnStar system pinouts?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  marko69 
#1 ·
Hi all. I was looking at this thread where the poster removed the entire OnStar system from his Camera: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...5-photo-essay-removal-all-star-equipment.html

I was thinking that it would be interesting to replace the OnStar computer with something else interesting. Hook the microphone up to a computer and mount a screen in the center console, write a program to do some voice command type things. Maybe have it display some OBDII diagnostic info, calculate range, whatever. I would like to mount the computer (small fanless type) in the back where the OnStar equipment is and utilize the connectors there to do whatever stuff I would be doing. So does anyone have like a pinout diagram for the OnStar system connectors? And also any important supporting information about any signaling protocols used, etc.

Also, does anyone have any technical information about the screen found in the Omega B's instrument cluster? I'm not really interested in using the GPS system... I doubt up-to-date US maps are available for it. I just want to display my own information. So anything about how to interface with that screen would be great, thanks.

#2 ·
The Omega display screen isn't compatible with the Catera's ECU. They don't use the OBDII protocol that we do here. You'd be better off buying a ScanGauge II. It hooks up to the OBDII port under the steering wheel and will display multiple parameters like speed, RPM, coolant temp, MPG, range, and more. I have one and am pleased with its performance.

#3 ·
No, no, you must be misunderstanding my intentions. I already have an OBDII scantool. I'm doing this for fun haha. I want to output video from a computer mounted in the trunk to the screen that shows whatever info I want. I would write a program to do it and I already know how to do that component of it... communicating over the OBDII protocol, etc. I just don't know how I would interface with the Omega's screen and the OnStar buttons, microphone, whatever else interesting is on the connector to the OnStar equipment.

There was some talk about the Omega B's screen and the Catera here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...277209-adapting-european-dic-into-catera.html Just nobody really seemed to do anything about it. My instrument cluster light is out and I figured, why not try something fun/interesting instead of just replacing the bulb or whole panel or whatever I would have to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.